PDA

View Full Version : QB with the 13th Pick

BIGDAWG
03-29-2004, 06:10 AM
If TD is willing to gamble last years first and wait a whole year to see if that pick pans out don't you think he would take a proven QB over the second best DE(Smith) or fourth/fifth best reciever?
:pimp:

Jan Reimers
03-29-2004, 06:38 AM
I'm very much in favor of taking the best QB available at 13. If TD gets it right, he's going to be our key guy for many years. While it's always a gamble, I'd rather roll the dice on a top rated QB than a later round project.

BillsRockSOMUCH
03-29-2004, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers
I'm very much in favor of taking the best QB available at 13. If TD gets it right, he's going to be our key guy for many years. While it's always a gamble, I'd rather roll the dice on a top rated QB than a later round project.
I agree.

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-29-2004, 06:56 AM
First off I don't think TD can afford to take a QB with the first pick. Not only with passing on someone who will be on the playing field from day one, but paying first round money to a QB can't intice him. There are just too many holes that need to be addressed. I think there is another QB that TD is interested in and will likely take that QB in the second or third, possibly later, and let him learn behind the starter. If you "roll the dice" on a first round QB and he is a bust, it will cost a lot.

Secondly, I fully believe that the top three QBs that are available will be gone. The second tier QBs, such as JP Losman are not worthy of the first round pick.

ryjam282
03-29-2004, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by BIGDAWG
If TD is willing to gamble last years first and wait a whole year to see if that pick pans out don't you think he would take a proven QB over the second best DE(Smith) or fourth/fifth best reciever?

:clap: Very well said.

BuffaloRanger
03-29-2004, 07:22 AM
A first round QB would kill the Bills.

There are always quality QBs out there in FA. A couple will be there next season if needed.

Just because the Bills have never developed a QB prospect in their 44 year history doesn't mean they can't now right? LOL

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-29-2004, 07:31 AM

That is the thing, TD did gamble with last years pick and that is exactly the reason he can't gamble with this years.

ryjam282
03-29-2004, 07:45 AM
Why not? McGahee will play this year and we will wind up getting something for either Henry or him so it will pay off in the long run, it will give us another pick in the future so I don't see why not.

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-29-2004, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by ryjam282
Why not? McGahee will play this year and we will wind up getting something for either Henry or him so it will pay off in the long run, it will give us another pick in the future so I don't see why not.

If you are replying to me as to why the Bills can't gamble again in the first round, it is simple. The Bills took a shot at a position that they did not need. They left some good players on the board to take a shot at a possible stud RB. The future is now and even if Henry is traded, those picks won't be available until next year. This team has plenty needs and they cannot afford to take a chance like they did last year, this draft has to address more important needs than to take a gamble.

ryjam282
03-29-2004, 08:01 AM
WR is not a need position for us. Reed has to have at least this year to see if he can do it. Giving up on him so fast is pretty much saying you wasted the pick in 2002. QB is a need for us, we have Travis Brown as the backup, that's it. We need someone else in there, not necessarily for next year but for the year after and many more to come. What else is a need position that would not be a stretch at pick #13? I know we need some OL help but there will be plenty in round 2 as well as WR's. Vernon Carey, #13 is a little too early for him so that is not an option. Who else???

elltrain22
03-29-2004, 08:10 AM
I am not against any of the alternatives, although i really think we either going de or wr w/ our first choice, but as we all know, TD is much a man for surprises. I just can't wait for the draft...

Tatonka
03-29-2004, 08:12 AM

so he should take the 3rd best qb, instead of the 2nd best DE or the 2nd best DT or OL?

i think TD will take the best available athlete... period.. he always does.. if none of the guys that he rated as high first round talents are at that spot, he will try and trade down..

TD is not going to chance his whole drafting style because he drafted WM last season.. he will do it exactly the same thing this year..

as far as taking a qb with the first pick.. we may very well end up with Big Ben.. and I think I remember MM saying after the senior bowl that Phillip Rivers IS a first round talent.. now that might not mean that he is a #13 talent.. but i dont see how you can say that if we dont take a qb with the first pick or we dont, it will make any difference.. how many first round pick qbs have even played in the superbowl... when you find out that number, ask yourself, is that just a fluke over 30+ years? no way.. you can get a great qb in any round.. you just gotta know what to look for.. and that concerns me more than anything.. is that maybe the bills dont know what the hell they are doing when it comes to qbs.. (or DE's for that matter).. we still have the same scouts basically since back when kelly was here.. maybe we lucked out w/ him .. because every single other qb that we have had in here has been no better than average...

