PDA

View Full Version : PFW on Jeff Smoker

The Spaz
04-04-2004, 10:28 PM
(6-3 1/8 223, 4.9e) Michigan State

Notes: Started 3 games in 2000 and completed 103-of-197 passes for 1,365 yards, six touchdowns and seven interceptions. As the ful-time starter in '01, he was 166-262-2,579-21-9. Started the first seven games games in '02 before admitting to substance-abuse issues and missing the last five games. In seven games, he tossed 114-203-1,593-13-10. Returned to the team in sping '03 and regained the starting job by fall. Started 13 games and completed 302-488-3,395-21-14, completing 61.9 percent of his passes. Named secend-team All-Big Ten by both the coaches and the media.

Positives: Resilient and tough. Re-established himself as the starting quarterback. Adequate setup and foot quickness. Quick release. Good short-to-intermediate accuracy. Good snap and velocity. Better in '03 at going through progressions. Improved his pocket awareness but still lacks good feel for pressure and when to step up.

Negatives: Lacks poise and struggles with pressure in his face. Locks onto primary target. Shows some pocket awareness but lacks foot quickness to avoid the rush. Arm thrower who must learn to drive the ball using his legs. Deep balls float. Lacks accuracy on the move and is not a scrambler to create a play. Past issues with substance abuse are a concern. His accuracy was off at the Hula Bowl, and he struggled to drive the ball downfield at the Combine.

Summary: Tools to be a solid No. 2. Made tremendous strides in 2003 and has improved his draft status. Based on talent, he's a mid-to late-round pick, but character concerns has wiped him off many team's draft boards.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/cs/sports/m-footbl/auto_ap/msu-smoker-090302.jpg
<b>Jeff Smoker</b>

Mr. Cynical
04-04-2004, 10:37 PM
Ouch. After reading this (if accurate) I don't want to go near him. :(

Tatonka
04-04-2004, 11:28 PM
it is not necessarily accurate.. i can show you 3 other reports that are much much better than that.. and in some cases say the exact opposite of what that does...

reffering spefically to the not good under pressure and all that crap..

The Spaz
04-05-2004, 06:20 AM
Pro Football Weekly is well respected and been around for years. I'm not saying they're always correct but I put a lot more stock into them than all of the fan sites(Except for ours of course).

ryjam282
04-05-2004, 07:29 AM
I have to agree. I didn't watch him all that much and after reading this, I am a bit skeptical. I mean, Arm thrower who must learn to drive the ball using his legs If he hasn't learned how to throw the ball properly yet then what is up with that? I don't know.......Stay away is my opinion, RIVERS IS STILL THE #1 here.

TRUCE

BigZ
04-05-2004, 07:57 AM
Lacks poise and struggles with pressure in his face. Locks onto primary target. Shows some pocket awareness but lacks foot quickness to avoid the rush.

Are we talking about Rob Johnson here?

eyedog
04-05-2004, 08:15 AM
What qb doesn't struggle with pressure in his face ?????????

ryjam282
04-05-2004, 08:17 AM
Kurt Warner didn't have much trouble at the beginning of his career. Then all the concussions took effect.

DraftBoy
04-05-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by ryjam282
I have to agree. I didn't watch him all that much and after reading this, I am a bit skeptical. I mean, Arm thrower who must learn to drive the ball using his legs If he hasn't learned how to throw the ball properly yet then what is up with that? I don't know.......Stay away is my opinion, RIVERS IS STILL THE #1 here.

TRUCE

That can be taught by a solid QB coach which we have in Wyche. Rivers has worse mechanics than Smoker.

ShadowHawk7
04-05-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by kal123
Ouch. After reading this (if accurate) I don't want to go near
him. :(

Ugh, thats a pretty harsh report... But I don't know if it's all correct. I can see where you're coming from though.

Originally posted by Tatonka
it is not necessarily accurate.. i can show you 3 other reports that are much much better than that.. and in some cases say the exact opposite of what that does...

reffering spefically to the not good under pressure and all that crap..

Please do.

Ð
04-05-2004, 11:39 AM
Donahoe has a strict non-smoker policy

Tatonka
04-05-2004, 11:45 AM
Jeff Smoker QB Michigan St

Strengths
Jeff is a very good QB whose skills translate to the NFL very well. He is a leader and has earned the respect of his teammates and coaches. He has a good arm and moves well in the pocket. He is not afraid to make decisions on or off the field.

