PDA

View Full Version : I met Mike Mularkey

ryjam282
03-30-2004, 08:44 AM
Being a resident of Palm Beach county has finally paid off for me. I have a buddy that works at the Breakers Hotel here in West Palm Beach and the winter meetings are taking place this week, as many of you have seen on the NFL network. My buddy has been telling me about all the people they will have there, from owners and coachs and what not. So, I went up there yesterday........

Lo and behold after walking into this place, (beautiful by the way)I see Joe Gibbs getting into the elevator and instead of yelling out "NICE PICKUP WITH THRASH, HAHA" I just kept quiet. I saw my buddy and we went into the restaurant. I saw Mike Mularkey walking out and I stopped him, nicely by the way :), and told him I was a Bills fan and really looking forward to this season and wished him luck. He said thanks a lot and instead of running off he asked me a question. "Why the Bills, if you live here in FL." So, I gave him my Jim Kelly at UM story when I was growing up and I followed him, yada yada yada. Then I asked him what he really thought the potential of the team is this year and what he planned to do with Drew. He said, Drew will be just fine this year cause there will be less of him reading the WR's, and him just throwing to spots and the WR's being there and he really believes with this D that they can make a run at the playoffs especially if they expand it to 2 more teams. I asked him if there was any shot at them drafting Phillip Rivers and he said if he is there, he would love to have him. He said that the kid does a lot of amazing things at the QB spot. Then, he said that he had to get going cause he had to get to the golf course. I told him Good Luck and we were all looking forward to a great season.

He was a super nice guy and I am officially a Mularkey guy. I think he will do well for us. Very approachable guy and not a jerk like most of those guys can be.

buffmaniac
03-30-2004, 08:49 AM
He definitely seems like a nice guy. Now he just needs to win some games. I did like what he said about Bledsoe. I definitely think that he and the other coaches will be able to get Drew back on track.

Go Bills!

ryjam282
03-30-2004, 08:51 AM
He said last year the WR's were reading the D and doing routes and sometimes Drew and the WR's weren't reading the same thing and that is what caused some of the sacks. I was very impressed how nice he was to just some fan like me.

NC-BILLS44
03-30-2004, 08:52 AM
Rivers!!! Yeah, Baby!!!

Tatonka
03-30-2004, 08:55 AM
mikey just started sweating.. he can feel his zone bucks slipping away..

:lol:

ryjam282
03-30-2004, 09:01 AM
I know right....I thought that as well, cause I have 5,000 riding on it too.

Tatonka
03-30-2004, 09:09 AM
damn you.. you should have asked him more questions!!..

good work though.. good story.

ryjam282
03-30-2004, 09:15 AM
I was thinking that too. I wanted to ask him about McGahee and stuff like that but you could kinda tell he had to go....GOLF was waiting. He did meet up outside with Bill Cowher though.

Novacane
03-30-2004, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by ryjam282
He said last year the WR's were reading the D and doing routes and sometimes Drew and the WR's weren't reading the same thing and that is what caused some of the sacks. I was very impressed how nice he was to just some fan like me.

In other words.........................he thinks Gilbrides offense sucked :snicker:

Devin
03-30-2004, 09:20 AM
great story thats awesome!

*watches Mikey's ZB's fly away*

imbondz
03-30-2004, 09:29 AM
Being a resident of Palm Beach county has finally paid off for me. I have a buddy that works at the Breakers Hotel here in West Palm Beach and the winter meetings are taking place this week, as many of you have seen on the NFL network. My buddy has been telling me about all the people they will have there, from owners and coachs and what not. So, I went up there yesterday........

Lo and behold after walking into this place, (beautiful by the way)I see Joe Gibbs getting into the elevator and instead of yelling out "NICE PICKUP WITH THRASH, HAHA" I just kept quiet. I saw my buddy and we went into the restaurant. I saw Mike Mularkey walking out and I stopped him, nicely by the way :), and told him I was a Bills fan and really looking forward to this season and wished him luck. He said thanks a lot and instead of running off he asked me a question. "Why the Bills, if you live here in FL." So, I gave him my Jim Kelly at UM story when I was growing up and I followed him, yada yada yada. Then I asked him what he really thought the potential of the team is this year and what he planned to do with Drew. He said, Drew will be just fine this year cause there will be less of him reading the WR's, and him just throwing to spots and the WR's being there and he really believes with this D that they can make a run at the playoffs especially if they expand it to 2 more teams. I asked him if there was any shot at them drafting Phillip Rivers and he said if he is there, he would love to have him. He said that the kid does a lot of amazing things at the QB spot. Then, he said that he had to get going cause he had to get to the golf course. I told him Good Luck and we were all looking forward to a great season.

He was a super nice guy and I am officially a Mularkey guy. I think he will do well for us. Very approachable guy and not a jerk like most of those guys can be.

i'm not jealous.

Captain gameboy
03-30-2004, 09:35 AM
I don't know about anybody else, but I think this is going to be a really fun season. I think Malarkey has assembled a great staff, and will be one of those guys the players would die for.
And...Other than a few spots, I don't think our personnel is too bad.

ryjam282
03-30-2004, 09:37 AM
I agree but lets see how the preseason goes first. Cause I know some of you felt that way about Man Boobs and his cast of characters.

