X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ickybaluky
    • Jul 2003

Latest Ruben Brown news...

Looks to be moving closer to signing with the Bears. Besides Detriot, it looks like the Patriots and Steelers are also showing interest (although neither has had him visit).

From the Chicago Tribune (requires registration):

Chicago Tribune

Text of the Tribune article:

"Negotiations between the Bears and free-agent guard Ruben Brown progressed Tuesday at the NFL owners meetings in Palm Beach, Fla., with general manager Jerry Angelo pushing for a quick decision. Angelo and Bears chief negotiator Cliff Stein met with Brown's agent, Eric Metz, and discussed a three-year deal loaded with incentives for the perennial Pro Bowl guard. The Bears trust Brown, 32, still has several good seasons remaining but consider him a luxury during an off-season in which the team already has added three offensive starters. Brown likely would be a fourth, moving into the right guard spot currently occupied by Mike Gandy. If Brown accepts the Bears' offer, Gandy figures to move back to left tackle, where he would compete with Qasim Mitchell. Even if Brown isn't signed, coaches believe the Bears' offensive line has been improved significantly with the addition of right tackle John Tait and the return of left guard Rex Tucker. No other teams are known to have offered Brown a contract, though he has visited the Lions and piqued the interest of the Patriots and Steelers. The Bears are optimistic and believe Brown might want to see what type of market develops if other teams join the bidding. Angelo would like to get an answer on Brown soon so the Bears can determine whether they can afford Broncos free-agent linebacker Ian Gold."
  • Ickybaluky
    • Jul 2003

Pat Kirwan of NFL.com chimes in with more about Brown, with some interesting comments from some league personnel people:

Pat Kirwan

Kirwans says his options are to sign a 3-Yr, minimum-salary deal with about a $1M SB, or a 1-Yr minimum salary contract (wouldn't surprise me if that was New England) and hope to go into FA next season with more leverage.

Text:

"As I said last week, it will not be long before All-Pro offensive guard Ruben Brown would find a new home. He has three teams lined up for his services and now it's a question of the right contract. That's where it gets interesting. The draft is fast approaching and the 32-year-old knows there are three to four guards drafted early and expected to start from day one. If Brown waits much longer, he will lose at least one of his possible destinations, maybe two. His contract choices appear to be a three-year deal with a $1 million bonus and minimum salaries or a one-year deal at or close to the minimum. Why take the second deal? Because if Brown thinks he has multiple years left in his body than he stands to hit a home run the following year. Otherwise, take the deal with the upfront money and be happy to still be in the league. I asked a few personnel people who studied him on tape this offseason and there were mixed views of Brown. One general manager said, "He holds a lot more than he used to." Another said, "There are very few teams that have two guards better than Brown." And a third person said, "He should take the first deal and be happy." Look for a team with a young quarterback who needs all the protection they can get to sign him in the very near future."

Comment

• The Spaz
      • Mar 2003

Good luck Ruben, you'll need it.

Comment

• eyedog
        • Jul 2002

1 million dollar signing bonus and vet minimum. It sounds like Ruben has found his market. I'll give him credit though, he fooled many for a lot of years and got some big $.

Comment

• Ebenezer
          Give me a minute...
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by eyedog
          1 million dollar signing bonus and vet minimum. It sounds like Ruben has found his market. I'll give him credit though, he fooled many for a lot of years and got some big $.
          I'll take him back at the vet minimum. Beats Tucker or Sullivan.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• eyedog
            • Jul 2002

I don't think he does. I really don't think he is any better than those two, he just has the national media believing it and telling everybody.
            If he's so good why is the eight time pro bowler having trouble finding a job for the vet minimum ???????

Comment

• Ebenezer
              Give me a minute...
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by eyedog
              I don't think he does. I really don't think he is any better than those two, he just has the national media believing it and telling everybody.
              If he's so good why is the eight time pro bowler having trouble finding a job for the vet minimum ???????
              cause he is on the downside of his career and teams don't want to pay big money for a G...especially one that has, probably, two more effective years.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• eyedog
                • Jul 2002

"two" more years ? Your being generous. He had two more about five years ago.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Jul 2002

He's a fool to think that he can sign a one year vet minimum deal and hit a home run next year. If the money is not there this year, it's not gonna be there next year.

Personally, as a veteran Bear observer, I'd rather see the Bears draft Andrews and keep Gandy at G. Gandy is no LT.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                    • Jul 2003

According to the Chicago Sun-Times, Brown has to take the Bears offer today or they are going to withdraw it:

Sun-Times

Article:

"The Bears expect an answer today from free-agent guard Ruben Brown. The Pro Bowl performer with the Buffalo Bills was offered a three-year deal that includes about $1.5 million in guaranteed money, and the Bears have told him it's no longer good after today. Brown would be expected to take over the vacancy created at right guard by Chris Villarrial's departure to Buffalo. There have been no negotiations between the Bears and Brown's agent, Eric Metz, because it's basically a take-it-or-leave-it proposition. Metz is well aware of the Bears' salary-cap situation -- the team is about $1.6 million under the cap -- because his partner, Ethan Lock, negotiated right tackle John Tait's offer sheet. Brown's offer is believed to be thin on incentives, but it has escalator clauses based on playing time and playoff victories that would increase his base salary in 2005 and 2006. There are no other known bidders for Brown, 32, at this point. If he comes on board, Mike Gandy, who signed a one-year tender for $1.368 million, would compete with Qasim Mitchell for the starting job at left tackle or become a swing reserve."

Comment

• Halbert
                      I'm Not Normal
                      • Jul 2002

Too bad they couldn't have kept his overrated but still pretty good butt for that amount.

Comment

Working...
                      X