Needs to Improve
Jeff needs to continue his fight to define his worth as not just a football player, but as a productive human being whose value to his friends and loved ones is measured more by his actions off the field.

Bottom Line
I get a lot of e-mails that say I have a little different style to my profiles. At first, I didn’t understand what people were talking about. As I was formulating Jeff's profile, it hit me. I look at the business side of the draft. I have managed a business for years and my look at a player is not just talent, but also from the point of view of handing a physically talented kid millions of dollars over the life of a contract and how that might affect the play of that player on the field. This is the concern with Jeff. Lord knows he has the talent to play in the NFL. What round you take a player in does not affect how well he plays on the field. It affects one thing only -- how much money you are willing to invest in a player compared with his projected worth to a team as a starter or a backup. I don’t think there’s any question of Jeff's potential as a starter or possibly, impact player. Jeff has the talent to be a first day pick. He has talent equal to, or better than, Drew Brees. Jeff, to his credit, has come forward in a very public manner and addressed his problem. I have a tremendous amount of respect for that. Whether he is picked the first day or not will not be decided here. The NFL teams that check him out will decide that. In any other draft, he would be a player that teams would be drooling over. There are so many developmental QB’s in this draft that Jeff might get lost in the shuffle and not be selected until the second day. Some team is going to find themselves one hell of a QB. Be patient, Jeff, you will be rewarded on draft day with being one of only 300 players to be chosen to play in the NFL. That is an honor in itself no matter what round you are drafted.

http://thehuddlereport.com/2004DRAFT/profiles/JeffSmoker.htm

JEFF SMOKER MEASURABLES
Height: 6-3 Weight: 225
40-yard dash: 4.99 10-yard dash:
20-yard shuttle: 4.36 60-yard shuttle:
Broad jump: 8-5 225 lb. bench:
3-cone drill: 7.50 Vertical jump: 26
Wonderlic: 23 20-yard dash:

Player evaluation:
Jeff Smoker
QB, Michigan State
War Room analysis
Strengths: Has adequate-to-good arm strength and shows the ability to make almost all the necessary throws in the NFL. Has good size and sees the entire field. Shows the ability to beat the blitz and make the correct "hot' read. Is an intelligent quarterback who quickly adapted to a new offense his senior season and can be extremely efficient when he takes what the defense gives him. Stays poised in the pocket. Has good quickness. Is a better than average athlete for the position. Will buy some second chances with his feet. Has adequate speed. Has shown the ability to lead his team from behind. Has excellent starting experience and was extremely productive at the college level.

Weaknesses: Has had many off-the-field and character issues. Does not have any elite skills. Has adequate speed and athleticism, but is not much of a threat to run. Lacks elusiveness or acceleration when he tucks the ball and runs. Will take too many hits. Durability is somewhat of a concern. At times tries to make too much happen and will force the ball into coverage. Is a little bit rough around the edges when it comes to his footwork.

Bottom line: Smoker is probably a better player than his draft grade indicates because of some of the baggage that comes with him. If Smoker stays out of trouble and if he is given a chance to compete and develop, he could develop into a fine backup in the NFL, which makes him worth drafting somewhere in the middle of Day 2.

http://ultimate.sportingnews.com/nfl/draft/2004/players/4176.html
Dan Pompei analysis
Would be a higher-rated prospect if not for his well-documented substance-abuse issues. Is talented and came on strong in '03. Knows how to manage a game. Is a timing/touch passer. Lacks a huge arm, but it's strong enough. Is pretty accurate. Throws catchable balls. Reads defenses well. Moves pretty well.

Tatonka
04-05-2004, 11:46 AM
it is funny.. they strengths that those two list, both of which are reputable sources, contradict what PFW said...

The Spaz
04-05-2004, 11:50 AM
it is funny.. they strengths that those two list, both of which are reputable sources, contradict what PFW said...

Nobody has the exact same thoughts on a guy some people just liek players more than others.

The Spaz
04-05-2004, 11:53 AM
He is not afraid to make decisions on or off the field.

Obviously not....:rofl: J/K

Tatonka
04-05-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
Nobody has the exact same thoughts on a guy some people just liek players more than others.

yeah.. that is why the draft is always a crap shoot.. and as fans.. alot of our opinions on players come from what we read as well as what games we have seen... so it is easy to see how i could feel one way about a guy, being that i saw him play well in the 3 games that i saw him in.. and read the two bios that i listed.. and someone else could feel totally different.. having maybe only seen him once, or not at all.. and read the bio you listed.

