PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Line SOLUTION

B-DON
03-31-2004, 04:34 AM
Trimmer Andrews leaves scouts agog
BY SCOTT CAIN AND BOB HOLT
ARKANSAS DEMOCRAT-GAZETTE

FAYETTEVILLE — Shawn Andrews might have fattened his wallet by making his body thinner.
Andrews paraded through a series of speed, quickness and agility tests and position drills Wednesday at the UA facilities. But the offensive tackle and former Razorback from Camden made his biggest impression when he weighed in at 345 pounds — 56 pounds lighter than he was a few months ago and 19 pounds less than he did at the NFL Combine last month.
Andrews was one of 15 former Arkansas players who worked out for about 20 NFL scouts and assistant coaches. It was the Razorbacks’ last group workout before the draft April 24-25.
Andrews and tailback Cedric Cobbs of Little Rock carried a little more pressure into the day than most of their former teammates. Andrews and Cobbs needed to improve on some of their performances at the combine, and neither participated in the other on-campus workout March 4.
Even at a lighter weight, Andrews maintained his strength. He put up 27 repetitions on the 225-pound bench press, the same number he did at the combine when he weighed 364 pounds. Andrews also ran the 40-yard dash faster (various scouts’ watches timed him between 5.18 and 5.22 seconds) than he did last month (5.3). "Let me just put it this way — he looked magnificent," Green Bay Packers assistant coach Larry Beightol said. "I don’t think anybody ever questioned what kind of athlete he is or the kind of football player that he is. But there were some concerns about his weight and he certainly has got that fixed up and he’s looking mighty good."
Taking off the weight sent a powerful message to the NFL onlookers.
"I think that says an awful lot about him, about his character and that he has made a commitment, that he wants to be a professional football player," Beightol said. "I’m sure that some teams will still be leery of him, but I don’t believe the Green Bay Packers will."
Beightol was one at least four offensive line coaches who attended the workout. The Packers pick 25th overall and Andrews is not expected to be around that late.
In the always volatile arena of draft projections, Andrews’ stock has fluctuated. He was considered a top 10 pick by some analysts last fall and a mid-first rounder by some last month. That value could be on the upswing now.
Consider that the other offensive line coaches in attendance represented teams that will pick in the top 10 — the Cleveland Browns at No. 7, Jacksonville Jaguars at No. 9 and Houston Texans at No. 10.
Last year’s No. 8 pick, tackle Jordan Gross of the Carolina Panthers, received a $10.4 million signing bonus. The No. 9 pick defensive tackle Kevin Williams of the Minnesota Vikings, who also is a Fordyce native, received $8 million. As the No. 15 pick, defensive Jerome McDougle of the Philadelphia Eagles cashed a $5.6 million signing bonus.
All that Andrews would say about his draft expectations are that he has a first-round position in mind but did not want to share it.
The normally upbeat Andrews didn’t say much to reporters after his workout, keeping his answers brief and his face stoic. He said he felt nervous before the workout and felt like he helped his draft stock. His only extended thoughts came when he talked about using "negative feedback" as motivation during his workouts in Arizona since January.
Asked what negative feedback he had received, Andrews said: "In the past, everybody was making a big deal out of my weight. So, it doesn’t matter anymore. I get a chance to hush all the naysayers now, so it doesn’t matter. I’m on my own terms now.
I’m doing it for myself and my family and the team I’m going to be playing for.
It doesn’t matter what anybody else says."
Andrews earned first-team All-American honors in 2002 and 2003 playing most of that time at more than 345 pounds.
Beightol said Andrews should be fine if he stays between 340 and 350.
Surgery to remove polyps blocking his nasal passages has not been scheduled yet. Andrews said he and his doctor would address that matter in the next couple of weeks.

Tight end Jason Peters did offensive line drills but did not run any of the speed or agility tests, causing a grumble or two among the scouts. Peters already had performed very well at the combine and in the March 4 workout.

Our pick keeps looking better and better every day.

B-DON
03-31-2004, 04:34 AM
sorry its so long

BuffaloRanger
03-31-2004, 05:24 AM
Was McNally there to watch? I still like Grove who can play Center - a definate need.

Dozerdog
03-31-2004, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by B-DON
sorry its so long

I've been a proponent for drafting Shawn Andrews myself. Check out the official Zone draft on our front page.

Hey B-Don- when posting articles- can you provide a link and shorten your post to the first 2-3 paragraphs? We are actually infringing on copyright laws by allowing the whole article to be reproduced in this manner.

