PDA

View Full Version : PFW: More Reasons Drew will bounce back...

Romes
03-30-2004, 01:32 PM
Not to spark more debate cause most likely we have heard it all, but Mike Holbrook at PFW.com wrote an article about how there are more signs that Bledsoe will be better rather than worse next year.

His points are

1) New coaches (Mularkey, Wyche, McNally)
2) Additions of McGahee and Villarrial will make Drew better
3) The defense will force more turnovers with Vincent on board...this will make Drew better.

(Obviously, read the article for more detail)

He tells Bills fans not to worry about the back up QB situation. Good article overall.

He makes a good point here:

The personnel people I spoke to, almost to a man, echoed the same reasons for Bledsoe’s poor 2003 season — the loss of deep-threat weapon Price, the inconsistency of the offensive line, the stubbornness of the play-calling. These factors should all be rectified by the time the season begins in September.

Those same personnel people believe that Bledsoe is still a commanding presence behind center, a guy who has a strong arm and is tough to bring down, a guy whom opposing defenses must respect

The Spaz
03-30-2004, 01:35 PM
A lot of angst and hand-wringing is going on in western New York since the 2003 season ended regarding QB Drew Bledsoe’s apparent decline and the Bills’ admitted lack of quality depth behind him.

It seems that the biggest questions among Bills fans and the media right now all focus on Bledsoe and the QB position: Is Bledsoe over the hill? Was his poor performance in 2003 an aberration or a trend? What happens if he gets hurt? With no viable free-agent options, will a future starting quarterback be uncovered in this year’s draft?

While those are all legitimate questions, it seems to me that they are somewhat premature and overwrought.

Yes, Bledsoe, 32, is coming off arguably the worst season of his 12-year career. He threw for only 2,860 yards (his lowest total since his rookie season), tossing a paltry 11 TD passes while getting intercepted 12 times. He also fumbled a career-high 15 times while losing a career-high 10.

Meanwhile, the Bills struggled to a disappointing 6-10 record while scoring only 15.2 points per game and ranking 28th in pass offense.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+East/Buffalo/Features/2004/holbrook033004.htm

Romes
03-30-2004, 01:36 PM
Thanks Spaz i forgot to add the link...

Tatonka
03-30-2004, 01:36 PM
bounce back to what? his incredible 24 td / 19 turnover self?

wow.. cant wait.

Patrick76777
03-30-2004, 01:38 PM
I'm ready to give the guy a last chance! I just wish we had a decent back up so we don't have to waste the whole season if it's obvious after a few weeks that it's not working.

lordofgun
03-30-2004, 01:41 PM
Since when is Bledsoe is tough to bring down? :huh:

Dozerdog
03-30-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
bounce back to what? his incredible 24 td / 19 turnover self?

wow.. cant wait.

If most NFL personnel people feel he's still a dangerous threat- I'll buy it.

The Spaz
03-30-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun
Since when is Bledsoe is tough to bring down? :huh:

I don't know but he can lay the wood when need be just ask Jason Ferguson and that Redskins player last year.

Mr. Cynical
03-30-2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Romes
Not to spark more debate cause most likely we have heard it all, but Mike Holbrook at PFW.com wrote an article about how there are more signs that Bledsoe will be better rather than worse next year.

His points are

1) New coaches (Mularkey, Wyche, McNally)
2) Additions of McGahee and Villarrial will make Drew better
3) The defense will force more turnovers with Vincent on board...this will make Drew better.

1) He's had this before and he still didn't improve.
2) What's wrong with TH and Ruben? Say what you will, but they were both Pro-bowlers.
3) Don't see this helping that much. Drew had some of his worst performances in the red zone and in short field situations. He is better in the first half of the field where he is able to chuck it.

So, IMO, if these are his reasons for Drew's "miraculous comeback" then he needs to back off the pipe.
:smoke:

helmetguy
03-30-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

Same here.

Halbert
03-30-2004, 02:56 PM
Oh they're just all jumping on the Halbert guarantee bandwagon ...

TedMock
03-30-2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by kal123

1) He's had this before and he still didn't improve.
2) What's wrong with TH and Ruben? Say what you will, but they were both Pro-bowlers.
3) Don't see this helping that much. Drew had some of his worst performances in the red zone and in short field situations. He is better in the first half of the field where he is able to chuck it.

So, IMO, if these are his reasons for Drew's "miraculous comeback" then he needs to back off the pipe.
:smoke:

First of all, please don't take this like I'm totally disagreeing with you. I'm just playing devil's advocate because I'm really trying to see both sides of the argument as unbiased as possible. Frankly, I'm very nervous about Bledsoe falling apart.

1. He didn't necessarily have good offensive coaching before other than in 2000 (the only year Weis was his OC). He had a pretty below average year that year (17 TD/13 INT). The next season he was injured in the 2nd game so I won't count that. He got better from 1993 through 1997 but then went downward. Parcell's happened to be the Head coach from 93-96 and, although he's a defensive minded coach, he gets QB's to play within themselves. I wouldn't say he gets them to reach full potential, though.