Tatonka
04-05-2004, 12:11 PM
Obviously not....:rofl: J/K

i think he was referring to checking himself into rehab, jerky.

:tongue:

:snicker:

The Spaz
04-05-2004, 12:18 PM

i think he was referring to checking himself into rehab, jerky.

:tongue:

Are you sure I thought it was him contemplating downing a 40.:snicker: I hope you know I was joking before.:up:

DraftBoy
04-05-2004, 12:28 PM
You know Smoker's profile from The Sporting News sounds alot like Jim Kelly. Mobile but not enough to make a play out of it. Decent arm, Good decisions, throws catchable balls. The more I read about him the more I see how wrong I was about just focusing in on his personal problems, which i still see as there but also see that he may really be past it. Who knows but the kids got the talent and hes moving up on my board (so to speak).

Tatonka
04-05-2004, 02:15 PM
Are you sure I thought it was him contemplating downing a 40.:snicker: I hope you know I was joking before.:up:

:mad:

Originally posted by DraftBoy
You know Smoker's profile from The Sporting News sounds alot like Jim Kelly. Mobile but not enough to make a play out of it. Decent arm, Good decisions, throws catchable balls. The more I read about him the more I see how wrong I was about just focusing in on his personal problems, which i still see as there but also see that he may really be past it. Who knows but the kids got the talent and hes moving up on my board (so to speak).

good to hear.. apparently, he is moving up the bills board too.. as they were one of 7 teams that were at his workout a few weeks back and said something along the line of him looking great.. i remember someone posting a thread on that.. but i dont have a link.

Earthquake Enyart
04-05-2004, 02:23 PM
Does not have any elite skills.

I think this hit the nail on the head. He may be pretty smart and a good field general, but he doesn't have the physical tools like Navarre or Harris.

Ingtar33
04-05-2004, 02:34 PM
I've not seen anything to make me question his mechanics. His throwing motion is good enough, and seems to get it done for him.

I’ve also never seen anything from him to make me stand up and say "wow"

He's a little erratic, he tends to get tunnel vision, and he reacts poorly under pressure. If his decision making were quicker and better I’d agree with putting him into round two. Personally I think he’s a 2nd round pick on pure physical talent, and a 6th round pick on his football smarts. Take the difference and round 4 sounds good to me.

The Spaz
04-05-2004, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Ingtar33
I've not seen anything to make me question his mechanics. His throwing motion is good enough, and seems to get it done for him.

I’ve also never seen anything from him to make me stand up and say &quot;wow&quot;

He's a little erratic, he tends to get tunnel vision, and he reacts poorly under pressure. If his decision making were quicker and better I’d agree with putting him into round two. Personally I think he’s a 2nd round pick on pure physical talent, and a 6th round pick on his football smarts. Take the difference and round 4 sounds good to me.

Thanks for your analysis!:up::beer:

Ingtar33
04-05-2004, 02:38 PM
BTW: that little blurb was made not to improve the quality of debate, but to point out how everyone has a different opinion about these players.

My opinion is markedly different from those opinions. Now you see why team have scouting departments? It is so everyone can work through their opinion about certain players and reach a "better" evaluation than any one man could produce.

The Spaz
04-05-2004, 02:40 PM
Good point.

Earthquake Enyart
04-05-2004, 02:42 PM
Thanks for your analysis!:up::beer:

He said the same thing I said. :mad:

Dozerdog
04-05-2004, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
He's not wearing a stupid hat

The Spaz
04-05-2004, 02:54 PM

What?:idunno::snicker:

Tatonka
04-05-2004, 03:17 PM
I think this hit the nail on the head. He may be pretty smart and a good field general, but he doesn't have the physical tools like Navarre or Harris.

what physical talent does navarre have again? :scratch:

The Spaz
04-05-2004, 03:25 PM

As much as "Pig" Prather.

Tatonka
04-05-2004, 03:28 PM

The Spaz
04-05-2004, 03:29 PM

:evil::snicker:

Mr. Cynical
04-05-2004, 03:49 PM
Jeff Smoker QB Michigan St

Strengths
Jeff is a very good QB whose skills translate to the NFL very well. He is a leader and has earned the respect of his teammates and coaches. He has a good arm and moves well in the pocket. He is not afraid to make decisions on or off the field.

