PDA

View Full Version : Pete Prisco says Bills trying to trade up for Roy Williams or Larry Fitzgerald

baalworship
04-01-2004, 09:34 PM
Paragraph in: Around The League (http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/7224632)

BillsRockSOMUCH
04-01-2004, 09:37 PM
The Patriots and Bills are both trying to trade up to get a big-play receiver. The Bills have the 13th pick, and would love to move up to possibly get a shot at one of the premier receivers in the draft, Roy Williams of Texas or Pitt's Larry Fitzgerald. New England, which has two first-round picks (21 and 32), is also looking to move up to possibly get one of those two. They have talked with Detroit about the sixth overall pick. Both teams need big-play receivers, so these discussions make a lot of sense.

Bills coach Mike Mularkey said he plans to use Travis Henry and Willis McGahee in the same backfield some this season. Henry is penciled in as the starter, but McGahee looked good last week during the team's minicamp and he is a first-round pick who sat out last year recovering from ACL surgery. Henry has two years left on his contract, so perhaps the Bills are readying McGahee to take over after Henry leaves in 2006, unless, of course, he beats him out.

juice
04-01-2004, 09:37 PM
Primetime player with an immediate impact.

The Spaz
04-01-2004, 09:41 PM
Oh the excitement of draft time!:party:

Novacane
04-01-2004, 09:47 PM
Pete Prisco is one source I do not trust at all.. I am against us moving up in this draft. It will cost too much.

TigerJ
04-01-2004, 09:48 PM
Also in Prisco's column, he stated Mike Williams is dropping like a rock because of questions about attitude, conditioning, speed, and versatility. He has trouble catching balls on the right side of the formation, being a southpaw. Interesting.

Novacane
04-01-2004, 09:54 PM
The consensus at this week's owners meetings was that USC receiver Mike Williams is falling like a rock off a roof. Will he fall out of the first round? No. But don't expect to see him in the top 10, either. Williams will work out for scouts April 8, but that is too late for a lot of teams, many of whom who have already started stacking their draft board.

Writing stuff like that is what makes him uncredible in my eyes. Saying that having his work out too late will make him drop because many teams have have already started stacking thier draft board? That is just outright stupid.

The Natrix
04-01-2004, 09:55 PM
That would be a bad move. Get a receiver in the second if they insist on adding a WR.

Anyway, since Prisco said it, it probably won't happen. :up:

lordofgun
04-01-2004, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ
Also in Prisco's column, he stated Mike Williams is dropping like a rock because of questions about attitude, conditioning, speed, and versatility. He has trouble catching balls on the right side of the formation, being a southpaw. Interesting.

That's funny. I saw Mike Williams catch EVERYTHING thrown his way all year. Prisco doesn't know crap.

mypoorfriendme
04-01-2004, 10:17 PM
it doesnt make sense for us to trade up (which would take a lot) when someone is bound to fall to 13, or we can wait til rd two and grab someone like rashaun woods or michael jenkins OR we can wait until the third and fourth and get someone like pk sam

baalworship
04-01-2004, 10:28 PM
It all depends on how you rate the players. If you really feel Roy Williams or Larry Fitzgerald is a SPECIAL blue chipper moving up from 13 to 6 is possible. I calculated it would take roughly a 2nd and 4th in addition to our 13th to get the 6th overall.

Tom Donahoe would only move up if he thought someone was head and shoulders over what he could get by holding at 13.

Novacane
04-01-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by baalworship
It all depends on how you rate the players. If you really feel Roy Williams or Larry Fitzgerald is a SPECIAL blue chipper moving up from 13 to 6 is possible. I calculated it would take roughly a 2nd and 4th in addition to our 13th to get the 6th overall.

I really think it would cost us more than that. If TD moves in this draft I want him to move down.

mypoorfriendme
04-01-2004, 10:45 PM
i dont think the level of play between larry fitzgerald and whatever other wr's are there at 13 are worth a second and a fourth, especially in this years draft

mikemac2001
04-01-2004, 10:50 PM
TD wont move up, if a playmaker aint there get more picks

Dozerdog
04-01-2004, 10:51 PM
Makes you wonder if Prisco trades putting out smokescreen stories like this for a few GMs in exchange for inside info.

baalworship
04-01-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by mypoorfriendme
i dont think the level of play between larry fitzgerald and whatever other wr's are there at 13 are worth a second and a fourth, especially in this years draft

And the speculation is that the Bills and Pats have a different opinion. I am curious where Prisco heard this.

Novacane
04-01-2004, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by baalworship

And the speculation is that the Bills and Pats have a different opinion. I am curious where Prisco heard this.

I'd be willing to bet he made it up. I just can not see TD moving up.

Tatonka
04-01-2004, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by juice
Primetime player with an immediate impact.

yeah.. cuz there are tons of rookie wrs that are huge impact players.. i can think of 2 in the last 10 years. moss and boldin, and neither of which translated to wins for the team.

Originally posted by TigerJ

i love that.. he is dropping.. like a rock even.. but hasnt worked out yet.. :rolleyes:

guys.. why is there an obsession with a wr.. if we are a smashmouth offense.. what good is a rookie wr gonna do.. especially since he will be the 3rd wr at BEST...

it is so stupid.. if we trade up and grab a wr.. i will be laughing while TD gets himself fired and sets his new coaching staff up for failure.

baalworship
04-01-2004, 11:00 PM
A good GM should consider Staying, Trading Down, OR Moving Up. There is nothing inherently smart about any option. It all depends on how you rate the players on the board.

If Fitz, Roy, Reggie, Rashaun, etc are all = you are right.

If 2 WR's are in a different league than the others....you are wrong.

I have no idea how much better Roy is than Reggie, if at all.

Dozerdog
04-01-2004, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
yeah.. cuz there are tons of rookie wrs that are huge impact players.. i can think of 2 in the last 10 years. moss and boldin, and neither of which translated to wins for the team.

i love that.. he is dropping.. like a rock even.. but hasnt worked out yet.. :rolleyes:

guys.. why is there an obsession with a wr.. if we are a smashmouth offense.. what good is a rookie wr gonna do.. especially since he will be the 3rd wr at BEST...

it is so stupid.. if we trade up and grab a wr.. i will be laughing while TD gets himself fired and sets his new coaching staff up for failure.

TD hasn't blown any drafts to date- I can't see why all the pessimism about it.

If you are right T, and it takes a WR a season or two- then Now could be the time to get Mould's replacement. He won't most likely be here in 2006 making over 5-6 million.

But I'm not going to cream my shorts over one guy- any guy - on the draft board- Unless I have the #1 overall pick. Otherwise, you just set yourself up to get your heart broken. (or make dumb moves like overpay to trade up)

See what is on the board at 13 and then make up your mind

Tatonka
04-01-2004, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
TD hasn't blown any drafts to date- I can't see why all the pessimism about it.

If you are right T, and it takes a WR a season or two- then Now could be the time to get Mould's replacement. He won't most likely be here in 2006 making over 5-6 million.

But I'm not going to cream my shorts over one guy- any guy - on the draft board- Unless I have the #1 overall pick. Otherwise, you just set yourself up to get your heart broken. (or make dumb moves like overpay to trade up)

See what is on the board at 13 and then make up your mind

he hasnt blown any draft.. but his first draft was the only impressive one..

your right.. this may be the draft to grab a wr to be moulds replacement.. and td as well as anyone should know that this draft is so damn deep at wr as well as many other spots.. that any team that wastes picks trading up is getting the bad end of the deal.. unless your a team that is all set at starter and depth.. which we are far from.

Tatonka
04-01-2004, 11:15 PM
actually.. the clements, schobel, henry, jennings, sullivan draft was his only good one..

the williams, denny, wire draft is average at best.. unless some players make some changes in the direction their play has headed.

then last years is still up to debate.. but really all depends on mcgahee and kelsay.

Dozerdog
04-01-2004, 11:21 PM
actually.. the clements, schobel, henry, jennings, sullivan draft was his only good one..

the williams, denny, wire draft is average at best.. unless some players make some changes in the direction their play has headed.

then last years is still up to debate.. but really all depends on mcgahee and kelsay.

But the whole damn draft pool was awful..... you can't hold a GM accountable for getting only 2-3 players out of a draft if the draft sucked. You can hold him accountable if the guy he picked sucked, and the guy he passed on turned out great.

Dozerdog
04-01-2004, 11:22 PM
And you left off Josh Reed on that second one

Tatonka
04-01-2004, 11:24 PM
And you left off Josh Reed on that second one

lol.. we are still talking about drafting a wr now arent we? alot of people have already resigned themselves to the fact that josh is just a 3rd receiver.. a lifetime slot guy.. if they are right.. which he hasnt disproved yet.. then a high 2nd rounder was a horrible pick.

Tatonka
04-01-2004, 11:26 PM
But the whole damn draft pool was awful..... you can't hold a GM accountable for getting only 2-3 players out of a draft if the draft sucked. You can hold him accountable if the guy he picked sucked, and the guy he passed on turned out great.

agreed.. to a certain extent.. but i will blame the gm if he makes more bad picks than good ones.. and right now.. it looks like we got more bad picks than good ones out of drafts 2 and 3.. but like i said.. they are still up in the air.. the first draft was great... we got immediate starters out of it.. and 4 studs.. (jennings, schobel, henry, clements) .. if TD can duplicate that.. and he should.. with all the talent in this draft.. then i may be convinced that he is this master drafter that everyone seems to give him credit for.

Dozerdog
04-01-2004, 11:29 PM
lol.. we are still talking about drafting a wr now arent we? alot of people have already resigned themselves to the fact that josh is just a 3rd receiver.. a lifetime slot guy.. if they are right.. which he hasnt disproved yet.. then a high 2nd rounder was a horrible pick.

I'm not writing anyone off who had to serve under General Gillbride.

George S Patton could have been under Saddam Hussein and he still would have had his ass kicked.

If we get a WR early, it will be to replace Moulds down the road- not to replace Reed now. Reed still has a very bright future.

Besides- who was the guy we should have taken there?

Dozerdog
04-01-2004, 11:31 PM
agreed.. to a certain extent.. but i will blame the gm if he makes more bad picks than good ones.. and right now.. it looks like we got more bad picks than good ones out of drafts 2 and 3.. but like i said.. they are still up in the air.. the first draft was great... we got immediate starters out of it.. and 4 studs.. (jennings, schobel, henry, clements) .. if TD can duplicate that.. and he should.. with all the talent in this draft.. then i may be convinced that he is this master drafter that everyone seems to give him credit for.

Again- it's only a bad pick if we passed over on obvious talent that suceeded somewhere else. If all you have is a vine with rotten tomatoes, does it matter which one you pick?

Tatonka
04-01-2004, 11:49 PM
Again- it's only a bad pick if we passed over on obvious talent that suceeded somewhere else. If all you have is a vine with rotten tomatoes, does it matter which one you pick?

Besides- who was the guy we should have taken there?

instead of taking a RT with the 4th overall pick.. we could have had the following players from this horrible draft...
- Roy williams, FS would be solved
- Bryant Mckennie, Jennings could have stayed at RT where he was better, and mckennie is as good as if not better than williams.
- Dwight Freeney - instead of moving up for denny..

instead of drafting Reed - which is not a bad pick yet imho..
- gurode - OG
- Bentley - C/OG
- Portis - RB

instead of MOVING UP to get denny
- randle el
- antionio bryant
- deion branch

the draft was not full of crap players. there was plenty of talent there, just like every other draft..

last year was supposed to be weak talent too.. and our draft class is too young to judge just yet.. but guys that made an impact..

mcgahee could have been...
- nick barnett (defensive rookie of the year taken 4 picks later)
- Eric Steinbach, a good guard for cincy taken top of the 2nd round
- Rashean Mathis - FS/CB
- Ken Hamlin FS

Kelsay could have been
- Anquan Boldin
- Victor Hobson
- Tyrone Calico

and late picks that the bills missed out on.. drew henson.. kliff kingsberry..Dan Koppen... and more..

the draft was not that worthless .

mypoorfriendme
04-02-2004, 12:04 AM
well hell, i would be a great gm too if i could see into the future. thing is when boldin was picked it was considered a reach, everyone was shocked barnette went in front of both boss bailey and ej henderson. randle el was a risky converted qb, antonio bryant had character and legal problems, portis came out of no where, everyone atleast had william green over him, 7 out of 10 gms preferred mike williams over mckinnie.....theres a legitament excuse for all of those.

Dozerdog
04-02-2004, 12:25 AM
The 2001 offensive line was dreadful- and Williams was the top OL guy rated on the boards. McKinnie had unrealistic contract demands and held out most of the season.

Had TD picked him that high and he held out- You, Me, and everyone else would have torn off TD's head and crapped down the hole.

When you have a choice between a franchise tackle or a really solid FS- you go with the tackle hands down.

Portis? You have Henry. Freeny? An undersized DE who went 10-20 spots way ahead of where he was supposed to. At #4 it would have been a ridiculous pick.

- Rashean Mathis - FS/CB
- Ken Hamlin FS

Nick Barnett? You just invested in Takeo Spikes and Posey. And you have Fletcher. Let's spend a #1 pick on another LB

I remember everyone high on Mathis- but we already had 2 very good corners and spent our top picks in the previous few drafts on CB's. Ken Hamlin? Not so sure about picking a 2nd round Free safety in the first. But instead we picked the best RB prospect in the 2003, or even 2004 draft.

Tatonka- you want it both ways. In past drafts, you cite guys we could have picked in areas we were well stocked in when we made the picks. But now, when someone says "Why Not a WR" your retort is " We have WRs- why do we need one?"

Dozerdog
04-02-2004, 12:28 AM
Yes- the pat's draft has been outstanding the past year. Cincy's too- but they took a lot more shortcuts. We took a risk with McGahee- they took a couple- with a top CB (who got shot before the draft) and Kelly washington (coming off of major injury)

But look around the league- most teams didn't do as well either.

Dozerdog
04-02-2004, 12:29 AM
Missed out on Drew Henson???? After you bashed the guy for the past 2 months???

mypoorfriendme
04-02-2004, 12:34 AM
i think the thing about that is we could have drafted him last year and not have had to worry about trading for him.

mightyspaz
04-02-2004, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by The Spaz
Oh the excitement of draft time!:party:

I share your enthusiasm! ... Draft Time is the Greatest!
OH JOY!
Here's to Draft Time! :beers:

The_Philster
04-02-2004, 05:14 AM

Exactly...we're supposed to be a run-first offense now. We have Moulds-Reed-Shaw as our top 3 right now. I wouldn't turn down getting a WR but it's hardly our most pressing need.

SABURZFAN
04-02-2004, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
Pete Prisco is one source I do not trust at all.. I am against us moving up in this draft. It will cost too much.

i agree all the way around.we need every pick for this draft.having a williams or fitzgerald would be nice but i'd rather trade down and get an extra pick.

ryjam282
04-02-2004, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by The_Philster

Exactly...we're supposed to be a run-first offense now. We have Moulds-Reed-Shaw as our top 3 right now. I wouldn't turn down getting a WR but it's hardly our most pressing need.

I have to agree with both of these posts. Why does everyone want a WR when they have been *****ing and complaining about running the football. We don't have any need to move up in the draft for a WR. It won't happen mark my words.

Tatonka
04-02-2004, 07:54 AM
The 2001 offensive line was dreadful- and Williams was the top OL guy rated on the boards. McKinnie had unrealistic contract demands and held out most of the season.

Had TD picked him that high and he held out- You, Me, and everyone else would have torn off TD's head and crapped down the hole.

When you have a choice between a franchise tackle or a really solid FS- you go with the tackle hands down.

Portis? You have Henry. Freeny? An undersized DE who went 10-20 spots way ahead of where he was supposed to. At #4 it would have been a ridiculous pick.

- Rashean Mathis - FS/CB
- Ken Hamlin FS

Nick Barnett? You just invested in Takeo Spikes and Posey. And you have Fletcher. Let's spend a #1 pick on another LB

I remember everyone high on Mathis- but we already had 2 very good corners and spent our top picks in the previous few drafts on CB's. Ken Hamlin? Not so sure about picking a 2nd round Free safety in the first. But instead we picked the best RB prospect in the 2003, or even 2004 draft.

Tatonka- you want it both ways. In past drafts, you cite guys we could have picked in areas we were well stocked in when we made the picks. But now, when someone says "Why Not a WR" your retort is " We have WRs- why do we need one?"

see i knew you were going to do this to basically make my work a waste of time...

your statement was.. "it is not a bad pick unless you passed on someone good..."

i was showing you all the good players we passed on.

jamze132
04-02-2004, 09:49 AM
trading up will kills us. i doubt rivers will be there at 13 so we either stay there and hope for the best for trade down, get a late 1st round pick and an early 2nd rounder, pick up the best tightend on the board in the 1st and a qb of the future with the 2nd rounder. (losman) we better not grab a receiver until 3rd round, better yet, 4th. give us some depth at olb. i also think that spikes would be better suited in the middle with fletcher moving outside.

TedMock
04-02-2004, 10:36 AM
Don't forget that these GM's aren't just looking at this year's draft. They're looking at next year's talent pool as well. It's not as short sighted as we're making it out to be. You're always going to miss out on a few nice players but you have to look at where your needs (or strategies) will be in the next year or two as well. Josh Reed may end up being a number one WR and a very good one at that. He may also end up the best damn #2 guy in the league for a lot of years. With Moulds' contract coming up in the next couple of years and the fact that it typically takes a WR 2-4 years to come into their own, it can't hurt to start looking now. This years WR pool is pretty sweet so I don't necessarily think we'll need one in round one. Also, we really need 3 full seasons out of these guys to accurately judge the draft. So far we really know what TD's first draft is like. We'll see about the second draft this year. I'd love to see one of these DE's step up, otherwise it'd be nice if Udeze fell to us. He's a bigger DE and, as much as I like Schobel, he's not a dominant DE. He's a nice pass rusher who's too small to stand up against the run. We need a guy opposite him who can hold his ground. I'm hoping Kelsay is that guy. So far the only high round bad pick that I see is Denney. I think with his frame they felt that they could dump some weight on him but that hasn't been a successful venture so far. He and Kelsay are the same weight (275lbs.) but Denney's 6'7" and Kelsay's 6'4". 5 or 10 more pounds on Kelsay and he's closer to the guy we need.

Dozerdog
04-02-2004, 10:42 AM
Missed out on Drew Henson???? After you bashed the guy for the past 2 months???

Originally posted by mypoorfriendme
i think the thing about that is we could have drafted him last year and not have had to worry about trading for him.

Yeah- and guess what- He would still have his high contract demands, would have held out, and re-entered this seaon's draft and we would be out a pick.

Dozerdog
04-02-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by TedMock
Don't forget that these GM's aren't just looking at this year's draft. They're looking at next year's talent pool as well. It's not as short sighted as we're making it out to be. You're always going to miss out on a few nice players but you have to look at where your needs (or strategies) will be in the next year or two as well. Josh Reed may end up being a number one WR and a very good one at that. He may also end up the best damn #2 guy in the league for a lot of years. With Moulds' contract coming up in the next couple of years and the fact that it typically takes a WR 2-4 years to come into their own, it can't hurt to start looking now. This years WR pool is pretty sweet so I don't necessarily think we'll need one in round one. Also, we really need 3 full seasons out of these guys to accurately judge the draft. So far we really know what TD's first draft is like. We'll see about the second draft this year. I'd love to see one of these DE's step up, otherwise it'd be nice if Udeze fell to us. He's a bigger DE and, as much as I like Schobel, he's not a dominant DE. He's a nice pass rusher who's too small to stand up against the run. We need a guy opposite him who can hold his ground. I'm hoping Kelsay is that guy. So far the only high round bad pick that I see is Denney. I think with his frame they felt that they could dump some weight on him but that hasn't been a successful venture so far. He and Kelsay are the same weight (275lbs.) but Denney's 6'7" and Kelsay's 6'4". 5 or 10 more pounds on Kelsay and he's closer to the guy we need.

Excellent post

TedMock
04-02-2004, 10:45 AM
I almost forgot.......DT Tommie Harris is my pick of choice. Along with Rivers. Otherwise trade down if possible.

One Bills Drive
04-03-2004, 02:48 AM
All -

This is all just a rumor. I just looked at my trade folders and I don't see any of this in my notes.

Sincerely,

TD

SABURZFAN
04-03-2004, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by One Bills Drive
All -

This is all just a rumor. I just looked at my trade folders and I don't see any of this in my notes.

Sincerely,

TD

:chuckle:

welcome to the zone OBD.

The Spaz
04-03-2004, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by One Bills Drive
All -

Sincerely,

TD

Give us your draft board or just feel free to PM me!:up::snicker: