• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LouGrant
    The Zone Editor
    • Jul 2002

NFL Offseason For the Ages

March 3rd was a day of redemption for some, and bewilderment for others. Since that very elusive day in which the proverbial bell sounded off for free agency to begin, NFL organizations have been spending, trading, and building there teams to compete for the upcoming 2004 NFL season. This has been an offseason unlike any other in that we have actually seen trades take place. Swapping players to other teams is usually commonplace in other sports like hockey, baseball, or basketball, but football has seemed to always steer clear of this avenue; that is until this year. Many teams have dramatically shuffled their rosters, hired and fired new coaches, while a few organizations have, more or less, been catching Z's while other teams swoop up their superstars. Here now, I have compiled a list that recaps winners, losers, and other significant categories worthy of mention. Note, this compilation still could make dramatic changes within the near future, but I thought it might be fun to take a look at what we have seen since the bell rang, and the GM's have had their version of “The Price is Right.”

Biggest offseason winners:

Washington Redskins:
    After another disappointing season in the nation's capital, Washington owner did the unthinkable and fired Steve Spurrier, and resurrected Hall of Fame coach Joe Gibbs. With Gibbs came a bevy of talent, which on paper, looks to already have the makings of a solid playoff contender. First, they go out and get QB Mark Brunell, a proven winner, with a lot of gas still left in the tank. Next, the Skins trade the rights to all pro cornerback, Champ Bailey, and in return get arguably the best young running back in the league in Clinton Portis. After the Portis deal was done, the floodgates opened, and it seemed every time you turned on the TV you see Washington signs another player. Players like ex-NY Giant DT Cornelius Griffin, ex-Bear DE Phillip Daniels, ex-Colt LB Marcus Washington, and ex-Saint TE Walter Rasby were just a few of the new faces that will wear burgundy and gold in 2004.

............MORE....

Get into the Zone
  • Bulldog
    Top Dog
    • Jan 2003

Good read. But I think your assessment of the Phins may be a little off. While they have lost quite a few players, they have also made strides to improve their OL. Maybe not the biggest names on the market, but should be an improvement over last years rag-tag OL.
    I only drink when I'm alone or with others.

Comment

Working...
    X