NC-BILLS44
03-29-2004, 08:20 AM
Without a glaring hole at one particular position, TD will take the best athlete available. That could be a QB if one of the big 3 is left. He needs to think about the future leader of the franchise.

ryjam282
03-29-2004, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by NC-BILLS44
Without a glaring hole at one particular position, TD will take the best athlete available. That could be a QB if one of the big 3 is left. He needs to think about the future leader of the franchise.

Very well said....

Devin
03-29-2004, 03:11 PM
what you have to remember RY is half these guys arent looking past this year.

You have BuffaloRanger saying if we draft a QB the Bills are dead...cmon. Look furthur then this year. The draft is a risk all around not 1 player is a "sure fire talent". Sure they could be a bust, or they could be our QB for the next 12-15 years.

Kill the team....please. Phrase your response better. You may think its a bad pick but TD could pick a punter in the 1st it isnt going to kill the team.

Rivers is a great prospect. The williams sisters will be gone (reggie will slip but i dont think hes all that great anyway), Taylor and both the other QB's will be gone. Udezi.....gone.

If TD stays to form and drafts the best player available and Rivers is there, hes wearing a Bills uniform next season. And I pray he is.

Gimme a break, to be honest I hope to god Rivers develops into a stud whereever he goes just so I can say I told you so.

Kill the bills? Never.

BuffaloRanger
03-29-2004, 08:33 PM
"Those that forget the past are doomed to repeat it."

Devin are you a new Bills fan or have you just forgotten how devisive the RJ/DF controversy was? Really. This would the same thing if any QB was selected at #13

A #13 QB will tear the team and fans apart. People say that drafting a DE at 13 would be giving up on Kelsy or Denney. Picking a QB would be giving up on Drew. It would be a show of no-confidence. Drew will know it's his last year with the Bills. Players will start taking sides. Idiot fans will be screaming for the rookie from day 1. Too much pressure will be put on the rookie. It will become a situation that "if you like Drew, you hate the rookie" and vica-versa.

HOW IS THIS HARD FOR YOU TO SEE??

Rivers/Big Ben may be great, and I hope they do well for whatever team they end up on (not AFC east, or team Bills lost to in a SB) but it's not a good fit for the Bills. The Bills need production fron their 1st round pick this year. Not a war.

Novacane
03-29-2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by BuffaloRanger

Devin are you a new Bills fan or have you just forgotten how devisive the RJ/DF controversy was? Really. This would the same thing if any QB was selected at #13

A #13 QB will tear the team and fans apart.

there would not even be a comparason to RJ/DF. The rookie would be the QB of the future. Drew would be the guy this year and next if he has a decent year.

Novacane
03-29-2004, 09:00 PM
A lot of you are acting as if it is risky to take a QB but there is no risk at any other posistion. Any pick has a chance to be a bust and there is no guarantee any pick at any other position will help us this year. Most rookies do not make an impact

Dozerdog
03-29-2004, 09:10 PM

A #13 QB will tear the team and fans apart. People say that drafting a DE at 13 would be giving up on Kelsy or Denney. Picking a QB would be giving up on Drew. It would be a show of no-confidence. Drew will know it's his last year with the Bills. Players will start taking sides. Idiot fans will be screaming for the rookie from day 1. Too much pressure will be put on the rookie. It will become a situation that "if you like Drew, you hate the rookie" and vica-versa.

HOW IS THIS HARD FOR YOU TO SEE??

Rivers/Big Ben may be great, and I hope they do well for whatever team they end up on (not AFC east, or team Bills lost to in a SB) but it's not a good fit for the Bills. The Bills need production fron their 1st round pick this year. Not a war.

I don't see it.

To have a QB controversy you need 2 controversial QBs. Even in the midst of the Bledsoe/Brady ordeal here in Boston- Bledsoe was the consumate professional.

He did everything his power to help Brady and the team win- from giving advice, helping him in practice- and diong and saying all the right things to team mates and media. He wasn't pleased with his treatment from Bellichick- but he did not let that affect the team.