Tatonka
03-30-2004, 09:46 AM
I was thinking that too. I wanted to ask him about McGahee and stuff like that but you could kinda tell he had to go....GOLF was waiting. He did meet up outside with Bill Cowher though.

MM - "So BC, what are you thinking about doing with that 11th overall pick?"

BC - "Well, as you know we really need a QB, RB, and OL"

MM - "Did you hear Kevin Jones had a second workout and ran a 4.19?"

BC - "REALLY??!"

MM - "yeah.. and Phillip Rivers was just diagnosed with HIV"

BC - "WOW.. thanks for the news buddy."

MM - "Noooo problem."

The Spaz
03-30-2004, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka

MM - "So BC, what are you thinking about doing with that 11th overall pick?"

BC - "Well, as you know we really need a QB, RB, and OL"

MM - "Did you hear Kevin Jones had a second workout and ran a 4.19?"

BC - "REALLY??!"

MM - "yeah.. and Phillip Rivers was just diagnosed with HIV"

BC - "WOW.. thanks for the news buddy."

MM - "Noooo problem."

:rofl:

Devin
03-30-2004, 09:51 AM
LMAO!

great all quiet in my office and i burst out with laughter.

ryjam282
03-30-2004, 09:54 AM
:lolcry:

Excellent stuff. As long as he doesn't share needles on the team, I would still take him....We should be able to get 5-7 good years out of him. : )

Heck, Magic Johnson is doing OK with the disease.

Devin
03-30-2004, 10:10 AM
lol!

Mr. Miyagi
03-30-2004, 10:16 AM
Great story ryjam! :up:

Goobylal
03-30-2004, 10:22 AM
I agree but lets see how the preseason goes first. Cause I know some of you felt that way about Man Boobs and his cast of characters.
It's totally different than when ManBoobs took over. Donahoe didn't gut the team because of the cap, Mularkey's coaches actually HAVE NFL experience, and Mularkey and Clements proved they could take Gilbride's system and make something out of it over the course of an off-season. And I dare say the Bills have more talent on offense than the Steelers did.

BTW, nice one Tat.

Michael82
03-30-2004, 10:33 AM
mikey just started sweating.. he can feel his zone bucks slipping away..

:lol:

:mad:

Tatonka
03-30-2004, 10:34 AM
:snicker:

Michael82
03-30-2004, 10:37 AM
I know right....I thought that as well, cause I have 5,000 riding on it too.

Michael82
03-30-2004, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Devin
great story thats awesome!

*watches Mikey's ZB's fly away*

:ontome:

Devin
03-30-2004, 10:47 AM
lol

elltrain22
03-30-2004, 10:59 AM
Malarkey sounds like a cool dude. Wish i could've met, but that is very cool you did. Nice info, thanks for sharing.

BAM
03-30-2004, 11:13 AM
i got to meet him two years ago when he was still w/ the Steelers. I had never heard of him then and didn't care much that i was talking to him, but it's kind of neat now that he's our head coach :) Anyways, he was hanging out w/ Bill Cowher at the Loft Lounge with the owner of the place. ( i was out that way for the Rolling Rock Fest)

I agree, he was very approachable, as was Bill Cowher.. both very nice down to earth guys. My friend Corey and I sat down and bought them each a beer and talked a little football w/ them, while my friend Megan tried to hit on Cowher :rolleyes:. I called my dad, since he's a big Steelers fan and had them each say hello to him as well :up:

mightyspaz
03-30-2004, 11:18 AM
Awsome !

BAM
03-30-2004, 11:19 AM
oh and Melissa was making fun of Bill because he talks w/ a lisp... :laughter:

Tatonka
03-30-2004, 11:22 AM
did BC spit on you when he talked?

BAM
03-30-2004, 11:25 AM
no but he spit on Corey... :lol!:

Mr. Cynical
03-30-2004, 01:59 PM
Great story man. :up: I like the fact that he talked to you like you were an intelligent football person, not some "We gonna kick some A** and take f***ing names" kinda guy.

mchurchfie
03-30-2004, 02:18 PM
Exellent story!:up:

lordofgun
03-30-2004, 02:51 PM
Suck-ups. The story sucked.

:D :jk:

bills_7
03-30-2004, 03:42 PM

dont nice guys always finish last? lol

He sounds like a good guy and the players seem to really like him....

lets just hope they play for him as well

TigerJ
03-30-2004, 05:36 PM
So why didn't you offer to caddy so you could ask more questions? LOL

shelby
03-30-2004, 05:43 PM
That :angry:ing rocks!

:up:

Tatonka
03-30-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ
So why didn't you offer to caddy so you could ask more questions? LOL

good point. :mad:

maybe he is not a real fan i guess.

:snicker:

ShadowHawk7
03-30-2004, 06:31 PM
so Ryjam did ya get a chance to talk w/ ne other coaches?

B-DON
03-31-2004, 03:53 AM
did BC spit on you when he talked?

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ryjam282
03-31-2004, 05:58 AM
Shadow, I didn't actually talk to any other coaches but I did see quite a few of them.