PDA

View Full Version : Mularky discusses adding Stewart and his role...

Ickybaluky
04-01-2004, 06:15 AM
From the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review:

Tribune-Review (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/steelerslive/s_187238.html)

Text:

"The Buffalo Bills have talked to former Steelers quarterback Kordell Stewart about accepting a quarterback/slash role, but Bills coach Mike Mularkey isn't sure that Stewart will go for it. "My gut feeling is I'm not sure he's ready to accept a backup role, which I emphasized to him pretty much point blank," said Mularkey, who is committed this season to incumbent Drew Bledsoe as the starter. "This is not a come-in-and-compete-for-the-starting-job. We're looking for an experienced quarterback who if something happened to Drew, we'd feel comfortable with. I'm intrigued by Kordell because of some of the abilities he has to do some of the things we talk about. I don't want to call it the slash role, but it's a little bit of that. To me, when he was the most popular player in the league, that's what he was doing best. To me, at least he's being involved in the game. He is going to play in every game. I think he has to think that over, whether that's something that intrigues him or not. My gut feeling is he's got to think about it. It's not a no-brainer." Stewart also has spoken to the Denver Broncos about a backup job to Jake Plummer."

Pride
04-01-2004, 06:53 AM
I do NOT want him here...

I doenst bring confidence... which a backup QB needs to be successful.

The most important thing for a backup QB to have is confidence... when he steps on the field after the starter goes down (it happens at least once every season), his troops must have faith that he can keep them going, not lose faith and give up.

Skills aside, confidence is numero uno, and he doesnt have any... and I dont have any in him.

BAM
04-01-2004, 07:43 AM
I wouldn't mind picking him up... especially if we don't draft a QB at the end of the month. Who else will be backing up Drew? Travis Brown .. hehehhe

note: i would rather draft a QB :)

Novacane
04-01-2004, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by NE39
Mike Mularkey isn't sure that Stewart will go for it. "My gut feeling is I'm not sure he's ready to accept a backup role, ;

Gotta question the guys smarts if he thinks anyone else is going to give him a starter job. He's a backup at best in this league.

TedMock
04-01-2004, 10:12 AM
Let me start out by saying that I think Kordell is a bad QB. My initial reaction was also "NO F***IN WAY!!". However, the more I think about it the more it makes sense. Stewart's not a starter, no argument here. He is the total opposite of Drew. Drew's a big arm, pocket QB who's strengths are best used with play action and getting rid of the ball fast. He's not mobie (newsflash, right?). Kordell, as much as I hate him, is very athletic and he can run around the pocket with some ease. A moving pocket suits his abilities a little better. Anyway, my point is this: if Drew goes down, what better person to totally throw off the defense than a guy like Kordell? On the other hand, extended service (ie. more than a game) could mean trouble. Bledsoe's pretty durable, though, so it would take a hell of a shot to put him out for more than a game. Plus, Stewart was fun to watch when he accepted his role as "Slash".

Tatonka
04-01-2004, 10:25 AM
i think he could end up coming in and sparking the team with his athletic ability.. like..

:couch: flutie.

you dont want to have to depend on the guy for sure.. but i think that players in this league have some confidence in him.. and i can guarentee you that he has plenty of confidence in himself.. he put something along the lines of 35 tds one season. with over 10 rushing.. and in 2001, he was very good as well..

he will never be a great qb... but guys.. we are talking about a back up here.. alex van pelt was our back up for years.. and no one had a problem with that.. slash is much better than van pelt.. and if you say he isnt.. your high or just letting your hatred for an annoying gay qb blind you.. he can still help a team win.

Tatonka
04-01-2004, 10:26 AM
ps.. better td/turnover ration that bledsoe..

kthanks.

Ickybaluky
04-01-2004, 11:18 AM
Gotta question the guys smarts if he thinks anyone else is going to give him a starter job. He's a backup at best in this league.

There has been talk of him going to Canada for a year or two to play, and then trying to return to the NFL.

Mr. Cynical
04-01-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka
ps.. better td/turnover ration that bledsoe..

kthanks.

:spit:

:rofl:

No joke, I nearly spit out my soda when I read this.

Mr. Cynical
04-01-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka
i think he could end up coming in and sparking the team with his athletic ability.. like..

:couch: flutie.

you dont want to have to depend on the guy for sure.. but i think that players in this league have some confidence in him.. and i can guarentee you that he has plenty of confidence in himself.. he put something along the lines of 35 tds one season. with over 10 rushing.. and in 2001, he was very good as well..

he will never be a great qb... but guys.. we are talking about a back up here.. alex van pelt was our back up for years.. and no one had a problem with that.. slash is much better than van pelt.. and if you say he isnt.. your high or just letting your hatred for an annoying gay qb blind you.. he can still help a team win.

Agreed.

Earthquake Enyart
04-01-2004, 11:35 AM
You didn't see how horrible Stewart looked in Chicago. :puke:

Chandler looked like an all star compared to Kordell, with the same team.

There are only 2 worse quarterbacks playing today, Burris and Mirer.

Tatonka
04-01-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
You didn't see how horrible Stewart looked in Chicago. :puke:

Chandler looked like an all star compared to Kordell, with the same team.

There are only 2 worse quarterbacks playing today, Burris and Mirer.
'

chicago is a pathetic place... everyone that goes there sucks..

buffmaniac
04-01-2004, 11:54 AM
Kordell had a good year when he played under Mularkey and Clements in Pittsburgh. I think he could be a decent backup who could hold the fort down for a little while if Drew was to get hurt. Plus the idea of the slash type role is interesting too. Kordell probably isn't the athlete he used to be but when he had the slash role he was very effective. I think it could just bring another weapon to this offense and another thing defenses would have to prepare for. I wouldn't mind Kordell being signed.

colin
04-03-2004, 02:03 PM
No running QB, not even Vick, is as effective in creating things with his feet than Kordel.

I know he is piss at QB when throwing the ball, but as an Option RB, he is great. While he ate puke in Chi town, when he ran he made first down's happen on a team that had one good Offensive player, the center.

If he is in there for a few plays a game, he can pass a couple, run a bunch, and play WR in others.

He can be our speed WR that we need, a 3rd down back, and a back up QB. That is a ton of value IMO.

One Bills Drive
04-03-2004, 02:37 PM
We have several scenarios for Stewart, so it's up to what he is willing to do if there is to be any deal. One scenario we feel may be a sticking point is his role as Drew's booger picker, but Mike and I feel he would do exceptionally well at it. Tom is also on board with this role and even has a few trick booger plays in the works that we didn't see in Pittsburgh.

We should know by end of next week either way.

Sincerely,

TD

Captain gameboy
04-03-2004, 02:46 PM
I've said it before.
There has been more hope and money wasted on him than on the UN.

Here's the mistake I think we are making. On an April 3rd basis, he seems like a good, cheap option.

I think, on May 1st, after the draft, we will see things a lot different.
The guy has stunk up every team he has been on.
Want a WR? Draft a WR.
Want a QB? Draft a QB.

Cntrygal
04-03-2004, 04:40 PM
He would only be of value if he WANTED to run/catch the ball. Last I heard he wasn't intrested in any position other than QB. Has that changed?

Personally, I don't want him here.

smack541
04-03-2004, 05:49 PM
I see no problem with picking up Stewart if he understands that he i not competing for the starting job. When i first heard the name Kordel i about had a heart attack. But, i would love to have a Randal Ele type of player on our team. Think about a defense against us next year. Are they handing it off to Mcgahee or Henry and by the way is Kordell going to run, pass, or catch the ball. It would be mindboggling for the defense.