PDA

View Full Version : How bout this?

ryjam282
03-31-2004, 12:49 PM
Lions | Talking Draft Swap With Patriots - from www.KFFL.com
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 09:25:14 -0800

Michael Felger, of the Boston Herald, reports the Detroit Lions, who own the No. 6 overall pick in next month's NFL Draft, have had discussions with the New England Patriots about moving down. The Patriots have seven picks in the first four rounds, including two first-round (Nos. 21 and 32 overall) and two second-round picks, and have said they might look to move up in the draft. Lions head coach Steve Mariucci indicated both himself and Lions general manager Matt Millen have spoken with Patriots head coach Bill Belichick. "One concern is moving from six to 21," said Mariucci. "That's a pretty good drop. You wouldn't do it just for (the Patriots' two first-round picks). It would require more."

If this does happen, i wonder who they will draft. Imagine if they got one of the Williams or Steven Jackson? :feedback:

Tatonka
03-31-2004, 12:52 PM
belicheck has stated that sean taylor is the best player in the entire draft.. i would be so friggin pissed if they moved up and got him.. i can feel steam coming out of my ears just thinking about it.

ryjam282
03-31-2004, 12:54 PM
I know, I would hate to have to root against Sean Taylor. I loved watching him at UM. That would make so angry.

Ickybaluky
03-31-2004, 01:33 PM
If the Pats are saying it, they probably will do the opposite.

The Pats will deal in the draft with a lot of picks, moving both up and down during the draft. However, I don't see them putting together the kind of package it would take to move that high. They stockpiled picks this year for a reason, because it is a deep draft and they need to replenish some positions where they will be losing guys in the next few seasons.

That said, they may move up a few spots if they think there is someone there they want, maybe to the mid-teens. However, I can't see them going higher than that.

Hounds
03-31-2004, 01:45 PM
If the Pats give up more then their 2 first round picks to get Taylor then who is going to play running back in New England this year? Don't they pretty much have to take a running back with one of their first round picks?

Mr. Cynical
03-31-2004, 01:55 PM
One more reason to hate BB.

:rocket:

Earthquake Enyart
03-31-2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by NE39
If the Pats are saying it, they probably will do the opposite.

The Pats will deal in the draft with a lot of picks, moving both up and down during the draft. However, I don't see them putting together the kind of package it would take to move that high. They stockpiled picks this year for a reason, because it is a deep draft and they need to replenish some positions where they will be losing guys in the next few seasons.

That said, they may move up a few spots if they think there is someone there they want, maybe to the mid-teens. However, I can't see them going higher than that.

You wait. They won't take both #1 picks. They will either put them together to move up, or they will swap one with someone for a #1 for next year.

Tatonka
03-31-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Hounds
If the Pats give up more then their 2 first round picks to get Taylor then who is going to play running back in New England this year? Don't they pretty much have to take a running back with one of their first round picks?

they can get a RB with one of the 2 second round picks they have.. perry or tatum bell would be great pick ups.. or clarrett..

jones and jackson are not WAY above the other guys.

Ickybaluky
03-31-2004, 06:54 PM
The Pats really don't value the RB position as high as some teams. They believe in the RB-by-committee system. They likely will draft a back, but what they really are looking for is a replacement for Antowain Smith, a big guy that can run inside and get first downs in short yardage.

Scott Pioli, who sets up the Pats draft, has said that the team doesn't believe they need a "franchise" RB. They feel that if they pass on the top RB and some teams draft them, then that means some veteran will be released on June 1. It could be they are blowing smoke, and I think if Jackson makes it to #21 they will have to consider it, but don't be surprised if they pass on a RB until the 2nd or 3rd round. Remember, Belichick had backfield-by-committee in Cleveland as well (Leroy Hoard, Eric Metcalf, Tommy Vardell), and NE has been winning without a franchise guy.

I think the Pats will try to trade up in the 2nd, but keep their 2 firsts (maybe moving slightly using later picks. I think they will try to get 3 picks between the mid-teens and the fortys, and draft a WR, DL and OL.

mypoorfriendme
03-31-2004, 08:24 PM
they wont do it....i hope

Ickybaluky
04-01-2004, 03:24 AM
Actually, maybe I'm wrong. According to Ron Borges of the Boston Globe (who hates Belichick with a passion, but is a good writer), the deal is in place contingent upon Sean Taylor being on the board. He reports it as #21, #32, a 2nd, and a 4th for Detriots #5 and a 4th.

Here is the link:

Globe Article (http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2004/04/01/patriots_hitch_up_traylor_and_prepare_to_move/)

It says:

"The Patriots have negotiated a standing offer with the Detroit Lions to acquire the sixth overall pick in the draft in exchange for four picks, including their two first-round selections, according to an industry source. The way the deal reportedly would work is if the target of the Patriots' affection is still on the board when the Lions are ready to select at No. 6, the Lions would trade their first-round choice, as well as a fourth-round pick (No. 105), to New England for the Patriots' two first-round picks (Nos. 21 and 32), one of its second-round choices (either No. 56 or 63), and a fourth-round pick (No. 113). The deal would be contingent on 6-foot-2-inch, 230-pound University of Miami safety Sean Taylor still being on the board. The chance exists that the Washington Redskins, who pick fifth, could grab Taylor to fill a gaping hole in their secondary, but they might choose instead to go after his teammate, All-America tight end Kellen Winslow. If Taylor is available when the Lions select and the deal is made, as the source says has been tentatively agreed to, the Patriots would be able to put Taylor alongside veteran Rodney Harrison and shift Eugene Wilson to cornerback, his college position and the one most NFL teams projected him playing when he was drafted in the second round last year. This would give New England's defense the kind of youth and coverage flexibility coach Bill Belichick covets because it would allow him to create matchup problems for most of the offenses the Patriots face. Such a deal would also give Belichick a chance to groom a successor to disgruntled Pro Bowl cornerback Ty Law, who could be released as early as this fall if Wilson were to show the ability to take over as smoothly at cornerback as he did a year ago for Lawyer Milloy when the veteran safety was released four days before the start of the season. New England would end up with three of the top 95 picks in the draft while Detroit, desperately in need of an influx of young talent, would have six of the first 113 picks (21, 32, 36, 56 or 63, 73, and 113)."