PDA

View Full Version : NBA looks at minor league system why not NFL??

DraftBoy
04-01-2004, 12:28 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/insider/story?id=1773236

Interview with NBA commisioner David Stern about developing the NBDL (National Basketball Developmental System). His proposal is to expand it from 6 team to 15 teams and have 2 NBA team share ownership or be affiliated with one team. So the NBDL team would be filled with have a roster from say the Mavericks and half from the Lakers. Now these wouldnt be star players but guys like Darko Millic would play and that would increase ticket revenue and such other things.

I say this b.c with the Clarettt ruling assuming it doesnt get struck down now the players that come out as one year wonders or are late day 2 picks can go somewhere and play along with the NFL season so that they can be called up and down as injuries occur or slumps happen. This would allow us to eliminate NFLE which in my mind is pointless bc we have so many players who preform well over there just to do diddly over here (Curtis Alexander, and Ken Simonton) and it would be a good reason to put the draft back at 12 rounds, they NFL is already well on its way by moving the PS from 5 to 8 players, why not this. NFL is already the most popular sport in America and I dont think this could hurt it.

Dozerdog
04-01-2004, 12:47 PM
I've always thought the NFL misuses NFL Europe.

Sure there is the occasional Kurt Warner- but of the most part teams just sig guys and send them over to fufill a league quota.

I've always thought that if NFLE can't average more than 20 K a game, bring it back over here.

Set up an 8 team league with each division (or region)stocking the talent (each team required to give 12 players- including 1 QB)

Teams cities can be in the middle of these territories- like Columbus, Birmingham, Hartford, Orlando, San Antonio, Sacremento, Des Moines, Knoxville

Play a 10 game schedule and maybe a championship game. Move the draft up a few weeks- play the season May, June, July.

There is no reason why Travis Brown, Joe Burns, Lavale Sape, or Dominique Stevenson can't get time playing spring ball.

DraftBoy
04-01-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

Sure there is the occasional Kurt Warner- but of the most part teams just sig guys and send them over to fufill a league quota.

I've always thought that if NFLE can't average more than 20 K a game, bring it back over here.

Set up an 8 team league with each division (or region)stocking the talent (each team required to give 12 players- including 1 QB)

Teams cities can be in the middle of these territories- like Columbus, Birmingham, Hartford, Orlando, San Antonio, Sacremento, Des Moines, Knoxville

Play a 10 game schedule and maybe a championship game. Move the draft up a few weeks- play the season May, June, July.

There is no reason why Travis Brown, Joe Burns, Lavale Sape, or Dominique Stevenson can't get time playing spring ball.

Agreed! 100% :hi5:

Romes
04-01-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

This would be a great idea!

I would love to have the chance to watch Bills players play during the spring. Not just some guys the Bills just picked up that would be lucky to make the practice squad but guys that are on the roster at 3rd/4th string spots.

L.A. Playa
04-01-2004, 01:49 PM
Then they can sell TV rights to NBC and have a deal with every network and make more money

Dozerdog
04-01-2004, 01:57 PM
They could also use it as a training ground for referees and rules changes, new technology, and other stuff.

Also, the NFL could begin a minoriy coaching program to address their minority hiring issue. Even if owners don't hire the minor league head coaches, colleges will. That's whee the biggest inequity lies.

Pride
04-01-2004, 02:06 PM
I dont think the NFL misuses it... it wasnt designed to be a minor leagues system... it was designed to bring western football to Europe.

Furthermore, Football is one of the few sports where the system dramatically affects how the player plays.

In basketball, as long as the guy can dribble, pass, and shoot, he can play on ANY team and succeed. Baseball, is even more simple, you perform your function, and it has little effect on the rest of the team.

Football, you are only as good as the guy next to you, that is why it wouldnt work like minor league baseball does now.

Dozerdog
04-01-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Pride
I dont think the NFL misuses it... it wasnt designed to be a minor leagues system... it was designed to bring western football to Europe.

Furthermore, Football is one of the few sports where the system dramatically affects how the player plays.

In basketball, as long as the guy can dribble, pass, and shoot, he can play on ANY team and succeed. Baseball, is even more simple, you perform your function, and it has little effect on the rest of the team.

Football, you are only as good as the guy next to you, that is why it wouldnt work like minor league baseball does now.

I think you are completely wrong. For QB's, skill positions, Offensive linemen..it's all about learning systems and or trechnique. Unfortunately, seasons are to short for a raw physical talent to get any meaningful time in action. What could an Antonio Brown do with thtat speed if he actually learned how to use it?

For DL, one of the biggest drawbacks for players is "bulking up" to NFL standards. It's taking Bannan, Denny and Kelsay 2-3 years to develop. It's a perfect situation

Dantheman1280
04-01-2004, 02:13 PM
i for one this that a minor leauge football system would be wonderful

The Spaz
04-01-2004, 02:17 PM
I agree Dozer accepth the league already has a minority hiring system in fact our new RB Coach was part of it with the Giants.

TedMock
04-01-2004, 03:01 PM
What's the NBA minor league system for, 8th graders? Anyway, I agree with Pride and Dozer each to an extent. NFL Europe was/is supposed to be for bringing American Football to the rest of the world. Some of the NFL GM's smartened up and used it as a developmental league. There are limits involved, though. So many European players must be on the squad, limited number of NFL contract players allowed, etc. With a few minor tweaks this could be great for it's original purpose as well as the "new" purpose of developing NFL players.