PDA

View Full Version : For Wys: How to Eat Crow, as Henry is named AFC Offensive Player of the Week

Ð
10-17-2002, 07:06 AM
Crow Recipes (http://www.crowbusters.com/recipes.htm)

nfl.com story (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/5806860)

Talk @ poetic justice (and perfect timing to boot) :D

casdhf
10-17-2002, 07:16 AM
:lol:

Earthquake Enyart
10-17-2002, 07:41 AM
Crow Creole
submitted by George Carpenter

Ingredients
2 medium onions
2 fresh chilies chopped
2 ribs celery
3 cloves garlic minced
¼ pound butter
16oz. chicken broth
1 can whole tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste
8oz. ketchup
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
1 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
1/2 tablespoons garlic sauce
1/4 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 pound (12 pieces, or so) crow breast chopped into bite-sized pieces
Preparation
Brown the crow breasts in a skillet with butter or oil. When browned, place them in a Sauté onion, celery, chilies and garlic in butter until tender. Add the above ingredients and all of the remaining ingredients to a crock pot and cook on low for 6-7 hours.

To serve, heap about 1 cup of rice in the center of the plate, and ladle a generous amount of the sauce around it. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley

NC-BILLS44
10-17-2002, 07:53 AM
I love it!

WG
10-17-2002, 08:19 AM
EE,

Dang son! Can ya add a few more ingredients...! LOL

Don't get too excited w/ a performance over one team, aka the Texans, there fellas.

I'll be happy if Henry puts up a good game on Sunday. If he doesn't, IMO we don't have much of a chance in this one. We surely aren't gonna win by shutting them down. Drew needs Henry to be on.

So your "Crow recipe" may be a bit premature and the cooks may be eating their own stew! I'm not gonna come down on ya hard if Henry doesn't play well, b/c it won't be something that I'm happy about. But it certainly won't be much of a ringing endorsement and if he doesn't play well, guess what that means?

It means I'll have been totally and completely right. So keep that,....stew...., simmering for now and don't jinx us, eh!

I'll be happy to belly up to the "Crow bar" if Henry has some good outings against some good rushing Ds this year; Miami and S.D. have two of the better ones.

But I also predicted that Henry would likely have a decent game last week. The BIG question is can he string several good games together? Guess who's eatin' the crow if he doesn't???

Hold on to your hats...

;)

casdhf
10-17-2002, 08:36 AM
If Mike Williams doesn't play, it will be tough...Not that it would have been easy anyways...but if he gets in a groove and they had him the ball more than 11 times...I think we'll have a descent day on the ground

Scott
10-17-2002, 11:22 AM
I agree that a strong running game will be key, we don't need 100 yds from TH but we need to control the ball and keep our lousy defense on the sidelines.
Good news is a cold front came through FL last night, not sure if it will stay around until Sunday or not.
But there is a chance it may not be 90 and humid, that will help.

Lori
10-17-2002, 12:31 PM
Well....Miami has given up exactly one 100-yard rushing game this year (to Edgerrin James), so I'm not exactly holding my breath expecting Henry to break OJ's single-game team record this week.

That said, Henry DID have a decent game - 19-97, with a TD and NO FRIGGIN' FUMBLES! - against the Fishies last year. (If we'd had any clue as to how to stop Chambers, a game we would have easily won.) Let's hope that was a sign of things to come re: Miami, and not an aberration.

Here's a trend from last week's game that I like, though - prior to the Bills game, the most yards Houston had allowed to a single RB was Edgerrin's 25-88, for 3.5 ypc (compared to TH's 28-159, 5.7). Indeed, Travis had more rushing yards against Houston that any TEAM they'd played in their first four games. Interesting indeed that this happens with Marcus Price, not Mike Williams, playing most of the game at RT....

I'll be curious to see what happens this week.

WCoastFin
10-17-2002, 12:40 PM
Hey Wys, after or if you learned something like the thread title says :D , be prepared cuz after sunday youre going to have to be doing lots of teaching!

