PDA

View Full Version : Thou shalt draft impact players, regardless of position

The Spaz
03-29-2004, 07:28 PM
Winslow is a SportsCenter player, too, a big play waiting to happen. With his separation ability, suddenness and speed, Winslow consistently gets open. In fact, he was underused by the Hurricanes last season. The son of the Hall of Fame tight end with the same name, Winslow can make any catch you can think of -- and a few you probably can't. He also gets yards after the catch, even if it means hurdling a defender as he did against Tennessee. At 6-4, 251, Winslow doesn't have the size to be a killer blocker, but he tries hard.

What matters in the cases of Winslow and Taylor is not the positions they play, but how they stack up against prospects at other positions and how much of an impact they can make. "We'd never say because somebody is a safety that makes him less valuable," Bills general manager Tom Donahoe says. "It's not inconceivable that a safety or tight end could be the first guy in the draft, because for us, it's strictly a matter of evaluating the guy's skill."

The teams that take these players -- no matter how high -- won't be sorry.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpM2F2NGNjBF9TAzk1ODYxMDU5BHNlYwNvZQ--?slug=thoushaltdraftimpactplay&prov=tsn&type=lgns

Devin
03-29-2004, 10:24 PM
i agree with you half way spaz. I do like the idea of drafting impact players, and while winslow is about as smart as a bag of hammers, and as well spoken as a F'N soldier he can play ball.

Granted he couldnt block a 3 year old girl with his size hes deffo probably one of the best TE's ive seen in years. If he dropped sure, but he wont and I dont see trading up for him.

At any rate while you know my love for Rivers ill ultimatley have to see whos there at 13. And while i doubt my opinion will change unless something drastic happens it will be a hell of a draft.

Tatonka
03-29-2004, 10:45 PM
winslow is not a horrible blocker by any means.. he is just not heavy enough to sustain bigger guys.. but he give maximum effort..

i love both players really.. but like the article says.. if you grab one.. you absolutely have to make your gameplan inclusive of their talents.