PDA

View Full Version : It's official, Ruben Brown a Bear...

Ickybaluky
04-01-2004, 01:12 PM
... per John Clayton of ESPN. No terms yet.

DraftBoy
04-01-2004, 01:14 PM
You hear it on TV or see it on the net?

Ickybaluky
04-01-2004, 01:33 PM
KFFL:

Bears | Brown Signed - from www.KFFL.com
Thu, 1 Apr 2004 09:32:52 -0800

John Clayton, of ESPN.com, reports the Chicago Bears has signed free agent OG Ruben Brown (Bills) to a three-year deal. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

The Spaz
04-01-2004, 01:34 PM
Good luck Ruben.

DraftBoy
04-01-2004, 01:39 PM
Good move for Chicago

TKO
04-01-2004, 02:12 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1773412

Bufftp
04-01-2004, 02:14 PM
Good luck Rube :bigwave:

Dantheman1280
04-01-2004, 02:23 PM
Gook luck Ruben, Even tho there are haters on this board i will miss you when the season starts. Now moulds is the only player left from the Butler crew! Let us pray we keep him!

Tatonka
04-01-2004, 02:38 PM
good luck ruben..

adding villarrial at this stage is still an upgrade over the current ruben though. and much cheaper.

Throne Logic
04-01-2004, 02:59 PM
Be curious to see what Ruben's contract looks like in comparison to Villarial's.

Tatonka
04-01-2004, 03:05 PM
has to be more..

Mr. Cynical
04-01-2004, 03:11 PM
It would be fairly ironic though if Ruben makes the pro bowl and Villarial doesn't. Unless the money differential is huge, Chicago is gonna look pretty smart if that happens.

Tatonka
04-01-2004, 03:40 PM
what difference does a probowl make?

probowls have not been indicative of rubens performance.. probowls have been indicative of rubins reputation from 5 years ago.

and the money is something else.. ruben was not going to take a 3 million dollar pay cut.. which is how much less villarrial cost.. he may have signed for cheaper in chicago because he has been sitting on his ass for over a month without getting any interest from other teams..

think about all the teams that need serious help on the oline.. miami didnt even bring ruben in for a talk.. what does that tell you.

Kolbiss
04-01-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka

probowls have not been indicative of rubens performance.. probowls have been indicative of rubins reputation from 5 years ago.

and the money is something else.. ruben was not going to take a 3 million dollar pay cut.. which is how much less villarrial cost.. he may have signed for cheaper in chicago because he has been sitting on his ass for over a month without getting any interest from other teams..

think about all the teams that need serious help on the oline.. miami didnt even bring ruben in for a talk.. what does that tell you.

Very well put!!!

Mr. Cynical
04-01-2004, 04:03 PM
Whoa there T. ;)

I was just sayin' *if* it happens...that's all. Wasn't saying it *was* gonna happen. :D

I don't have any problem with the swap. :up:

Tatonka
04-01-2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by kal123
Whoa there T. ;)

I was just sayin' *if* it happens...that's all. Wasn't saying it *was* gonna happen. :D

I don't have any problem with the swap. :up:

it is rumored that he signed a deal for a little over a million a year.. i guess that tells you what he is valued at if it is true.

Mr. Cynical
04-01-2004, 04:44 PM
it is rumored that he signed a deal for a little over a million a year.. i guess that tells you what he is valued at if it is true.

Ouch. Well...it's not like he hasn't stockpiled the big bucks over the years so I'm sure he'll be okay with his "paltry" mil a year. ;)

What really sucks is that he'll make more in his last few "declining years" than I will in my entire life. :cry: :hang:

helmetguy
04-01-2004, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Dantheman1280
Gook luck Ruben, Even tho there are haters on this board i will miss you when the season starts. Now moulds is the only player left from the Butler crew! Let us pray we keep him!

Interesting that you mention the Late John Butler; if only in passing. Admittedly, he was generally a pretty good talent evaluator. I just don't think he ever caught on to all the ramifications of the CBA. A lot of our current difficulties can be attributed to the salary cap problems we ended up with in an attempt to squeeze one more playoff run out of aging stars. As for Reuben Brown, I wish him well in Chicago.

Mr. Cynical
04-01-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by helmetguy

Interesting that you mention the Late John Butler; if only in passing. Admittedly, he was generally a pretty good talent evaluator. I just don't think he ever caught on to all the ramifications of the CBA. A lot of our current difficulties can be attributed to the salary cap problems we ended up with in an attempt to squeeze one more playoff run out of aging stars. As for Reuben Brown, I wish him well in Chicago.

Very good point.

STAMPY
04-01-2004, 08:40 PM

If this theory is true, my question is how come this reputation doesn't work for all the other guys who were great back in the day, but lost their skills. Like did bruce smith make pro bowl last year? and other guys who used to be awesome. i just don't get it. i kno he's not the best nemore but i think the theory is ludacrous

The_Philster
04-01-2004, 08:45 PM
With offensive lineman, what numbers do you have to go off of? The uneducated sports viewer bases everything on stats. If a DE or CB puts up good numbers, those people notice that. What numbers do they notice as far as offensive linemen?

STAMPY
04-01-2004, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
With offensive lineman, what numbers do you have to go off of? The uneducated sports viewer bases everything on stats. If a DE or CB puts up good numbers, those people notice that. What numbers do they notice as far as offensive linemen?

how come the guys in pro bowl 5 years ago along with ruben aren't put in yearly based on reputation as well?