PDA

View Full Version : 1987 or 2002????????????

DIHARD2
10-17-2002, 09:02 PM
I hope I did this right I'm not sure on copying and pasting or bringing over an address from another program.

That being said.,

What was written here has a lot to say about what Donahoe and G. W. have been saying about this team and that they want a Super Bowl. The 87 team had a forceful defense one to reckon with, we just didn't have the extra weapons on offense that we do have now. Next year with a couple player upgrade on defense, we will be playoff or Super Bowl bound. It takes time and in today's football as explained in this article but less time than what it did in the past, free agency is the reason.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/index.cfm?cont_id=136700

"THE RESULTS

Did you notice a trend? Buffalo’s offense today is more powerful; the Bills’ defense of yesteryear was stronger. Given a choice between the two, I’ll take a potent offense over a dominating defense. Many will disagree with that choice, but I’ll defend it to the end. Keeping the games explosive and exciting motivates both fans and players. On the flip side, defensive battles can lull an offense to sleep. So long as the current Buffalo defense can make key plays in sticky situations, the 2002 Bills have a chance to win any game.

Is this current team playoff material? If it improves its current pace by just a notch or two, yes. Will that happen? That’s one question history simply cannot answer."

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...

4thAndLong
10-17-2002, 09:08 PM
I love O'Shei's articles, only good thing left on BB.

I agree, right now our goal is to put fans in the stands, and exciting games do that. They knew we're not going to fill all our wholes on the team, and concentrated on offense more than defense for ticket sales. Bringing in someone just like Bledsoe is huge $$$$$$$$. Ticket sales go through the roof, and the pro shop aswell. After a 3-13 year, we all wanna be excited about our team, and GW and Modrak made it happen, if we have an offseason like this one, for our defensive side of the ball. Watch out, the Bills are back :D

DIHARD2
10-17-2002, 09:24 PM
4th, exactly right. These last 6 games have been all heart attacks. That in itself will sell tickets, let alone winning games.
I think the idea here is to keep our defense off the field as much as possible. With Kelly our defense had to run the clock, and that can only last for so long before other teams start figuring you out or the defense gets tired.

I like the way the games are going so far this year.

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...

northernbillfan
10-18-2002, 05:04 AM
Very good points.

I am as excited now to be a Bills a fan as I was in 90-91. If not more so!

WG
10-18-2002, 06:00 AM
They are good points.

"Keeping the games explosive and exciting motivates both fans and players. On the flip side, defensive battles can lull an offense to sleep. So long as the current Buffalo defense can make key plays in sticky situations, the 2002 Bills have a chance to win any game."

Here are some facts for consideration however, that every team that has won the Superbowl had a top 12 D or better. I think the Pats bucked that trend last year, but their D did come of age as the season went on and was playing extremely soundly towards the end of the season and thru the playoffs. They were cetainly playing D like a top 5 team during the playoffs.

Indeed, offensive games are more exciting. However, I entirely disagree that the Bills have a chance to win every game. I suppose if a 1 in 10 chance counts, then fine. Otherwise, it's gonna be awfully difficult for us to beat teams such as Miami, G.B., S.D., K.C. and even N.E. while we may even struggle in games that shouldn't be close.

Without a defense, particularly a rushing defense, teams such as those are virtually guaranteed to perform admirably on offense. As the season goes on, passing in cold-weather cities is hindered and rushing becomes more imperative. Teams that can run the ball very well have a decisive advantage. Teams that have an outstanding D in complement, have 3 times that advantage.

I would much rather have a mediocre offense w/ solid rushing and a great D than a highly explosive offense w/ absolutely no D.

I really don't want to go thru the early '90s again where we're on the cusp for 6 seasons but never quite make it. The Chargers of 1981 were the team closest to where we are now, and even better in fact. Winslow was well over 1,000 and they had a better D than we do now, yet, they were unable to "make the leap" b/c their D was not good enough.

What wins championships? Defense. Rushing compliments the defense much more than passing does. No team w/ outstanding passing, nominal rushing, and little or no D has ever won a SuperBowl or even come close!

WG
10-18-2002, 06:04 AM
I guess it comes down to what your goals are. I think TD made it clear that bringing Bledsoe here was designed to put fans in the seats and it was a great move. I really think ticket sales would be suffering right now if Drew weren't here.

But that was a risk, and w/o having known that Drew would be playing the best ball of his career, perhaps it would have been a smarter move to give us a probowl DL and make some other upgrades.

I'm not suggesting that, but the point is that one may have possibly made the team better, while the other clearly has put more fans in the seats.

Making decisions to sell seats is not necessarily making decisions to win games.

DIHARD2
10-18-2002, 07:22 AM
The point is we do not have the defensive players this year and we are not going to get to a Super Bowl this year. So why are you down on a team when all of players aren't in place yet. You're asking for something that can not be this year and we all knew that before the season started.

Right now everyone on the team is energized, just with that momentum we will win games were normally we would not have.

Buffalo has a history of playing lousy teams lousy I don't know if it's the team or its just the fact that it's Buffalo. But Houston is not that lousy of a team and it's one of the first franchises that were started with the free agency system, so they picked up better players than any other new franchise has in the past.

They have played good football even though this is their first year in the football league. They have some good pros who did and made plays for them when needed. So I don't think you can actually say that the Houston game should've been a blowout, Houston had too many good players who have played together in the past.

Just sit this year and watch and you will see that we are growing and playing better each week from what I see.

So Wys you can keep on calling and crying that the sky is falling but those of us who are intelligent know that when it gets dark at night alll it means is the day has turned to night. The sun is no longer shining, it is not the sky falling.

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...

Judge
10-18-2002, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by DIHARD2
So Wys you can keep on calling and crying that the sky is falling but those of us who are intelligent know that when it gets dark at night alll it means is the day has turned to night. The sun is no longer shining, it is not the sky falling.

OUCH! Wys- are you still alive after that piledriver?

This team appears to be on the verge, like in 1987- I'd say that the 1987 Bills were more balanced on offense and defense, although this team may continue to gel. We'll see.

BillsNYC
10-18-2002, 02:27 PM
BUT-HEADS!!!!!!