The link below shows you how it should be properly done

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42112

Tatonka
03-31-2004, 07:48 AM
andrews scares me.. it is great that he is in good shape now.. but he was a lazy ass the rest of the offseason, getting up to almost 400lbs.. i dont want a guy that will let himself go like that..

and mcnally has already been quoted as saying that we are set at tackle.. i just dont see anyway we draft a tackle and move jennings or williams in..

but i guess anying can happen.

Tatonka
03-31-2004, 07:48 AM
a lazy rookie tackle protecting drews blind side..

:puke:

The Spaz
03-31-2004, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka
andrews scares me.. it is great that he is in good shape now.. but he was a lazy ass the rest of the offseason, getting up to almost 400lbs.. i dont want a guy that will let himself go like that..

and mcnally has already been quoted as saying that we are set at tackle.. i just dont see anyway we draft a tackle and move jennings or williams in..

but i guess anying can happen.

Exactly and when this guy gets his :100: then he just may go back into being lazy, he may not but who knows.

Tatonka
03-31-2004, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by The Spaz
Exactly and when this guy gets his :100: then he just may go back into being lazy, he may not but who knows.

yup.. that is just what i was thinking..

he definately could be a GREAT olineman.. and could be a prime pick to replace jennings next year..

dozer has the right idea.. if andrews was great, then moving jennings inside to LG would be great.. because it would mean that he would be a bit cheaper to resign next season..

i just dont trust a rookie at LT.. but whatever..

justasportsfan
03-31-2004, 08:08 AM
Andrews also ran the 40-yard dash faster (various scouts’ watches timed him between 5.18 and 5.22 seconds) Wow, this guy is faster than Sammy Knight. :laughter:

The Spaz
03-31-2004, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
Wow, this guy is faster than Sammy Knight. :laughter:

:rofl::evil:

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-31-2004, 08:15 AM
I don't like Andrews. He has been given the lazy label and that always scares me. My solution would look more like this:

Draft a center (if Grove is available in the second, or if they are ready N. Lecky or even Steponovich later)
Move Teague to RT
Move M. Williams to LT
Move Jennings to LG
Vallerial at RG

Tatonka
03-31-2004, 08:17 AM
so our entire line would be completely shaken up and at a completely new position..

wow..

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-31-2004, 08:20 AM
Mike Williams would be the only real shake up.

Jennings was a guard
Teague was a right tackle
Villarial is a right guard

If it is broke, fix it.

Tatonka
03-31-2004, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
Mike Williams would be the only real shake up.

Jennings was a guard
Teague was a right tackle
Villarial is a right guard

If it is broke, fix it.

jennings was a RT.. Teague was LT...

Earthquake Enyart
03-31-2004, 08:24 AM
I would also rather see them reach and take Carey, than take Andrews.

You can look no farther that this board to see what effect a lazy fat pansy has on the rest of the team. :bigmike2:

Tatonka
03-31-2004, 08:25 AM
hahahaha... is that mikey?..

:snicker:

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-31-2004, 08:31 AM
I never said I was a genious, but I stick by my solution!!!!

Actuallyt Jennings played all positions at Georgia, but I know you knew that.

TigerJ
03-31-2004, 08:36 AM
Shawn Andrews could probably play guard, and not force a shilft in the line. I'm not a huge fan of taking a lineman, particularly a guard at #13 in view of the fact that it is not a huge need at the moment. The bigger impact could be if he moves back into the top third of round one. If someone ahead of Buffalo picks him, who does that move down? Not Gallery, who is still a top five guy.

Just a medical note: nasal polyps are a non-factor. I've had them removed more than once (they can grow back). The proceedure can be done in a doctor's office with a local anesthetic and there is no time required to recuperate. It could be done on a Saturday and play a game on Sunday. It is however no fun!

Tatonka
03-31-2004, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
I never said I was a genious, but I stick by my solution!!!!

Actuallyt Jennings played all positions at Georgia, but I know you knew that.

yeah.. i knew that.. but i thought you were referring to nfl experience..

jonas played incredible at RT his rookie year.. and teague was a LT at denver before he came here..

in college.. teague was a center some too.. and jennings played every position, but was mainly a tackle.

Tatonka
03-31-2004, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by TigerJ
anal polyps are a non-factor. I've had them removed more than once (they can grow back). The proceedure can be done in a doctor's office with a local anesthetic and there is no time required to recuperate. It could be done on a Saturday and play a game on Sunday. It is however no fun!

:eek:

:lol:

B-DON
03-31-2004, 02:25 PM
so despite all his upside you guys say he is to lazy. honestly besides a future qb what else do we need? i say draft for the future and andrews is now and the future. how big would he be next to williams or jennings imagine that line whooa

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-31-2004, 02:28 PM
But Andrews is a RT and we have Mike Williams there? I take it your future has Jennings bolting after this year.