Needs to Improve
Jeff needs to continue his fight to define his worth as not just a football player, but as a productive human being whose value to his friends and loved ones is measured more by his actions off the field.

Bottom Line
I get a lot of e-mails that say I have a little different style to my profiles. At first, I didn’t understand what people were talking about. As I was formulating Jeff's profile, it hit me. I look at the business side of the draft. I have managed a business for years and my look at a player is not just talent, but also from the point of view of handing a physically talented kid millions of dollars over the life of a contract and how that might affect the play of that player on the field. This is the concern with Jeff. Lord knows he has the talent to play in the NFL. What round you take a player in does not affect how well he plays on the field. It affects one thing only -- how much money you are willing to invest in a player compared with his projected worth to a team as a starter or a backup. I don’t think there’s any question of Jeff's potential as a starter or possibly, impact player. Jeff has the talent to be a first day pick. He has talent equal to, or better than, Drew Brees. Jeff, to his credit, has come forward in a very public manner and addressed his problem. I have a tremendous amount of respect for that. Whether he is picked the first day or not will not be decided here. The NFL teams that check him out will decide that. In any other draft, he would be a player that teams would be drooling over. There are so many developmental QB’s in this draft that Jeff might get lost in the shuffle and not be selected until the second day. Some team is going to find themselves one hell of a QB. Be patient, Jeff, you will be rewarded on draft day with being one of only 300 players to be chosen to play in the NFL. That is an honor in itself no matter what round you are drafted.

http://thehuddlereport.com/2004DRAFT/profiles/JeffSmoker.htm

JEFF SMOKER MEASURABLES
Height: 6-3 Weight: 225
40-yard dash: 4.99 10-yard dash:
20-yard shuttle: 4.36 60-yard shuttle:
Broad jump: 8-5 225 lb. bench:
3-cone drill: 7.50 Vertical jump: 26
Wonderlic: 23 20-yard dash:

Player evaluation:
Jeff Smoker
QB, Michigan State
War Room analysis
Strengths: Has adequate-to-good arm strength and shows the ability to make almost all the necessary throws in the NFL. Has good size and sees the entire field. Shows the ability to beat the blitz and make the correct &quot;hot' read. Is an intelligent quarterback who quickly adapted to a new offense his senior season and can be extremely efficient when he takes what the defense gives him. Stays poised in the pocket. Has good quickness. Is a better than average athlete for the position. Will buy some second chances with his feet. Has adequate speed. Has shown the ability to lead his team from behind. Has excellent starting experience and was extremely productive at the college level.

Weaknesses: Has had many off-the-field and character issues. Does not have any elite skills. Has adequate speed and athleticism, but is not much of a threat to run. Lacks elusiveness or acceleration when he tucks the ball and runs. Will take too many hits. Durability is somewhat of a concern. At times tries to make too much happen and will force the ball into coverage. Is a little bit rough around the edges when it comes to his footwork.

Bottom line: Smoker is probably a better player than his draft grade indicates because of some of the baggage that comes with him. If Smoker stays out of trouble and if he is given a chance to compete and develop, he could develop into a fine backup in the NFL, which makes him worth drafting somewhere in the middle of Day 2.

http://ultimate.sportingnews.com/nfl/draft/2004/players/4176.html
Dan Pompei analysis
Would be a higher-rated prospect if not for his well-documented substance-abuse issues. Is talented and came on strong in '03. Knows how to manage a game. Is a timing/touch passer. Lacks a huge arm, but it's strong enough. Is pretty accurate. Throws catchable balls. Reads defenses well. Moves pretty well.

The first one I can't take seriously. (no offense) Too "touchy feely" for me. :love: ;)

As for the one from Ultimate Sporting News, it says he is basically a good #2:

"If Smoker stays out of trouble and if he is given a chance to compete and develop, he could develop into a fine backup in the NFL, which makes him worth drafting somewhere in the middle of Day 2."

So the way I'm reading all of this combined is that he could be a decent QB, although it would be a pretty big stretch to expect anything spectacular from him.

Earthquake Enyart
04-05-2004, 04:12 PM

Navarre is bigger and stronger, and has a stronger arm. He's not as quick afoot.

For the record, I was not a "Pig Prather" guy. :eek:

mchurchfie
04-05-2004, 04:33 PM
Yeah, but Ingtar is bonafide.:up:

mchurchfie
04-05-2004, 04:39 PM

For the record, I was not a "Pig Prather" guy. :eek: