X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Pats Looking to trade their draft picks w/ Lions

"The Patriots have negotiated a standing offer with the Detroit Lions to acquire the sixth overall pick in the draft in exchange for four picks, including their two first-round selections, according to an industry source. The way the deal reportedly would work is if the target of the Patriots' affection is still on the board when the Lions are ready to select at No. 6, the Lions would trade their first-round choice, as well as a fourth-round pick (No. 105), to New England for the Patriots' two first-round picks (Nos. 21 and 32), one of its second-round choices (either No. 56 or 63), and a fourth-round pick (No. 113).
    Last edited by justasportsfan; 04-01-2004, 07:58 AM.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

IMO the Patriots would be better off keeping there picks an dgettign more players instead of just coming away with a safety in Sean Taylor if they do intend on taking him.

Comment

• Fairway To Green
      • Jul 2002

WOW! Thats a lot to give up. I wonder who they are targeting.

Comment

• Ebenezer
        Give me a minute...
        • Jul 2002

I think exactly the opposite. The Pats are young and defending SB champs with a overabundance of picks. Moving up to #4 gives them the opportunity to get a potential perenial all Pro. Think about it. They can pick whoever they want. They don't need a QB. Can you imagine them adding another WR??

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Fairway To Green
          • Jul 2002

or a potential bust.

Comment

• Tatonka
            • Jul 2002

i dont know what i think of this..

i know that the pats have a good personell group, who makes smart picks.. and the thought of them having 4 picks in the first 2 rounds is a bit scarey.. but at the same time the thought of them getting one superstar is scarey too.. hopefully it will be a wr and not taylor... because at least we wont have to worry about the wr for about 3 more years.

and i guess they will use their second round pick on a rb?
            "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Fat Tony
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Ebenezer
              I think exactly the opposite. The Pats are young and defending SB champs with a overabundance of picks. Moving up to #4 gives them the opportunity to get a potential perenial all Pro. Think about it. They can pick whoever they want. They don't need a QB. Can you imagine them adding another WR??
              The Patriot's linebacker corps is very old- McGintest, Ted Johnson, and Phifer were all drafted intot he NFL when Parcells was coaching in New England.

They also need offensive linemen. That many picks in this deep a draft is crazy. I can see them wheeling and dealing both up and down to grab certain players- but all those picks for one guy is nuts.

Comment

• Fairway To Green
                • Jul 2002

I think this is an April Fools joke. Why would the pats let it become public that they will trade up if Talyor is there. Some other team with the hots for him could move up to 5. It's common knowledge the skins would like to move down.

Comment

• The Spaz
                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Fairway To Green
                  I think this is an April Fools joke. Why would the pats let it become public that they will trade up if Talyor is there. Some other team with the hots for him could move up to 5. It's common knowledge the skins would like to move down.
                  There was talk about this before April 1st though.
                  Last edited by The Spaz; 04-01-2004, 10:36 AM.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                    • Jul 2003

I had posted this in the other Thread.

However, Borges is a credible source (although he has a blind hatred of Bill Belichick that taints his articles). He is a good writer.

The things that make this report interesting:

- On value of the picks works out about equal on the value charts. It still leaves the Patriots with a pick in every round but the 6th, and moves them one of the top picks in the 4th round to start day 2.

- In 1991, Belichick drafted S Eric Turner with the #2 overall selection while with Cleveland. He loves having good S, and it is even more important with the spread offenses teams run today.

- Borges and the Patriots don't get along, so this information probably came from Detriot, and Borges is close to Matt Millen. By coincidence, reports out of Detriot have the Pats talking about dealing up for their picks.

However, that still doesn't mean it is true. Borges was also broke a story last year right before the draft that the Pats were gong to package picks and trade up for Detriot's pick. It all ended up being a big smokescreen and the Jets ended up trading up with Detriot and taking DT Dwayne Robinson.

Comment

• Dantheman1280
                      I am the Man!
                      • Mar 2004

i hope the pats are crazy enough to trade all those picks for one guy. yes that one guy is good and even great but if they want to build a team consistanly they need the picks.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                        • Jul 2003

Isn't the reason they stockpiled picks is to give themselves the ability to do something like this?

I mean, ultimately, they are left with a complete draft, as they will have a pick in each round. They have the #6 overall pick, and move up in the 4th. That seems reasonable if they think Taylor is an impact guy.

That said, I'm no draftnic. I watch some college games and have guys I like, but I can't really say if they will make good pros or not.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Jul 2002

Getting Taylor lets them move Wilson back to CB and let Law go.

They clear a ton of cap space by dumping Law and all those pics, and can trade Law for a next year's #1.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                            Administrator
                            • Jul 2002

I too am torn on this, b.c they have the ability to deal up and take Sean Taylor or Gallery or a WR, and then turn around in rd. 2 and still get a good RB. It all depends on who they take I guess...We will just have to wait and see.
                            COMING SOON...
                            Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                            We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                              • Jul 2003

Belichick has denied the deal:

Patriots.com

It says:

"The Patriots are no strangers to draft day trading, but when asked if he would swap the team's two first round picks, a second and a fourth to the Lions for the sixth overall pick and Detroit's fourth rounder, head coach Bill Belichick issued a firm denial. “We definitely would not consider that,” Belichick said. That scenario was reported in Thursday's Boston Globe in what it said was a standing offer between the two teams that would be predicated on the availability of University of Miami safety Sean Taylor at the sixth pick. Belichick said that no such offer has been agreed upon or is in place."

Comment

Working...
                              X