PDA

View Full Version : 3 draft senarios, one sweet draft.

ShadowHawk7
04-03-2004, 11:12 PM
I'm torn b/w 3 possiblities in the first 3 rounds. This is assuming nobody huge slips. (Taylor, Big Ben, etc.) Rivers, Harris, and trading down, are my ideas in the first, and they'll affect the next two rounds. Rounds 4-7 stay almost the same regardless of the first 3 rounds.

Rivers senario
1. Phillip Rivers -Obvious QB of future, . Will Learn learn under DB for at least one year. Played in a NFL style offense at N.C. State.
2. Devery Henderson -Has great potential, though a bit development is needed for him. If Woods/Clayton/Evans slips here, I'd take him instead.
3. Chris Snee -Great value for this guard at round 3. Very good overall blocker w/ mean streak.

Or...
Trade Down senario (Traded 13 for Pats 21 and 32)
Round 1a. Carrey -best guard in the draft
Round 1b. Evans -Peerless Price with way better hands
Round 2. Darnell Dockert *Or any other DT in the 2nd round range, I don't know much about the DTs past the top 2 ones, Wilfork, and Harris
Round 3. Madieu Williams -A very good, yet very underrated player. Will solidify secondary IF Wire doesn't come thru. If Sean Jones is still there, however, I grab him instead.

Or...
Harris senario
Round 1. Tommy Harris - Will solidify our aging interior D-line for years to come.
Round 2. Jeff Grove -Best center in draft, plays w/ amazing mean streak.
Round 3. Keary Colbert - Or best WR available. Could be a great starter w/ proper coaching.

Then...
Round 4. Jeff Smoker -QB of future, problems of the field are in the past for him, very similat to Rivers; better arm. (in Rivers senario, a TE is grabbed here.)
Round 5. Mike Karney -Best blocking FB in draft; decent to good hands
Round 6. (Browns)
Round 7a. WR Drew Carter
Round 7b. Janet Jackson (I think we can rig her jersey for another "malfunction") :evil: Or a kicker

The only position, I didn't really address is TE, we need a backup to Cambell, but we can fill that after June 1 cuts. Well, I hope that made sense to you all. Any of the senarios above would be incredibly, amazingly, awesome. What do ya guys think?
:feedback:

ShadowHawk7
04-03-2004, 11:14 PM
The trade down w/ the pats may seem unlikely, but the top RB will go in the top 15, and 13 would be a perfect place to take him. Also, I'm shure TD could conjure other ways of trading down w/ other teams.

mypoorfriendme
04-03-2004, 11:21 PM
wow....just wow. i LOVE all of it. now if only our real draft could go like that :drool:

Tatonka
04-04-2004, 01:02 AM
i would be very very happy with any of those scenarios..

good work bud.. good work.

One Bills Drive
04-04-2004, 03:03 AM
Mr. Shadowhawk7,

I am very intrigued and impressed by your grasp of the complex mechanics of the NFL draft. If you are interested in applying for a position on my staff, please stop by the office on Monday morning at 7AM sharp and I'll have my assistant give you the neccessary paperwork.

Once we've had a chance to review it and do the appropriate background checks, I'll have her call you to set up an interview ASAP.

Sincerely,

TD

mypoorfriendme
04-04-2004, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by One Bills Drive
Mr. Shadowhawk7,

I am very intrigued and impressed by your grasp of the complex mechanics of the NFL draft. If you are interested in applying for a position on my staff, please stop by the office on Monday morning at 7AM sharp and I'll have my assistant give you the neccessary paperwork.

Once we've had a chance to review it and do the appropriate background checks, I'll have her call you to set up an interview ASAP.

Sincerely,

TD

youre going to say this to the wrong person and theyre actually going to show up. (im sure at this time of year tom donahoe has plenty of time to surf the net and sign every note of his "TD"). you should have atleast called yourself a representative or something

Jan Reimers
04-04-2004, 09:24 AM
I really like your first two scenarios, but think we have too many immediate needs to take Harris - as good as he is - in the 1st round.