WG
10-17-2002, 12:46 PM
Yeah, I'm very curious as well.

cas,

Henry won't get the ball that many times if we go down early in this one. If by chance the Phins have a 14+ point lead at the half or at anytime in the 3rd Q, then we obviously will have to throw unless by some strange stroke of fate we happen to be stopping Williams.

Lori,

Yes Travis did have a 100-yard game last year against the Phins, but that was the game where they had a HUGE list of injuries, Madison and/or Surtain was out, and I think Taylor was out, and a whole bunch of other players. I don't remember exactly who other than at least one of their corners, but that team wasn't playing well against anyone during that "injury stretch." Van Pelt had his only game of the year during that time v. Miami.

The D we face on Sunday is much stronger.

IMO, we need to run Henry early and often, only if it is working however, to try and "balance out our O" as quickly and effectively as possible. We cannot afford to get into the Wade Phillips/Pendry mold where we run two times for short yards, fail on 3rd down, and then punt, if we are forced into passing too early then it won't be good. I'm tellin' ya, we can win this, but we're gonna have to play almost flawless ball here. No TOs. No fumbles by Henry that go for TDs. An INT or FR or two may be needed, and Henry needs to contribute on the ground.

Our D cannot be relied on here. Even w/ Lucas, Gadsen, and possibly Chambers out, the Phins are still gonna score at least high 20-some points, and that only if we're lucky. I have no trouble imagining a 180 yard 3 TD performance by Williams on Sunday. If the D or passing game adds to that, then we're in a world heap of trouble.

Coaching prior to this game to stress not making mistakes and not giving the Phins 130 yards in penalties will be crucial.

WG
10-17-2002, 12:50 PM
Fin,

Huh?

Put the booze down and have some coffee and then say that in other words...

:D JK Fin!!

I didn't understand what you said though...

Lori
10-17-2002, 01:24 PM
Wys,

Indeed. If Moe freakin' Williams can run for 100 against us, then what can we expect from Ricky? Your imagination may not be too far off. And as I posted in another thread, I'm not thrilled about matching up against Lucas either. Didn't he win his last start against the Bills?
...searching....
Why, yes, he did, circa 1999 in the Meadowswamp. A nice, efficient 16-20 passing, an 8-yard TD run, and a 17-7 win (with thanks to 3 DF turnovers, including a fumble in his own end zone).
And that was against a GOOD Bills defense. (I voted for the "Gray Hole", BTW.)

Here's hoping that halftime "attitude adjustment" on D carries over from last week. Otherwise, Drew will be dropping back 50 times again, because we'll be playing catch-up all damn game again....

Lastly - no turnovers, no 100+ yards in penalties. Amen to that!

Typ0
10-17-2002, 10:37 PM
I see Henry rushing for 1200 yards this season. He definately has to address the fumble issue but with our high powered passing game teams are going to have to cheat more towards the receivers more and more as the season goes on and that plays right into the running game. I'm hoping the coaches recognize this and start handing off the ball more. I'm not going to come down on Henry when he doesn't get enough carries because there is no excuse for it unless we are down by more than 14 late in the 3rd quarter. There is no reason to panic when you get down a few points...you have to stick to the game plan or you really don't know what you are executing.

Won't be at all surprised to see Houston winning games starting this week. They are a good team...much better team that some others in the league. They have had the rookie QB blues but Carr is damn good. If he plays well they have a real shot to win games. Not that he is a one man show it is a good team...but they need him to go out there and score points.

Sabre Ally
10-17-2002, 10:39 PM
Houston can't win this week........it's the Bills curse. :D

colin
10-17-2002, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Sabre Ally
Houston can't win this week........it's the Bills curse. :D

True dat yo.

Typ0
10-18-2002, 12:56 AM
If they had Bryson they would win.

WG
10-18-2002, 05:34 AM
"I see Henry rushing for 1200 yards this season."

Indeed. But if 600 of that is against the Jets, Texans, Lions, and Cincy, and he has 8 fumbles for losses, then he more closely resembles Lamar Smith than Emmitt Smith.

