• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tatonka
    • Jul 2002

Tatonka's 7 Round Draft Guide

Tatonka’s Take – Mock it up! (7 rounds)
    By Jeremy Ford

This is my official mock draft, Buffalo Bills style, for the upcoming 2004 NFL Draft. I have listed 3 names in each round to give you my educated guesses and break down what I think is best for the Buffalo Bills for this upcoming season and beyond. The three choices are not necessarily in any order, as they all depend on what we did in the round before. You may think that a few of the guys will not be there, but this is the NFL draft, and every year guys slip. I tried not to be ridiculous with any of the possible slips. There is a very real possibility that we could get our hands on any of these players listed, with maybe just one or two slight trade ups. I would be happy with any combo of the following.

1st Round

1. Tommie Harris, Junior, DT/DE, Oklahoma – Arguably the best DT, and possibly the best DE. Big man ran a blazing 4.78, which is crazy for a DT. He is a little bit light, but makes up for that with great quickness and strength. We may not need a ton of help right this second, but we are in danger of losing Aaron Schobel, Pat Williams, and even Sam Adams after next year, and we are not settled at LDE as of right now. We may have to move up a hair to get him, but remember, there is no way anyone though Kennedy would fall last year either. It happens.

2. Phillip Rivers, Senior, QB, North Carolina State – There is not much more that can be said about this guy. We all know that he throws at a ¾ angle, and initially there were some concerns about that. Well it looks like the guy may not even be around at this point, because Pittsburg might snatch him up. But I tend to think that he will be available. He would fit into Buffalo's new offense absolutely perfect. The new offense is supposed to emphasize the shorter passes and quick decisions. The is when Rivers and his deadly quick release and uncanny accuracy are at its best. A winner, a leader, and I will finish by throwing this stat out there. 5 bowl games in his career. 5 wins in those bowl games. 5 MVPs in those games. The guy just gets it done. Obviously.

3. Will Smith, Senior, DE, Ohio State – Questionably the best DE in the draft. Turns out he is not just faster than we though, but MUCH faster than we though, running a ridiculous 4.58 in the 40. He posted a 38.5 vertical leap and 30 reps of 225. Saying he was very impressive would be an injustice to his workout. The biggest thing for me is that he weighed in at 267, which is great size at 6'2", with room to get a bit bigger. I am still not 100% sold on him as he was much lighter in college (played around 250lbs), but for the potential his numbers show, he may just be worth the risk. He was projected to go in this range prior to his workout, so the workout warrior tag doesn't really fit him. He could be Schobel's replacement, as the likelihood is that Schobel will command more money that Grant Winstrom's 33 million dollar contract with a 14 million dollar signing bonus. Donahoe does not have a history of paying that type of money out, but rather replacing in the draft.......

More........

Last edited by Tatonka; 04-01-2004, 08:08 AM.
    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe
  • BAM
    • Sep 2003

can't wait to read it

any previews?

Comment

• The Spaz
      • Mar 2003

Oh yeah baby!

Comment

• Tatonka
        • Jul 2002

"All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• The Spaz
          • Mar 2003

Tommie Harris

Comment

• Dozerdog
            In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
            • Jul 2002

Bad news- my computer crashed and it all got erased- I think it had a virus in it

Comment

• The Spaz
              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Dozerdog
              Bad news- my computer crashed and it all got erased- I think it had a virus in it
              April Fool's!

Comment

• Dozerdog
                In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                • Jul 2002

Shut.....up...!

Comment

• SeatownBillsFan21
                  • Mar 2004

Will Smith Please no DE in the frist rd this year

Comment

• Tatonka
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by SeatownBillsFan21
                    Will Smith Please no DE in the frist rd this year
                    he is option number 3.

what is your advice on how to handle aaron schobel's possible departure after this season? you ready to start denny and kelsay?

Comment

• Tatonka
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dozerdog

Comment

• the dude
                        • Jul 2003

Well done T!

As I went thru your pick suggestions, I found they seemed pretty close to the type of players I'd be looking for each round.

I'm not a 1st round QB fan - every year, QBs are the 1 position that are way overrated - no thanks to the gurus of hype that pump up mediocrity into the second coming of Brett Favre by the time April rolls around . But something about Rivers, I just think he has "it", so I'd warily take the plunge with him if he was available.

Some minor picks to nit, but overall I like the way you think ...

Round 2: If it comes down to a receiver in this round, I'd go after Derrick Hamilton from Clemson, 6'3"", 200 - has great hops, runs a sub 4.5 and is oozing with potential or Devard Darling from Washington State (6'2",215 and runs a 4.53) - who has great hands and is more polished than most of the higher ranked wideouts. I too would love Ben - Troupe or Watson, though I'm not sure either would be available by our #2 pick. I also would love to see Sean Jones, safety from Georgia available at this point - he'd be a no-brainer choice in my book if both the Bens and the top 7 wideouts are taken. Only if all these choices are gone would I go OL - and then only if Vernon Carey is available. Not as big a fan of Grove as you are.

Round 3: A couple other prospects that may be available at this point of the draft include Michael Boulware/OLB, Mark Wilson, OT from Cal (6'7", 314, runs a 5.35, was converted from TE early in his career, now has a tremendous upside), Brandon Everage, FS from OU - who despite questions about his attitude, played thru some pretty harsh injuries that hurt his draft status.

Round 4 and on: I don't think Kaeding lasts into the 2nd day, much less the 6th round. Scouts call him the best kicker coming out of college since Janikowski. Madieu WIlliams in Round 4 would be a great value pick. I've seen PK Sam as a 4th rounder in several mocks, so if he haven't picked up one of the top wideouts in the early rounds, I'd have to consider taking him in the 5th. It's so hard to tell who'll be around in the 2nd day, I just sit back and hope that Modrak and Co. have done their homework.

Comment

• B-DON
                          hi
                          • Mar 2004

Side note....I heard on SportsTalk radio here in Buffalo that Buffalo willl trade down if Phillip Rivers is off the board.

just read this on another board at footballabout.com

btw boulware ran a 4.4-4.5 and scouts are looking at the possibility of him playing fs

Comment

• B-DON
                            hi
                            • Mar 2004

Steelers | NFL Observers Say Rivers Is Who Pittsburgh Wants - from www.KFFL.com
                            Tue, 30 Mar 2004 09:16:38 -0800

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports NFL draft prospect QB Philip Rivers (North Carolina State) is not on the list of players to visit the Pittsburgh Steelers' facility next week, but many NFL observers say Rivers is the quarterback the Steelers are interested in. "It's a smokescreen," one NFL general manager said Monday, March 29, at the league meetings. "Rivers is the guy they want." Steelers head coach Bill Cowher was among those who attended Rivers' workout March 22 at North Carolina State.

Comment

• Lone Stranger
                              • Sep 2002

I like Harris a lot. The DL is aging and we have to start reinforcing there. As for trading down....everybody wants to trade down for more picks. Not a likely possibility.

Comment

Working...
                              X