The Spaz
04-04-2004, 10:27 AM
Mr. Shadowhawk7,

Sincerely,

TD

I'll be there too!:up::beer::snicker:

The Spaz
04-04-2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by mypoorfriendme

youre going to say this to the wrong person and theyre actually going to show up. (im sure at this time of year tom donahoe has plenty of time to surf the net and sign every note of his "TD"). you should have atleast called yourself a representative or something

It's funny.:lmao:

Tatonka
04-04-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers
I really like your first two scenarios, but think we have too many immediate needs to take Harris - as good as he is - in the 1st round.

tell me what position besides DT/DE has a chance to get on the field as an "immediate need"?

Dantheman1280
04-04-2004, 01:10 PM
all of the scenarios besides trading down are likely but i like the one where we get harris in the first round

BuffaloRanger
04-04-2004, 01:35 PM
The best part about the Harris scenario is getting Jake Grove in the 2nd. But I don't think he'll be there. But if he is, and TD passes on Grove in the 2nd, things will be thrown and broken in the ROK.

BillsRockSOMUCH
04-04-2004, 01:51 PM
Love all the scenerios.

TigerJ
04-04-2004, 02:17 PM
I think I like the second scenario best. One option instead of Karney in the fifth would be to draft Ben Hartsock, TE from Ohio State. He doesn't have the athleticism of a Winslow, Troupe or Watson, but he's big, has good hands and he's not the slowest TE in the draft.

ShadowHawk7
04-04-2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by mypoorfriendme
wow....just wow. i LOVE all of it. now if only our real draft could go like that :drool:

Yeah, I know, if it could only happen that way, either senario would be wicked. Add that with what looks to be a great coaching staff, a good, conservative run with the FA, and then all the talent and leaders we already have, we're looking at a serious SB run. I'd say witha draft similar to this, we'd go 11-5. Heck, in spite of our staff last year, we easily could of gone 10-6. (Dallas, Texans, Colts, Titans.)

Originally posted by Tatonka
i would be very very happy with any of those scenarios..

good work bud.. good work.

:up: :beer:

Mr. Shadowhawk7,

Sincerely,

TD

Sounds great! Wait, wait, wait, did you say backround checks? Umm, how bout we skip that boring and trival procedure, and go straight to the interview?? Please? :theirontome:

Originally posted by TigerJ
I think I like the second scenario best. One option instead of Karney in the fifth would be to draft Ben Hartsock, TE from Ohio State. He doesn't have the athleticism of a Winslow, Troupe or Watson, but he's big, has good hands and he's not the slowest TE in the draft.

That's a good point Tiger, he would be a good value in the 5th round. If we still had our 6th rounder, I'd take a FB there instead. But we got Mark Cambell for him, and I'd say, that was a great steal, and a great move by TD in aquiring him. Therefore, it would be like drafting 2 TEs in consectutive rounds, which doesn't make to much draft sense to me. While we could also fill the FB hole after June 1 cuts, Mike Karney seems like a great steal in the 5th for us.

ShadowHawk7
04-04-2004, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka

tell me what position besides DT/DE has a chance to get on the field as an "immediate need"?

Yeah seriously, do enlighten us, Jan. :rolleyes:

elltrain22
04-04-2004, 06:12 PM
All of the scenarios are well thought out, but I think the 3rd may be the best one for the Bills.

Mr. Cynical
04-04-2004, 06:28 PM
Good job. :up:

All I can say at this point is that I want Rivers (or Ben) at pretty much any cost. I'm sick and tired of the QB Carousel of Crap we've had since Kelly left after the '96 season. That was 7 seasons ago. Enough is enough. Time to build a foundation at the QB position to move the Bills into the future and back on top.

ShadowHawk7
04-04-2004, 06:48 PM
You make a good point Kal, and even though I willing to give DB one more chance, I know we need a solid QB for the future. I would take Rivers hands down, but I have a very good feeling about Jeff Smoker. This guy should be great. He has all the tools, as he's slightly less accurate than Rivers, but has a better arm. His stock went down, due to his past problems, and his team sorta falling around him. That would make him a great steal in the 4th round. I'd rather take a slight downgrade to an excellent player in the 4th round, than take that excellent player in the 1st.

Mr. Cynical
04-04-2004, 07:01 PM
I don't know anything about Smoker although two things that concern me from your description is the accuracy and the problems he's had. What kind of problems? Leaf-like stuff?

