PDA

View Full Version : Smith, Mora and Mularkey excited by new jobs

deathadder
04-01-2004, 05:27 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=1773389

Mularkey, meanwhile, is doing his own work at quarterback. He's been hired to revitalize the career of quarterback Drew Bledsoe. It's becoming clear this is a make or break year for Bledsoe, who is due a $7 million option bonus at the end of the season.

If Bledsoe doesn't get it done this year, Mularkey may be grooming another quarterback for the future. The Bills could take Philip Rivers in the first round but they believe he will be drafted before they pick at No. 13. If that's the case, they might take a quarterback in the second round.

Mularkey met with Bledsoe two weeks after he was hired and talked about his role with the Bills.

"The old saying is you can't teach an old dog new tricks," Mularkey said. "You can teach a guy with his experience something that will make him more effective. If there's anybody who can do it I think Sam Wyche is the guy. He is very detail oriented. He has coached some great quarterbacks. Everything from the huddle to the snap to the whistle, he is talking these guys through everything."

Bledsoe tends to sit in the pocket and get creamed. To adapt, Mularkey wants Bledsoe to release the ball on his fifth step.

"Some of that is in the design of the play," Mularkey said. "On his fifth step, he's got to let it go. Some of the scheme will almost force him to get the ball out of his hands quicker. I'm not going to say anything about the system or last year. I have a different philosophy on how to attack, and I think (offensive coordinator) Tom Clements has the same one, which is why I feel comfortable with Tom calling the plays. He has seen it be effective. I think it improved Kordell Stewart's play. It improved Tommy Maddox's play. I think it will help Drew."

Even though Mora, Smith and Mularkey have been career assistants, they sounded like experienced coaches at the meeting this week.

The Spaz
04-01-2004, 06:13 PM
Mularkey will be good!:up::beer:

Mr. Cynical
04-01-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by deathadder
Bledsoe tends to sit in the pocket and get creamed.

The Official Understatement of the Year. :D

Tatonka
04-01-2004, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by kal123
The Official Understatement of the Year. :D

remember.. we are on a drew truce.

:shakeno:

Mr. Cynical
04-02-2004, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka

remember.. we are on a drew truce.

:shakeno:

Don't worry, I know. Look at the time stamp. It was 7:35BDT (Before Drew Truce) ;)

It's all good now. :D

Romes
04-02-2004, 03:40 AM
I must say this "Drew Truce" is kinda nice....

:cheers:

ryjam282
04-02-2004, 07:37 AM
I wish we could get everyone on this truce....I am so tired of seeing all these damn posts ripping the guy apart. We all know he had problems the last year and a half and we know everyone's opinions. Let's just give him this year to see if he can change our minds. He will be the starter so bashing him will do no good. TRUCE!!!!