PDA

View Full Version : What the QB situation means for 2004

Throne Logic
03-26-2004, 11:25 AM
Here's how I see the upcoming season as it relates to the QB position. It's looking more and more like TD will draft a QB somewhere on Day 1 of the draft. Assuming this happens, there are 4 basic scenarios available to the Bills going into the season.

Scenario 1: Mularky & Co. fix our veteran's problems.
If Mularky can work the same wonders on Drew that he did with Kordell and Tommy, Drew has the experience and physical ability to help (notice I did not say lead) Buffalo get into the playoffs this season. No rookie can offer this. This is our only real shot for post-season action in 2004, even if you believe it is a slim one.

Scenario 2: Mularky & Co. bring in a wayward veteran and try to fix his problems.
This could either be as the backup for Drew, or the replacement for him. No currently available active veteran is better than Bledsoe (don't give me any Kordell or Doug Johnson crap. And don't twist this into making it sound like I believe in Drew - I don't). I just don't see this as a viable option with what's left on the FA market. Please note, I'd rather not go from Drew to another struggling veteran in mid-season. It just prolongs the agony (see the next scenario).

Scenario 3: Mularky & Co. fail to fix the veteran's problems.
If the season-opening veteran starter is failing, then shift gears an replace him with the backup. A drafted rookie backup would now have at least a few games of relative experience. Start the rebuilding at that point. No post-season, but what did we loose by trying. Rebuilding starts at the point of change.

Scenario 4: Mularky & Co. don't try to fix any vet's problem.
Put in a rookie draft pick to start. They're rebuilding from the beginning. We're looking at an 8-8 season if everything bounces Buffalo's way. No real hope for the post-season. Plus the rookie has no chance to ease in, at least a little bit before being thrown into the fire.

I'm all for Scenario #1. I don't really believe in Drew. However, assuming he reworks his outrageous contract, I have not heard any real strong arguments for replacing him before the season starts. "Drew sucks" comments fall under scenario #3.

Novacane
03-26-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Throne Logic

I'm all for Scenario #1. I don't really believe in Drew. However, assuming he reworks his outrageous contract,

I think you are assuming something that is not going to happen. He's gonna play this year at what his contract calls.

Mr. Cynical
03-26-2004, 12:55 PM
Scenario 1: Mularky & Co. fix our veteran's problems.
If Mularky can work the same wonders on Drew that he did with Kordell and Tommy, Drew has the experience and physical ability to help (notice I did not say lead) Buffalo get into the playoffs this season. No rookie can offer this. This is our only real shot for post-season action in 2004, even if you believe it is a slim one.

This would be nice, but I just don't see why he will change after 11 years.

Scenario 2: Mularky & Co. bring in a wayward veteran and try to fix his problems.
This could either be as the backup for Drew, or the replacement for him. No currently available active veteran is better than Bledsoe (don't give me any Kordell or Doug Johnson crap. And don't twist this into making it sound like I believe in Drew - I don't). I just don't see this as a viable option with what's left on the FA market. Please note, I'd rather not go from Drew to another struggling veteran in mid-season. It just prolongs the agony (see the next scenario).

I agree - I'd rather not go from a struggling Drew to a Slash mid season. This is why he needs to go now. Otherwise we lose alot of money and waste everyone's time. IMO, the only value of bringing in a vet is to replace Drew, not back him up. Otherwise may as well stick with Brown and a rookie. No, this won't get us into the playoffs, but I'd rather build for 05 or 06 rather than continue to bleed.

Scenario 3: Mularky & Co. fail to fix the veteran's problems.
If the season-opening veteran starter is failing, then shift gears an replace him with the backup. A drafted rookie backup would now have at least a few games of relative experience. Start the rebuilding at that point. No post-season, but what did we loose by trying. Rebuilding starts at the point of change.

Agreed except on your timing. Why waste time and tons of money and wait? Start the process now and quit jerking the fans around for yet another false hope filled year. In any case, this is the scenario I predict will play out.

Scenario 4: Mularky & Co. don't try to fix any vet's problem.
Put in a rookie draft pick to start. They're rebuilding from the beginning. We're looking at an 8-8 season if everything bounces Buffalo's way. No real hope for the post-season. Plus the rookie has no chance to ease in, at least a little bit before being thrown into the fire.

This is the closest to being my favorite option. Here's my twist on it:

Scenario 4b: MM & Co. drop Drew, get a vet to start and draft a rookie QB.
I'd say drop Drew, bring in a vet to start and ease the rookie in possibly for a few games late in the year when we know we won't make the playoffs.

Pros:

1. Saves a TON of money
2. Starts the rebuilding NOW instead of wasting another year
3. Helps get the rookie some experience
4. Keeps people's expectations where they should be - focused on '05 or '06 when we will have a legit shot.

Cons:

None, IMO, unless you really think we have a legit shot this year. Which I certainly don't.

Throne Logic
03-26-2004, 02:33 PM
kal, who are you planning on bringing in as the vet? Drew may not be a great QB, but I believe he can be servicable if the focus is taken off of him. I just don't see another vet out there who can significantly outperform Drew.

I guess I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel on the 2004 season so quickly. I see many strengths on this team that just need to be tied together a bit more cohesively.

Throne Logic
03-26-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
I think you are assuming something that is not going to happen. He's gonna play this year at what his contract calls.

That would be detrimental to this team. I will be dumbstruck if TD allows that contract to live long enough to see the start of the season. Nothing positive can come out of that.

Drew will never be worth the amount the remainder of his contract call for. More importantly, it would kill us with the CAP.

Furthermore, I really don't see TD going into the season with a QB he might have to cut in November due to salary reasons.

billzfan34
03-26-2004, 03:00 PM
All you guys are like kids at christmas...wishing for that new shiny bicycle,but getting the usual pair of socks...face it..Bledsoe is the QB for this year anyways...draft a QB for the future and go from there

Mr. Cynical
03-26-2004, 04:18 PM
kal, who are you planning on bringing in as the vet? Drew may not be a great QB, but I believe he can be servicable if the focus is taken off of him. I just don't see another vet out there who can significantly outperform Drew.

That's just it - I think you are probably right about "significantly outperforming" Drew. At best we probably would get someone to be slightly better to better. But bringing a vet in to be significantly better is not my main goal at this point. My main goal for bringing in a vet is to dump Drew and his salary, and get some playing time later in the season for our rookie qb.

This IMO is the best plan to start moving us towards bigger and better things in '05, '06...