PDA

View Full Version : Mularkey's Solution for Bledsoe...

Romes
03-31-2004, 01:32 AM
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/7220270

Good article...read the whole thing but this part Mularkey breaks down how he plans to "fix" Bledsoe.

Unlike the past regime's offense, Mularkey prefers a short-passing game, similar to the West Coast offense. That means ball out of hands, check-downs to backs and a much healthier quarterback.

"It is a controlled passing game in trying to make first downs, keep the ball, get it in the hands of the receivers and let them make yards," said Mularkey. "Even though it's not the West Coast offense, it has the mentality of that offense."

For Bledsoe, a deep bomber most of his career, it will be an adjustment. But in Mularkey, offensive coordinator Tom Clements and quarterbacks coach Sam Wyche he has two former quarterbacks and an ex-tight end watching his every move.

Preaching check-downs and getting the ball out is something that Bledsoe has already heard plenty about.

"He's got to understand that sometimes the check-down is a pretty good pass," said Mularkey. "We have to practice and talk about it. And get him ready. The dump down gets you 8 yards and 8 yards is good and gets you second and 2. There are a lot more plays you can run (there) than on second-and-10. You talk about that every day.

"I don't know if it's greedy. I'd say confident. Sometimes it may make you hold it a tad too long because you know you can put it in a hole or you see something there. You've got to be careful in how you talk to him about it because you want him to take some chances, not chances that are going to lose games but you don't want him to play tentative."

Honestly, this is not something Bledsoe is used to, who knows if he can do it, but looking for the shorter high percentage passes would decrease turnovers, sacks, 3 and outs and help us control the clock more. I hope Bledsoe can pull this off, cause he is our only real option for this year.

B-DON
03-31-2004, 02:36 AM
let us all pray

ryven
03-31-2004, 07:24 AM
and its not like Mularkey is telling him he cant throw it deep but instead of throwing it deep every time its just once and a while.

Tatonka
03-31-2004, 07:28 AM
in theory.. it should work..

but there are alot of qbs that are suited for this type of offense much more so that bledsoe.. like garcia.. and namely a a rookie qb named Phillip Rivers.

bledsoe weakness is in his accuracy in short passes and really, not wanting to dump the ball off at all. i hope he is able to adjust.

Jan Reimers
03-31-2004, 12:13 PM
I like the theory, too. I just hope that Drew really buys into it, and doesn't have a lot of latitude to "audibilize" out of it. Some have blamed him for changing running plays to passes too often last year.

The Natrix
03-31-2004, 12:17 PM
The quest to make Drew Bledsoe a competent QB continues...

SABURZFAN
03-31-2004, 12:25 PM
i'm hoping that henry and mcgahee do enough with the running game to take some of load off of bledsoe's shoulders.

Throne Logic
03-31-2004, 01:04 PM
I'm still concerned about that contract. What if Drew does light up the first 10 games? I still don't want to give him that $7 Million bonus. Even if we overlook the massive hit to next years CAP, it's still going to open up the next part of that rediculous contract. Do we give him the $2 million buy-out, leaving him a lame duck for the rest of the season.

This contract is going to be the bane of the 2004 season. Assuming the do go with Drew, TD MUST make him rework it.

Mr. Cynical
03-31-2004, 03:03 PM
"For Bledsoe, a deep bomber most of his career, this will be an adjustment."

:gag:

The Reality of Drew (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42180)

Miami_Vice
03-31-2004, 04:32 PM
Oh man, I cant wait until Miami roasts Bleedsoe and Barfalo AGAIN this season.

BillsOwnAll
03-31-2004, 05:21 PM
Shouldnt we not tell people this? Doesnt this help teams prepare for us lol? I think telling people gameplans suck. Its good for fans but Id rather win.