2. Ruben and Villarial was not an even trade. Villarial is a huge upgrade over Pucillo. We'll have to see about whoever takes Ruben's spot. Even if they're average, the overall effect is better. As to the whole TH and WM thing. Henry's a pro-bowler who will grind it out but McGahee gives us one more weapon and he's a game breaker (if healthy) that very few people are.

3. Even if his redzone performance is his biggest weakness, at least we get more chances. The odd's are in our favor as far that's concerned. The more opportunity the better.

Kolbiss
03-30-2004, 04:23 PM
Guess what fellas..... no matter what we do or say, he is the guy behind center, and i know we all hope for the best. I remain pessimistically optamistic!!!

Novacane
03-30-2004, 04:25 PM
Mike Holbrook at PFW.com wrote an article about how there are more signs that Bledsoe will be better rather than worse next year.

Wow. Holbrook must be a Genius!~
predicting Bledsoe will do better rather than worse from last year.

I predict that for petes sake. He would have to be doing it intentionally to be worse than last year.

Romes
03-30-2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green

Wow. Holbrook must be a Genius!~
predicting Bledsoe will do better rather than worse from last year.

I predict that for petes sake. He would have to be doing it intentionally to be worse than last year.

:calm:

I'm not claiming that Holbrook is any sort of genius. He isn't better than any of us. Except for the fact that he has ability to talk to people within in the league. If people within the league still see Bledsoe as a QB to respect, I'll believe it.

Did you read the article? Its not about making predictions about next year. Its about Bledsoe being the best available option that we have. Also, on top of that Bledsoe isn't that bad of an option since he had several things working against him last year.

elltrain22
03-30-2004, 04:38 PM
Lets just hope that he is right.

ECUCHRIS
03-30-2004, 04:47 PM
PUT IN "BIG BEN"

saviorbledsoe
03-30-2004, 04:50 PM
:)

Halbert
03-30-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by elltrain22
Lets just hope that he is right.
I am.

Tatonka
03-30-2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

Originally posted by helmetguy
Same here.

only one team wins the superbowl.. so there are alot of teams that are 31 other teams that are wrong about personel every year. :D

Originally posted by Fairway To Green
He would have to be doing it intentionally to be worse than last year.

:eek:

If people within the league still see Bledsoe as a QB to respect, I'll believe it.

it is a conspiracy to make TD feel smart and to keep Bledsoe behind center for another year so that the Bills are automatically eliminated from the superbowl race. :snicker:

Mr. Cynical
03-31-2004, 12:02 AM
If people within the league still see Bledsoe as a QB to respect, I'll believe it.

People within the league respected these players (talent-wise, not personally) and that didn't match up well to their true value. Yet they got chance after chance because of this illusion.

Ryan Leaf
Rick Mirer
Jeff George
Lawrence Philips

The only point I'm making is that people (even in the league) can get blinded by physical talents. There is no question about Drew's ability to chuck a ball. But that doesn't make him a great QB, something which people seem to refuse to want to believe (league and otherwise).

Romes
03-31-2004, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by kal123

People within the league respected these players (talent-wise, not personally) and that didn't match up well to their true value. Yet they got chance after chance because of this illusion.

Ryan Leaf
Rick Mirer
Jeff George
Lawrence Philips

The only point I'm making is that people (even in the league) can get blinded by physical talents. There is no question about Drew's ability to chuck a ball. But that doesn't make him a great QB, something which people seem to refuse to want to believe (league and otherwise).

Please read the quote I was talking about...this is not about someone respected someone talent wise or personally. Here let me re-quote the article:

The personnel people I spoke to, almost to a man, echoed the same reasons for Bledsoe’s poor 2003 season — the loss of deep-threat weapon Price, the inconsistency of the offensive line, the stubbornness of the play-calling. These factors should all be rectified by the time the season begins in September.

Those same personnel people believe that Bledsoe is still a commanding presence behind center, a guy who has a strong arm and is tough to bring down, a guy whom opposing defenses must respect

They don't respect how he can throw a football, necessarily, but his presense behind the center. Defenses have to respect his abilities as a QB. Ryan Leaf, Rick Mirer...defenses hardly have to respect the talent they have. Infact they can exploit their short comings.

The main difference with the players you listed is that people may have respected them on the field for certain amount of time but certainly not for the same amount of time that they have had to respect Bledsoe's talents.

Just the comparison you made between Bledsoe and those players shocks me, honestly. It is hard to take your posts seriously with such statements. I know I can't convince you of anything but do you honestly feel that Bledsoe is comparable Philips and Leaf? Mirer was taken soon after Bledsoe in the draft and where is Mirer now? There is a reason why Bledsoe has started far more games then him and it wasn't because he was a higher pick.