PDA

View Full Version : Why is everyone so bent on the Pittsburgh Connection?

Mr. Miyagi
03-29-2004, 08:50 AM
Everytime we sign an ex-Steelers, ala Mularkey, Gibson, or Shaw, everyone screams "NOT ANOTHER PITTSBURGH GUY!!!"

Why not? Realistically, if they're any good, I don't see why we can't sign them just because they have Pittsburgh ties. How else are you supposed to sign people if you can't sign the ones you know from the past? Is TD supposed to post on Monster.com and recruit whoever is out there? I'd feel more comfortable with him recruiting people that he has personal experience with in the past than randomly getting people whom he doesn't know well.

If you are to run a company, would you recruit people whom you worked with before and KNOW that they're good, or people who give "good interviews" but you have no idea what kind of workers they really are?

TigerJ
03-29-2004, 08:55 AM
Gee, I don't think I've ever cried that. Actually I think Oliver Gibson is more about the Cincinnati connection than the Pittsburgh connection. I know TD drafted him, but Tim Krumrie coached him. I think the coaching connection is the stronger one.

ryjam282
03-29-2004, 09:14 AM
I was kidding in my post. That is why I had the smiley face on there.....I don't care where the guy comes from (well maybe not the dolphins) as long as they can help us win they can come from China for all I care.

Dozerdog
03-29-2004, 09:29 AM
I'd like to know what this "Pittsburgh" connection is-

In TD's entire run here this is his Pitt "connection"

1) Kris Ferris - Backup OL man
2) Richard Huntley- Brought in for competiotn at RB- didn't make the roster- didn't cost us a penny
3) Charles Johnson- 5th WR
4) Bobby Shaw- drafted by Pittsburgh but made his bones in Jacksonville

Coaches-

Dick LeBeau- I'll take that any day
Gillbride- That hire was made by GW, and it was their Houston Oiler ties that got him the job, not his 1 year abortion in Pittsburgh

This isn't Parcells who would leave a team (Giants, Pats,) and bring the same guys with him from team to team.

Mr. Cynical
03-29-2004, 12:22 PM
Coaches (cont'd)

Mike Mularkey
Tom Clements

QBs

Stewart ;)

Go Buffalo Steelers!!!! ;)

justasportsfan
03-29-2004, 12:28 PM
If it makes the bills better, I couldn't care less. We need to win a sb. The Pats and Bucs beat us to a sb. I don't want the Cards or the Bengals to beat us to it.

BigZ
03-29-2004, 02:48 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by justasportsfan
If it makes the bills better, I couldn't care less. We need to win a sb. The Pats and Bucs beat us to a sb. I don't want the Cards or the Bengals to beat us to it. [/QUOTE

Right On]:p:

TedMock
03-29-2004, 03:29 PM
Everybody in professional sports likes to bring in a few of their own. Heck, anybody in professional anything likes to bring in a few of their own. So far we have no more than a handful of guys with this "Pittsburgh connection". It is stupid that people do harp on it. I agree with justa.....who cares?

helmetguy
03-29-2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by TedMock
Everybody in professional sports likes to bring in a few of their own. Heck, anybody in professional anything likes to bring in a few of their own. So far we have no more than a handful of guys with this "Pittsburgh connection". It is stupid that people do harp on it. I agree with justa.....who cares?

A lot of us are still shell-shocked from the Gregg Williams "Tennessee Connection" thing.

TedMock
03-29-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by helmetguy

A lot of us are still shell-shocked from the Gregg Williams "Tennessee Connection" thing.

That's not funny! You just ruined my day. :cry:

Dozerdog
03-29-2004, 03:45 PM
This team has more ties with the bengals than steelers.... it's just another excuse to ***** and moan in the offseason.

Mr. Miyagi
03-29-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
This team has more ties with the bengals than steelers.... it's just another excuse to ***** and moan in the offseason.
Great. Steal from a team that has sucked for years until last year. :rolleyes:

helmetguy
03-29-2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by TedMock
That's not funny! You just ruined my day. :cry:

Sorry, Ted! One of those irresistable impulses, y'know?

Dozerdog
03-29-2004, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
Great. Steal from a team that has sucked for years until last year. :rolleyes:

Now you're *****ing for the sake of *****ing? What was the net result?

A dramatic jump in the improvement on our defense. God you people sound like a bunch of hens in a henhouse.

Mr. Miyagi
03-29-2004, 07:00 PM
I'm just *****ing for the sake of *****ing. I like the Spikes and Krummie signings. Even LeBeau. Gibson remains to be seen though.

The Spaz
03-29-2004, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
I'm just *****ing for the sake of *****ing. I like the Spikes and Krummie signings. Even LeBeau. Gibson remains to be seen though.

Over course Gibson remains to be seen he just signed.