The bottom line, and no one can argue this realistically, is that he needs to quit fumbling and then put up the yards when called upon to do so whether he gets 12 carries or 30.

There are plenty of teams around the league where a RB typically has less than a dozen or so carries in a platoon situation on a regular basis and they respond w/ more than a 2.5 YPC average on those games. So he can too if necessary.

Everyone is entitled to a "bad game." Or even 2 or 3 out of 16. But last year he had 8 or 9 out of 13 and this year he's had 3 out of 6. That's just undeniable even though many try to sugarcoat it.

Mad Bomber
10-18-2002, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
Crow Creole
submitted by George Carpenter

Ingredients
2 medium onions
2 fresh chilies chopped
2 ribs celery
3 cloves garlic minced
¼ pound butter
16oz. chicken broth
1 can whole tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste
8oz. ketchup
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
1 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
1/2 tablespoons garlic sauce
1/4 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 pound (12 pieces, or so) crow breast chopped into bite-sized pieces
Preparation
Brown the crow breasts in a skillet with butter or oil. When browned, place them in a Sauté onion, celery, chilies and garlic in butter until tender. Add the above ingredients and all of the remaining ingredients to a crock pot and cook on low for 6-7 hours.

To serve, heap about 1 cup of rice in the center of the plate, and ladle a generous amount of the sauce around it. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley

I lived in New Orleans for 4 years, and this sounds like an EXCELLENT Creole Crow recipe!

However, there's a much easier way, without so much chopping...
Scrape the crow off the road and drop it in your deep fryer for a few minutes. When it's done, toss it in a tupperware container with your WysWings sauce of choice ( I like the HOT, but the WysGuys sauce is even better for the more adventurous sorts).

Typ0
10-19-2002, 08:19 AM
The only thing I would argue with WYS is the team cannot abandon the run even if there isn't much success on the first six carries. I have seen this happen too many times and I think that is playing a big part in the phenomena you are speaking about. It seems to me if the run game is stuffed up early in the game and the first six carries don't go so well we just say screw it and then there are six to ten more runs in the game but they are only there as plays to keep the defense honest. Don't think it's reasonable to attack a single runner when they are put in this no win situation.

The_Philster
10-19-2002, 12:17 PM
Agreed, Typ0...giving up the run early is what hurts a lot of teams and RBs. If Pendry hadn't given up on the run as quickly as he did, Antowain Smith might still be toting the rock in a Bills jersey.

Typ0
10-19-2002, 01:06 PM
Pendry was terrible...but I haven't seen much improvement in this area with the current staff either. They should learn and they aren't.

timfromjersey
10-19-2002, 01:14 PM
Houston is not a good team averaging 13 pts a game on offense.
Carr is a talented qb though.

Wys, you talk if the Bills don't have a chance here. Let me tell you something. Lucas, even at his best showing, replacing Testaverde for most of the season, what 3 or 4 years ago, started out slow, throwing a lot of interceptions, making mistakes in judgement and not initially throwing acurately. It took him a few games to get it together. Any other time he has played, he has shown the same thing. EXPECT THAT THIS SUNDAY. The Bills will get some interceptions this week and Lucas will only hurt us with his running. The loss of Fiedler this week is bigger than you all think. I am picking the Bills for the upset this week!

timfromjersey
10-20-2002, 10:06 PM
HEY! ALL YOU ZONERS! REMEMBER THIS THREAD! NOBODY WANT'S TO RESPOND TO ME! THAT'S OK. I'LL DO IT! LOOK AT PREVIOUS POST. DID I NAIL IT OR WHAT? LUCAS DID EXACTLY WHAT I SAID HE WOULD DO!

Yeah, whether you like it or not, or me for that matter, I do know what I'm talking about.

Wys, Henry had a good game today against a good defense. Does he move up a little in your esteem, now?

NC-BILLS44
10-21-2002, 09:05 AM
Go Henry!!!