X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tatonka
    • Jul 2002

Drew restructuring.. my opinion

I was sitting here thinking about why Bledsoe hasnt resturctured his deal yet...

as it stands right now, sometime in November, Drew is due a roster bonus that will either activate or deactivate the rest of his deal.

The Bills can give him a 2 million dollar bonus, and it will void the rest of his contract, and he will count 8 million against the cap.. OR if they want to keep him and activate the rest of his contract, they have to give him a 7 million dollar bonus.

Do you think that TD is waiting until the draft to see what kind of QB we get (ie.. a high round guy like rivers/rothlisberger) or a middle round guy (smoker, clausen, harris, ect)?

Because my feeling is, that if they grab a high pick qb.. drew is getting his 2 mill and is gone.. even if he is playing great.. at least they have negotiation power.. because of the kid behind him.. say rivers.. they can say.. drew.. your playing great.. we would like to keep you.. but it has to be at a more reasonable price, because we are paying the rookie alot of money.. really.. he may not have a prayer of staying past this year if they draft ben or rivers..

if they draft a mid round qb, like smoker.. they are in a much better position to keep drew.. but still, i think it would have to be under a renegotiated deal. i cant see them paying out a 7 million dollar bonus in november, unless he is playing better than he every has, including the 97 season.

thoughts?
    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe
  • lordofgun
    in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

I dunno. Ralph seems to REALLY REALLY REALLY like Drew. I remember at the end of the year, Ralph wouldn't put any blame on Drew, but rather on the entire rest of the team and coaches. I wouldn't put it past him to go over everyone's head and insist that Drew stays.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• Halbert
      I'm Not Normal
      • Jul 2002

Well not Drew repeats anything close to last years' miserable season. But if he rebounds and is playing well there's no reason he couldn't start another couple years. A rookie QB wouldn't be ready until then anyway. But that 7 mil appears hard to swallow outside of anything except a probowl type season.

If he were to stay, what would his cap hit be, including the roster bonus? How would that compare to other starters in the league?

Comment

• Tatonka
        • Jul 2002

well, that would put drew at 13 million this season.. that is crazy.. higher than peyton.
        "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• ryjam282
          Offical Billszone Starting QB
          • Mar 2003

I agree 100% T, good point. There is no way they can have that much tied up in 1 position

Ryan Withey
          Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• Devin
            The Octagon
            • Apr 2003

I have had this thought for sometime T I think if TD manages to grab his guy (Rivers) or even Ben (doubtful) This is DB's last season.

Partly for his poor performance, but mainly because hes getting paid a WHOLE LOT of cash while being a mediocre QB.

Simple economics.

After a year a guy like rivers who went all 4 years in college will be ready to start.
            http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

I think regardless he is gone because if its a renogiated contract that means that if we cut him we still got a lot of money we will have to pay him and lose in dead cap space while at the same time if we give him his 2 million and then cut him we are pretty free of dead cap. I think Clump or Eb said something similar to that in an alternate thread.
              COMING SOON...
              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Ebenezer
                Give me a minute...
                • Jul 2002

I'm going to really turn the tables on you...it appears that the $7 mil bonus can only be amoratized over the next three years...therefore, unless cut before the season starts DB counts $8.2 mil on the cap if he gets the bonus and $7.9 mil against the cap if he does not...the difference is the money ($2.3 mil per year for 2005 and 2006) that is extended out into the future...If they renegotiate the contract it will only push money into the future that will count against 2005 and possibly 2006 anyway. With that in mind there appears to be no reason to renegotiate the contract. DB is on a one year tryout and if by 10/31 he sucks they just won't renew the deal.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Tatonka
                  • Jul 2002

well then there is a silver lining..

either we get great qb play and win some games.. or else he is truely done in buffalo and we get a new qb finally.

sweet.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ebenezer
                    I'm going to really turn the tables on you...it appears that the $7 mil bonus can only be amoratized over the next three years...therefore, unless cut before the season starts DB counts $8.2 mil on the cap if he gets the bonus and $7.9 mil against the cap if he does not...the difference is the money ($2.3 mil per year for 2005 and 2006) that is extended out into the future...If they renegotiate the contract it will only push money into the future that will count against 2005 and possibly 2006 anyway. With that in mind there appears to be no reason to renegotiate the contract. DB is on a one year tryout and if by 10/31 he sucks they just won't renew the deal.

Clump, please tell us what is really going on.

Comment

• Tatonka
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
                      Clump, please tell us what is really going on.

chump and ed.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                        Administrator
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ebenezer
                        Translation??? Anyone??
                        COMING SOON...
                        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Ebenezer
                          Give me a minute...
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                          Translation??? Anyone??
                          Unless cut by the opener, DB will count almost the same against the cap whether he gets the $7 mil bonus or not.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                            • May 2003

My thought it this..

The Bills as an organization have commited to Bledsoe, not only this season, but I feel they are going to pick up his option. I say this because of the hiring of Mularky. I think the organization felt that Mularky would bring Bledsoe back to respectability. They are also putting faith into that by hiring Sam Wyche. They are banking that the combination of their three new coaches Mularky, Wyche, and Clements will dramatically help Drew. That along with the thinking that McNally is going to improve their OL. I would almost bet that the hiring of Mularky had a lot to do with Bledsoe. I believe that the Bills wanted Weiss but knew that Bledsoe and him have bad history. TD has to like Drew and is willing to stake his reputation and his job that they can get Bledsoe back to an NFL caliber QB.

So, unless Bledsoe completely bombs this year I see the team picking up that option on his contract.

Comment

• Romes
                              • Jul 2002

I think the Bills will pay the $2 Million and let him be a FA after this season.

But I also think that if we draft a QB we might re-sign Bledsoe to a cheaper deal after he becomes a FA. He would atleast be a solid back-up and less of a strain against the team if he had a cheaper salary. Other teams may be scared away because of his age and recent struggles.
                              Originally posted by paladin warrior
                              RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

Working...
                              X