For me, the QB I want has these attributes (in order):

Primary
1. Great leader/decision maker
2. Quick release
3. Accurate

Secondary
4. Mobility
5. Arm strength
6. Size

From what I've read this is Rivers to a tee which is why I want him on the roster.

Although I will admit - having a jersey with "Smoker" on it would be pretty cool. :smoke: ;)

Tatonka
04-04-2004, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by kal123
I don't know anything about Smoker although two things that concern me from your description is the accuracy and the problems he's had. What kind of problems? Leaf-like stuff?

For me, the QB I want has these attributes (in order):

Primary
1. Great leader/decision maker
2. Quick release
3. Accurate

Secondary
4. Mobility
5. Arm strength
6. Size

From what I've read this is Rivers to a tee which is why I want him on the roster.

Although I will admit - having a jersey with "Smoker" on it would be pretty cool. :smoke: ;)

smoker is all of those things that you listed, kal. when shadow said that smoker was slightly less accurate than rivers.. that is what he ment.. slightly.. he is still an above 60% guy.

his off the field issues stem from him checking himself into rehab for his alcohol addiction.. it was volentary.. he did it his junior year, and came back from it a better person.. won his job back and has been up front about overcoming his issues on his own.

ShadowHawk7
04-04-2004, 08:34 PM
You beat me to it T. That's completely correct, and I couldn't say it any better myself. Does that explain it Kal? Once again, I'm still not knocking Rivers at all, I think he's a great player, and I wouldn't be ticked if the bills picked him. Like I said before, I'd rather take a slight downgrade to an excellent player in the 4th round, than take that excellent player in the 1st.

Mr. Cynical
04-04-2004, 09:29 PM
Yep, all clear. :up:

The fact that he already came back after his rehab and did a great job is good enough for me. And even though a drinking problem is nothing to take lightly by any means, I'd rather him have that problem than things like pure selfishness, being impossible to work with, a choker, etc...i.e., a head case like Leaf. That type of problem rarely turns around.

Although I'd still prefer Rivers, I'd be fine with Smoker given what you guys have said about him.

The bottom line is we need a thoroughbred to bring us back to glory. :D

ShadowHawk7
04-04-2004, 09:40 PM
Very true, indeed Kal. ;)

Tatonka
04-04-2004, 10:02 PM
Yep, all clear. :up:

The fact that he already came back after his rehab and did a great job is good enough for me. And even though a drinking problem is nothing to take lightly by any means, I'd rather him have that problem than things like pure selfishness, being impossible to work with, a choker, etc...i.e., a head case like Leaf. That type of problem rarely turns around.

Although I'd still prefer Rivers, I'd be fine with Smoker given what you guys have said about him.

The bottom line is we need a thoroughbred to bring us back to glory. :D

if you do a little research on him.. the main attributes that you will find are as follows..

plays big in big games. clutch player.
accurate passer
quick decisions
fast release
not a scrambler, but mobile in the pocket
leader in the huddle

the down side to him is:
doesnt have a canon arm, but it is better than rivers
alcohol issues.. that he has seeked treatment on.

and that is about it.

like i said.. i really like the kid. now i am not dead set on him.. but i will say that it will bother me a bit if we take rivers or ben in the first.. and somehow i see smoker there in the 4th or 5th... but i really believe he will end up going in the 3rd.

The Spaz
04-04-2004, 10:38 PM
Interesting.... from what I get in your description on him (and I could be misreading it) is that Smoker is basically another Rivers with a slightly stronger arm but is slightly less accurate.

If that's the case, I would think Smoker would at least be a 2nd rounder. Is he a 3rd or 4th because of the drinking problem?

Here's another anaysis:

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42570

Mr. Cynical
04-04-2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz

Here's another anaysis:

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42570

Hehe...you grabbed my post just before I deleted it. ;) I read your post from PFW and felt I may as well post there to keep the discussion on Smoker in one place. :)

The Spaz
04-04-2004, 11:04 PM

Hehe...you grabbed my post just before I deleted it. ;) I read your post from PFW and felt I may as well post there to keep the discussion on Smoker in one place. :)

:up::beer: