PDA

View Full Version : NFL to meet group on minority hiring

Cntrygal
10-18-2002, 08:46 AM
NFL officials will meet next week with a group of lawyers seeking more head coaching opportunities for blacks and increased minority hiring.

Cyrus Mehri, a lawyer representing the group, will meet with NFL executives Harold Henderson and Jeff Pash on Tuesday at the league's offices, according to a source within the league who spoke on condition of anonymity.

http://www.oaklandtribune.com/Stories/0,1413,82%257E10835%257E933634,00.html

WG
10-23-2002, 06:20 AM
This case would be a whole lot stronger if the black head coaches that were hired actually did something w/ their teams championship-wise.

Dungy's ruined an otherwise perfectly good offense in Indy. They haven't beaten a team over .500 all year.

Edwards is 2-4 in NY.

Good head coaches will be rewarded and those that people feel have the ability to bring wins will be hired. I really cannot believe that there is an owner in the league who would intentionally not hire a black head coach if in fact that person could help win a championship. 20 years ago I could have seen that, but not today. Not in the NFL.

venis2k1
10-24-2002, 07:55 PM
Nobody Cares that there are no Mexican Head Coaches...Yet

:mex: :mex: :mex:

casdhf
10-25-2002, 08:51 AM
Are there even any Mexican players?

Cntrygal
10-30-2002, 08:42 PM
NFL says minority hiring plan won't work

The NFL insists it is committed to hiring more minorities, but it doesn't support a plan to use draft picks as an incentive for teams to consider black coaches.

"It's ridiculous. It would be a sham," Gene Upshaw, executive director of the NFL Players Association, said after a discussion at Wednesday's league meetings about the plan, proposed by attorneys Cyrus Mehri and Johnnie Cochran Jr.

Mehri's and Cochran's plan would reward teams that interview minority candidates for front office and head coaching positions with extra draft choices and take picks away from teams that don't.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/articles/20021030/436455.html

SABURZFAN
10-30-2002, 08:45 PM
i want an Asian HC.

The_Philster
10-30-2002, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Cntrygal
NFL says minority hiring plan won't work

The NFL insists it is committed to hiring more minorities, but it doesn't support a plan to use draft picks as an incentive for teams to consider black coaches.

"It's ridiculous. It would be a sham," Gene Upshaw, executive director of the NFL Players Association, said after a discussion at Wednesday's league meetings about the plan, proposed by attorneys Cyrus Mehri and Johnnie Cochran Jr.

Mehri's and Cochran's plan would reward teams that interview minority candidates for front office and head coaching positions with extra draft choices and take picks away from teams that don't.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/articles/20021030/436455.html

I agree. It's a ridiculous idea to try to make incentives to hire a minority head coach. The best person for the job should get it regardless of race or anything.

Earthquake Enyart
10-31-2002, 03:26 PM
I saw the thing on HBO Real Sports. These are not guys you mess around with as they got $160 million out of Coca Cola and over another $100 million from another company (I don't remember who) for the same thing.

The odd thing is that the NCAA is way worse. Of division 1 and 1A schools that are not traditionally black (Alcorn State, etc) there are only 4 head coaches out of about 200. When ND played Mich. St., that was the 1st time EVER that 2 black head coaches faced each other in NCAA history.

There will be a slew of black head coaches hired. Pronto. Whether they deserve it or not. Marvin Lewis and Art Shell should both probably have HC jobs.