PDA

View Full Version : Ruben Brown interest picking up...

Ickybaluky
03-29-2004, 06:00 AM
Ruben Brown has visited the Bears and Lions, and those two teams are both after him. The Patriots are also rumored to be showing interest, although he hasn't yet visited New England. It is believed Brown will decide on a new team, possibly as soon as later this week.

This Article:

Sun-Times (http://www.suntimes.com/output/bears/cst-spt-bearnt29.html)

Reads:

"The Bears also offered a three-year contract to guard Ruben Brown, an eight-time Pro Bowl player who was released by the Bills in a cost-cutting move... Brown is likely to take the Bears' offer and compare it to any other deals he receives. The team took a similar tack with free-agent offensive tackle Ephraim Salaam, who turned down an offer from the Bears and signed with the Jaguars. Brown is still talking to the Lions and Patriots."

ryjam282
03-29-2004, 07:15 AM
Great, I can't wait till we play him and I can watch....HOLDING, 79 OFFENSE, 10 YARDS.....and FALSE START, 79 OFFENSE, 5 YARDS.... and I won't even have to be mad anymore. I can't wait.

Ebenezer
03-29-2004, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by ryjam282
Great, I can't wait till we play him and I can watch....HOLDING, 79 OFFENSE, 10 YARDS.....and FALSE START, 79 OFFENSE, 5 YARDS.... and I won't even have to be mad anymore. I can't wait.

he goes to a team with a winning record and you'll be hearing...9 time all-pro and future hall of famer...

ryjam282
03-29-2004, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Ebenezer

he goes to a team with a winning record and you'll be hearing...9 time all-pro and future hall of famer...

I know right, Good point.

Tatonka
03-29-2004, 08:15 AM
future hall of famer?

Ebenezer
03-29-2004, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka
future hall of famer?

add a SB ring and he's a lock.

elltrain22
03-29-2004, 08:17 AM
Rueben Brown is not a hall of famer to me, but he has been a very good player in the league.

justasportsfan
03-29-2004, 08:21 AM
Just get him out of the AFC.

ryjam282
03-29-2004, 08:33 AM
He could be a Hall of Famer, with 9 probowls...I don't think he deserved a good portion of those but he did get them.

Goobylal
03-29-2004, 08:45 AM
If he goes to the Pats, I guarantee he won't ever get another penalty called against him. But he'll still allow his 7-8 sacks a year.

Goobylal
03-29-2004, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Miami Vice Losers

We like ex-Buffalo players to sign and be good...
As they say, you can't teach an old dog new tricks. If McNally felt that RB was worth keeping, they would have had him take a paycut and done so.

Ebenezer
03-29-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Goobylal
As they say, you can't teach an old dog new tricks. If McNally felt that RB was worth keeping, they would have had him take a paycut and done so.

rumor is that the pay cut was bigger than RB wanted to give up.

juice
03-29-2004, 11:53 AM
rumor is that the pay cut was bigger than RB wanted to give up.

How do you justify asking an 8x Pro Bowler and your best lineman to take a paycut.. they effectivly ran RB out of Buffalo.

Ebenezer
03-29-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by juice
How do you justify asking an 8x Pro Bowler and your best lineman to take a paycut.

very easily:

"Mr. Brown, we, as an organization, are honored to have your 8 Pro-Bowls and leadership on our team. We think with a SB ring on your finger you are a lock for the HOF. However, your skills are declining and you were signed by a previous organization. We value your contribution and look forward to many years of you in a Bills uniform and playing for your adopted home town. However, to win a Super Bowl we need to add several players to this line up and we need contributions from every angle. Therefore, we would like you to take a __% pay cut to help us make this possible before you are too old to win a Super Bowl."

Mr. Miyagi
03-29-2004, 12:00 PM
add a SB ring and he's a lock.
Not with Chicago he won't add a SB ring.

juice
03-29-2004, 12:15 PM
Mr. TD I'm a HOFer with another Pro Bowl or Two and that I can get on plenty of teams that are already contenders.. not a team in the middle of rebuilding.. Talk about getting old, were is the Run first Offense.. What happened to your Pro Bowl QB. I'd like to help you out but I dont get paid according to Front Office decisions, I do my job on the field, I'm the most experienced and the Best run blocker for your Pwr. Run game but a 50% paycut is out of the Question, Have you talked to your QB about a paycut yet... Last I checked there was only 1 Pro Bowler from last years Offense... Maybe it was TH who has averaged 1400 yds over the past 3 seasons.
Good luck Rebuilding that swiss cheese line from scratch.

Ebenezer
03-29-2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by juice
Mr. TD I'm a HOFer with another Pro Bowl or Two and that I can get on plenty of teams that are already contenders.. not a team in the middle of rebuilding.. Talk about getting old, were is the Run first Offense.. What happened to your Pro Bowl QB. I'd like to help you out but I dont get paid according to Front Office decisions, I do my job on the field, I'm the most experienced and the Best run blocker for your Pwr. Run game but a 50% paycut is out of the Question, Have you talked to your QB about a paycut yet... Last I checked there was only 1 Pro Bowler from last years Offense... Maybe it was TH who has averaged 1400 yds over the past 3 seasons.
Good luck Rebuilding that swiss cheese line from scratch.

"Mr. Brown, good luck signing with a new team."

juice
03-29-2004, 01:05 PM
He'll end up in NE, They want to run the ball anyway.. and with Brady and that Offense you dont have to hold pass blocks for 5 full seconds.

Goobylal
03-29-2004, 01:13 PM
The Bills won't have to hold pass-blocks for more than 4 seconds, thanks to getting rid of Gilbride and his stupid WR option routes, and going with a power running game and STICKING with it. Oh and if Ruben was truly as good as his Pro Bowl berth last year, where are the huge offers?

BigZ
03-29-2004, 02:46 PM
He'll be suffering with the Bears.

G. Host
03-29-2004, 09:20 PM
Yes and I think Bears are on the first step to getting back to winning ways was getting rid of Kordell Stewart. I will be very glad if Ruben goes out of AFC East; at times he was the only lineman who knew how to block and I would hate him to go to a team in AFC for which the coach knew how to teach other linemen. I think a lot of Ruben's penalties were compensating for fellow linemen and bad coaches.

Originally posted by Ebenezer he goes to a team with a winning record and you'll be hearing...9 time all-pro and future hall of famer...

The_Philster
03-30-2004, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by G. Host
I think a lot of Ruben's penalties were compensating for fellow linemen and bad coaches.

Honestly, his penalties the last few years have dropped significantly.

Ickybaluky
03-30-2004, 03:41 AM
It is looking like he will take Chicago's offer. The Detriot Free Press reported this today:

"Former Buffalo guard Ruben Brown, who visited the Lions last week, is believed to be close to signing a contract with Chicago..."

Detriot Free Press (http://www.freep.com/sports/lions/lions30_20040330.htm)

Ickybaluky
03-30-2004, 05:57 AM
... and the Chicago Sun-Times make it sound like he will decide in the next couple of days. The paper reports:

"The Bears' aggressive offseason isn't over yet. The club hopes to know in the next two days if it has landed guard Ruben Brown, a salary-cap castoff from Buffalo whom the Bills replaced with Chris Villarrial. Brown is represented by Eric Metz and Ethan Lock, the agents for John Tait and a handful of other Bears, which could bode well for the club, which extended a three-year contract offer to the 32-year-old."

Link: Sun-Times (http://www.suntimes.com/output/bears/cst-spt-bear30.html)