Ruben Brown will be in the Hall of Fame...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

I'm sure there is at least one out there but can somebody show me an 8-Time All Pro (and not a special teams player) that is not in the Hall of Fame...How about a 9-Time All Pro?? How about an 8 or 9-Time All Pro with a Super Bowl ring??

I think it is an 80% chance that RB will be in the HOF...if he gets an 9th trip to Hawaii I say it increases his chances. IF he gets a Super Bowl ring I think he is a lock.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.
  • Tatonka
    • Jul 2002

i dont really feel like going back over the list of guys that played in the nfl to find out if there are any 8 time probowlers that got there mostly on reputation for years that didnt make it into the hall of fame..

bottom line is this.. ruben brown was never a just overwhelmingly dominant player.. and he got in on name recognition for years to the probowl.. if he is a hall of famer.. then my respect for the other hall of fame lineman has just gone down, because apparently they are not as good as i thought they had to be to get in...
    Last edited by Tatonka; 03-29-2004, 08:39 AM.
    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• ryjam282
      Offical Billszone Starting QB
      • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Tatonka
      bottom line is this.. ruben brown was never a just overwhelmingly dominant player.. and he got in on name recognition for years to the probowl.. if he is a hall of famer.. then my respect for the other hall of fame lineman has just gone down, because apparently they are not as good as i thought they had to be to get in...

I second that motion your honor.....What about that guy from the Giants, I think it was Carson. Didn't he go to a lot of Pro Bowls too? What about him, he is still waiting (although, I do think he actually deserves it.

Ryan Withey
      Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• juice
        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Ebenezer
        I'm sure there is at least one out there but can somebody show me an 8-Time All Pro (and not a special teams player) that is not in the Hall of Fame...How about a 9-Time All Pro?? How about an 8 or 9-Time All Pro with a Super Bowl ring??

I think it is an 80% chance that RB will be in the HOF...if he gets an 9th trip to Hawaii I say it increases his chances. IF he gets a Super Bowl ring I think he is a lock.

I agree.. like it or not the Pro Bowl is the standard in the NFL.

How many Pro Bowls did the Mathews brothers end up with?

If he go's Pro Bowl with another team he'd have to be considered a lock. Those eight Pro Bowls showed that he stays healthy.. alot of teams need a vet that plays at a pro bowl level.

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76

Comment

• mchurchfie
          • Jul 2002

I think that you need to get a refund on that hit of Blotter that you bought at the Peter, Paul, and Mary concert Eb. Ruben will never be much more than the answer to a "NFL's Most Overated Players Who Own the Most Sneakers" Trivia Pursuit Game 10 years from now.
          Last edited by mchurchfie; 03-29-2004, 10:43 AM.
          My Band
          daveviterna.com

Comment

• Fairway To Green
            • Jul 2002

Pro-football writers are not idiots. They know the pro-bowl is in large part a popularity contest.

That fact that there has been light interest in him shows what NFL execs think of him.

Ruben Brown in the hall of fame????? This thread belongs in the twilight zone.

Comment

• elltrain22
              • Sep 2003

good point, but i still don't think RB is a lock.
              If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• Michael82
                • Jul 2002

Comment

• helmetguy
                  Touch the helmet for luck
                  • Sep 2002

Actuall, Brown has a very good shot at the HOF. Five years after he retires, at the top of his reume will be the number of Pro Bowls he made. Whether you think he "earned" them, at this point, is immaterial. It will simply say "__-time Pro Bowl Selection." For all you stat hounds, this should be right up your alley. Is a guy good? "Well, his stats are...." Supposedly, that is the end of the arguement. Just the same, if it were based on stats alone, Lynn Swann would still be waiting for the call. As would Gale Sayers. As would Joe Namath. That five year wait gives the voters a chance to look at the guy in the context of his contribution to his team, his accomplishments, and the accomplishments of his team.
                  Someone said "What's he gonna turn out like?" Ha!
                  And someone else said "Never mind!"

-Deep Purple

"Have you ever taken a crap so big your pants fit better?"--Ron White

Comment

• Ebenezer
                    Give me a minute...
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by helmetguy
                    Actuall, Brown has a very good shot at the HOF. Five years after he retires, at the top of his reume will be the number of Pro Bowls he made. Whether you think he "earned" them, at this point, is immaterial. It will simply say "__-time Pro Bowl Selection." For all you stat hounds, this should be right up your alley. Is a guy good? "Well, his stats are...." Supposedly, that is the end of the arguement. Just the same, if it were based on stats alone, Lynn Swann would still be waiting for the call. As would Gale Sayers. As would Joe Namath. That five year wait gives the voters a chance to look at the guy in the context of his contribution to his team, his accomplishments, and the accomplishments of his team.
                    True, but it all depends on how much the backing writer goes to bat for him...if the writer thinks he is a putz then the others may follow.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• helmetguy
                      Touch the helmet for luck
                      • Sep 2002

True, but it all depends on how much the backing writer goes to bat for him...if the writer thinks he is a putz then the others may follow.
                      Very true. Then again, the backing writer could be looked upon as a putz, too. Swann probably would have gotten in much sooner if Myron Cope wasn't doing the lobbying!
                      Someone said "What's he gonna turn out like?" Ha!
                      And someone else said "Never mind!"

-Deep Purple

"Have you ever taken a crap so big your pants fit better?"--Ron White

Comment

• Ebenezer
                        Give me a minute...
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by helmetguy
                        Very true. Then again, the backing writer could be looked upon as a putz, too. Swann probably would have gotten in much sooner if Myron Cope wasn't doing the lobbying!
                        that is true.

Comment

• LabattBlue
                          • Sep 2003

How many times has RB been 1st Team "All Pro" at the guard position? This is being voted on by the AP & PFWA vs. the Pro Bowl which is a player and fan popularity contest. This is reflective of the top two players at the guard position versus the Pro Bowl where each squad carries 3-4 guards, which means 6-8 guards from the NFL. Being honored as one of the top 2 at your positon in a given year versus being named as one of the top 6-8 at your position could go a long way in terms of whether you are HoF material.

Comment

• Devin
                            The Octagon
                            • Apr 2003

RB will be in the HOF. Love him or hate him he wasnt horrible, and it may be awhile but he will be there.
                            http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• John Doe
                              Florida Man
                              • Jul 2002

Obviously - so what's your point?

Comment

Working...
                              X