• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BIGDAWG
    Anger Management Consultant
    • Feb 2004

QB with the 13th Pick

If TD is willing to gamble last years first and wait a whole year to see if that pick pans out don't you think he would take a proven QB over the second best DE(Smith) or fourth/fifth best reciever?
    :pimp:
    Ya gotta spike those Focker"

James
  • Jan Reimers
    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
    • May 2003

I'm very much in favor of taking the best QB available at 13. If TD gets it right, he's going to be our key guy for many years. While it's always a gamble, I'd rather roll the dice on a top rated QB than a later round project.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• BillsRockSOMUCH
      Exhausted of Losing
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
      I'm very much in favor of taking the best QB available at 13. If TD gets it right, he's going to be our key guy for many years. While it's always a gamble, I'd rather roll the dice on a top rated QB than a later round project.
      I agree.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
        • May 2003

First off I don't think TD can afford to take a QB with the first pick. Not only with passing on someone who will be on the playing field from day one, but paying first round money to a QB can't intice him. There are just too many holes that need to be addressed. I think there is another QB that TD is interested in and will likely take that QB in the second or third, possibly later, and let him learn behind the starter. If you "roll the dice" on a first round QB and he is a bust, it will cost a lot.

Secondly, I fully believe that the top three QBs that are available will be gone. The second tier QBs, such as JP Losman are not worthy of the first round pick.

Comment

• ryjam282
          Offical Billszone Starting QB
          • Mar 2003

Re: QB with the 13th Pick

Originally posted by BIGDAWG
          If TD is willing to gamble last years first and wait a whole year to see if that pick pans out don't you think he would take a proven QB over the second best DE(Smith) or fourth/fifth best reciever?

Very well said.

Ryan Withey
          Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• BuffaloRanger
            WORK HARD. PLAY HARD. LIVE HARD.
            • Mar 2003

A first round QB would kill the Bills.

There are always quality QBs out there in FA. A couple will be there next season if needed.

Just because the Bills have never developed a QB prospect in their 44 year history doesn't mean they can't now right? LOL
            Buffalo Only and Always.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
              • May 2003

Re: QB with the 13th Pick

That is the thing, TD did gamble with last years pick and that is exactly the reason he can't gamble with this years.

Comment

• ryjam282
                • Mar 2003

Why not? McGahee will play this year and we will wind up getting something for either Henry or him so it will pay off in the long run, it will give us another pick in the future so I don't see why not.

Ryan Withey

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                  • May 2003

Originally posted by ryjam282
                  Why not? McGahee will play this year and we will wind up getting something for either Henry or him so it will pay off in the long run, it will give us another pick in the future so I don't see why not.
                  If you are replying to me as to why the Bills can't gamble again in the first round, it is simple. The Bills took a shot at a position that they did not need. They left some good players on the board to take a shot at a possible stud RB. The future is now and even if Henry is traded, those picks won't be available until next year. This team has plenty needs and they cannot afford to take a chance like they did last year, this draft has to address more important needs than to take a gamble.

Comment

• ryjam282
                    • Mar 2003

WR is not a need position for us. Reed has to have at least this year to see if he can do it. Giving up on him so fast is pretty much saying you wasted the pick in 2002. QB is a need for us, we have Travis Brown as the backup, that's it. We need someone else in there, not necessarily for next year but for the year after and many more to come. What else is a need position that would not be a stretch at pick #13? I know we need some OL help but there will be plenty in round 2 as well as WR's. Vernon Carey, #13 is a little too early for him so that is not an option. Who else???

Ryan Withey

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• elltrain22
                      • Sep 2003

I am not against any of the alternatives, although i really think we either going de or wr w/ our first choice, but as we all know, TD is much a man for surprises. I just can't wait for the draft...
                      If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• Tatonka
                        • Jul 2002

so he should take the 3rd best qb, instead of the 2nd best DE or the 2nd best DT or OL?

i think TD will take the best available athlete... period.. he always does.. if none of the guys that he rated as high first round talents are at that spot, he will try and trade down..

TD is not going to chance his whole drafting style because he drafted WM last season.. he will do it exactly the same thing this year..

as far as taking a qb with the first pick.. we may very well end up with Big Ben.. and I think I remember MM saying after the senior bowl that Phillip Rivers IS a first round talent.. now that might not mean that he is a #13 talent.. but i dont see how you can say that if we dont take a qb with the first pick or we dont, it will make any difference.. how many first round pick qbs have even played in the superbowl... when you find out that number, ask yourself, is that just a fluke over 30+ years? no way.. you can get a great qb in any round.. you just gotta know what to look for.. and that concerns me more than anything.. is that maybe the bills dont know what the hell they are doing when it comes to qbs.. (or DE's for that matter).. we still have the same scouts basically since back when kelly was here.. maybe we lucked out w/ him .. because every single other qb that we have had in here has been no better than average...
                        "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• NC-BILLS44
                          • Jul 2002

Without a glaring hole at one particular position, TD will take the best athlete available. That could be a QB if one of the big 3 is left. He needs to think about the future leader of the franchise.

Comment

• ryjam282
                            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by NC-BILLS44
                            Without a glaring hole at one particular position, TD will take the best athlete available. That could be a QB if one of the big 3 is left. He needs to think about the future leader of the franchise.

Very well said....

Ryan Withey

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• Devin
                              The Octagon
                              • Apr 2003

what you have to remember RY is half these guys arent looking past this year.

You have BuffaloRanger saying if we draft a QB the Bills are dead...cmon. Look furthur then this year. The draft is a risk all around not 1 player is a "sure fire talent". Sure they could be a bust, or they could be our QB for the next 12-15 years.

Kill the team....please. Phrase your response better. You may think its a bad pick but TD could pick a punter in the 1st it isnt going to kill the team.

Rivers is a great prospect. The williams sisters will be gone (reggie will slip but i dont think hes all that great anyway), Taylor and both the other QB's will be gone. Udezi.....gone.

If TD stays to form and drafts the best player available and Rivers is there, hes wearing a Bills uniform next season. And I pray he is.

Gimme a break, to be honest I hope to god Rivers develops into a stud whereever he goes just so I can say I told you so.

Kill the bills? Never.
                              Last edited by Devin; 03-29-2004, 03:14 PM.
                              http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

Working...
                              X