Unlike Flutie and RJ - Flutie demanded the spotlight and RJ could care less about a team concept.

Like him or not on the field- he's been a great professional off of it. So the "Draft a QB and the team will implode" theory is pretty much baseless.

Devin
03-29-2004, 10:21 PM
your comparing apples and oranges.

HOW HARD IS IT FOR YOU TO SEE?

Your saying a rookie QB and DB are gonna fued when drew screws up and fans want the rookie in? Gimme a break.

This is the NFL you play bad your out the game no matter who you are.

If your trying to not justify drafting the best possible canidate for our future QB, for the simple fact they will cause some sort of fued youll have to do better. Drew is probably a better teacher then he is QB and like he helped Brady he will help a rookie, he isnt stupid he knows hes getting up there.

And no im not a new fan.

BuffaloRanger
03-30-2004, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green

there would not even be a comparason to RJ/DF. The rookie would be the QB of the future. Drew would be the guy this year and next if he has a decent year.

"Here's your replacement Drew. From now on half of Buffalo's fans will be cheering against you, so the "new hope" can start. Train him well, so he can take your job before the end of the season. It will cost you millions. You'll have to move your family again. You want to play 5 more years? Well not here, you don't - sorry."

BuffaloRanger
03-30-2004, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by Devin
your comparing apples and oranges.

HOW HARD IS IT FOR YOU TO SEE?

Your saying a rookie QB and DB are gonna fued when drew screws up and fans want the rookie in? Gimme a break.

This is the NFL you play bad your out the game no matter who you are.

If your trying to not justify drafting the best possible canidate for our future QB, for the simple fact they will cause some sort of fued youll have to do better. Drew is probably a better teacher then he is QB and like he helped Brady he will help a rookie, he isnt stupid he knows hes getting up there.

And no im not a new fan.

Where to start...

I'm saying a #13 pick would divide the fans. Look around, the talk of it and it's already happening. Whether the QBs get along will be irrelevent. (I'm sure Drew will really like training his replacement...again. I bet those are his best memories from the Pats, right?) This board will be full of fans pulling for each QB and cheering against the other. The fan base will be divided.

Posts like...

"When will the rookie start?"
"Give the rookie a chance"
"Rookie wouldn't have taken that sack!"

will be everywhere.

It's not about Drew playing bad. If he played slightly above average fans would still be screaming for the rookie.

BUFFALO IS THE CITY THAT BOOED JIMBO AND WANTED REICH IN THE GAME AFTER EVERY BAD JIMBO PASS!!

I'd rather the Bills trade down and select Grove.

And Drew's not that old. He doesn't want to be a QB coach just yet.

BuffaloRanger
03-30-2004, 01:01 AM
Unless everyone agrees that a #13 QB absolutely doesn't play a single down this season (like the Heisman winner Carson Plamer) this message board will be full of hate from both sides. It will be like arguing religion andit will totally suck.

Give me a player that won't divide the fans. The WM/TH situation could be bad enough.

Dozerdog
03-30-2004, 06:14 AM
Unless everyone agrees that a #13 QB absolutely doesn't play a single down this season (like the Heisman winner Carson Plamer) this message board will be full of hate from both sides. It will be like arguing religion andit will totally suck.

Give me a player that won't divide the fans. The WM/TH situation could be bad enough.

We haven't drafted anybody and the board is already divided into "Fill name here"-Lovers and "Fill name here"-bashers.

It's the nature of people here. They are never satesfied. I'll bet you if ths board existed in 1990-1994 somebody would be whining abut someone.

BuffaloRanger
03-30-2004, 07:39 AM
It would have been the Jimbo/Reich debates. Alot of fans really preferred Reich. I thought he was a great back-up, the Bills were fortunate to have him. But like the saying goes "It's time to dance with the guy that brought you." Kelly brought them to the dance for years.

Devin
03-30-2004, 08:22 AM
I got news for you Ranger, whether its a rookie or a Kordell, it will be that way. If Drew doesnt play to par.....well thats life.

So by your logic we shouldnt have a backup QB. There will be animosity with fans either way....just the nature of the beast.

I cannot jusitfy not drafting a future QB just because it may potentially make Drew unhappy.

Drew plays well he stays...he doesnt someone else gets his job. Hes to expensive to suck.