• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

PFW on Jeff Smoker

(6-3 1/8 223, 4.9e) Michigan State

Notes: Started 3 games in 2000 and completed 103-of-197 passes for 1,365 yards, six touchdowns and seven interceptions. As the ful-time starter in '01, he was 166-262-2,579-21-9. Started the first seven games games in '02 before admitting to substance-abuse issues and missing the last five games. In seven games, he tossed 114-203-1,593-13-10. Returned to the team in sping '03 and regained the starting job by fall. Started 13 games and completed 302-488-3,395-21-14, completing 61.9 percent of his passes. Named secend-team All-Big Ten by both the coaches and the media.

Positives: Resilient and tough. Re-established himself as the starting quarterback. Adequate setup and foot quickness. Quick release. Good short-to-intermediate accuracy. Good snap and velocity. Better in '03 at going through progressions. Improved his pocket awareness but still lacks good feel for pressure and when to step up.

Negatives: Lacks poise and struggles with pressure in his face. Locks onto primary target. Shows some pocket awareness but lacks foot quickness to avoid the rush. Arm thrower who must learn to drive the ball using his legs. Deep balls float. Lacks accuracy on the move and is not a scrambler to create a play. Past issues with substance abuse are a concern. His accuracy was off at the Hula Bowl, and he struggled to drive the ball downfield at the Combine.

Summary: Tools to be a solid No. 2. Made tremendous strides in 2003 and has improved his draft status. Based on talent, he's a mid-to late-round pick, but character concerns has wiped him off many team's draft boards.

Jeff Smoker
  • kal123
    Maybe?
    • Oct 2003

Ouch. After reading this (if accurate) I don't want to go near him.

Comment

• Tatonka
      • Jul 2002

it is not necessarily accurate.. i can show you 3 other reports that are much much better than that.. and in some cases say the exact opposite of what that does...

reffering spefically to the not good under pressure and all that crap..
      "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• The Spaz
        • Mar 2003

Pro Football Weekly is well respected and been around for years. I'm not saying they're always correct but I put a lot more stock into them than all of the fan sites(Except for ours of course).

Comment

• ryjam282
          Offical Billszone Starting QB
          • Mar 2003

I have to agree. I didn't watch him all that much and after reading this, I am a bit skeptical. I mean, Arm thrower who must learn to drive the ball using his legs If he hasn't learned how to throw the ball properly yet then what is up with that? I don't know.......Stay away is my opinion, RIVERS IS STILL THE #1 here.

TRUCE

Ryan Withey
          Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• BigZ
            • Sep 2003

Lacks poise and struggles with pressure in his face. Locks onto primary target. Shows some pocket awareness but lacks foot quickness to avoid the rush.

Are we talking about Rob Johnson here?

Comment

• eyedog
              • Jul 2002

What qb doesn't struggle with pressure in his face ?????????

Comment

• ryjam282
                Offical Billszone Starting QB
                • Mar 2003

Kurt Warner didn't have much trouble at the beginning of his career. Then all the concussions took effect.

Ryan Withey
                Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• DraftBoy
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ryjam282
                  I have to agree. I didn't watch him all that much and after reading this, I am a bit skeptical. I mean, Arm thrower who must learn to drive the ball using his legs If he hasn't learned how to throw the ball properly yet then what is up with that? I don't know.......Stay away is my opinion, RIVERS IS STILL THE #1 here.

TRUCE
                  That can be taught by a solid QB coach which we have in Wyche. Rivers has worse mechanics than Smoker.
                  COMING SOON...
                  Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                  We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• ShadowHawk7
                    Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down.
                    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by kal123
                    Ouch. After reading this (if accurate) I don't want to go near
                    him.
                    Ugh, thats a pretty harsh report... But I don't know if it's all correct. I can see where you're coming from though.

Originally posted by Tatonka
                    it is not necessarily accurate.. i can show you 3 other reports that are much much better than that.. and in some cases say the exact opposite of what that does...

reffering spefically to the not good under pressure and all that crap..
                    Please do.
                    "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
                    -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• Ð
                      1-800-SAD-GOAT
                      • Jul 2002

Donahoe has a strict non-smoker policy

Comment

• Tatonka
                        • Jul 2002

Jeff Smoker QB Michigan St

Strengths
                        Jeff is a very good QB whose skills translate to the NFL very well. He is a leader and has earned the respect of his teammates and coaches. He has a good arm and moves well in the pocket. He is not afraid to make decisions on or off the field.

Needs to Improve
                        Jeff needs to continue his fight to define his worth as not just a football player, but as a productive human being whose value to his friends and loved ones is measured more by his actions off the field.

Bottom Line
                        I get a lot of e-mails that say I have a little different style to my profiles. At first, I didn’t understand what people were talking about. As I was formulating Jeff's profile, it hit me. I look at the business side of the draft. I have managed a business for years and my look at a player is not just talent, but also from the point of view of handing a physically talented kid millions of dollars over the life of a contract and how that might affect the play of that player on the field. This is the concern with Jeff. Lord knows he has the talent to play in the NFL. What round you take a player in does not affect how well he plays on the field. It affects one thing only -- how much money you are willing to invest in a player compared with his projected worth to a team as a starter or a backup. I don’t think there’s any question of Jeff's potential as a starter or possibly, impact player. Jeff has the talent to be a first day pick. He has talent equal to, or better than, Drew Brees. Jeff, to his credit, has come forward in a very public manner and addressed his problem. I have a tremendous amount of respect for that. Whether he is picked the first day or not will not be decided here. The NFL teams that check him out will decide that. In any other draft, he would be a player that teams would be drooling over. There are so many developmental QB’s in this draft that Jeff might get lost in the shuffle and not be selected until the second day. Some team is going to find themselves one hell of a QB. Be patient, Jeff, you will be rewarded on draft day with being one of only 300 players to be chosen to play in the NFL. That is an honor in itself no matter what round you are drafted.

JEFF SMOKER MEASURABLES
                        Height: 6-3 Weight: 225
                        40-yard dash: 4.99 10-yard dash:
                        20-yard shuttle: 4.36 60-yard shuttle:
                        Broad jump: 8-5 225 lb. bench:
                        3-cone drill: 7.50 Vertical jump: 26
                        Wonderlic: 23 20-yard dash:

Player evaluation:
                        Jeff Smoker
                        QB, Michigan State
                        War Room analysis
                        Strengths: Has adequate-to-good arm strength and shows the ability to make almost all the necessary throws in the NFL. Has good size and sees the entire field. Shows the ability to beat the blitz and make the correct "hot' read. Is an intelligent quarterback who quickly adapted to a new offense his senior season and can be extremely efficient when he takes what the defense gives him. Stays poised in the pocket. Has good quickness. Is a better than average athlete for the position. Will buy some second chances with his feet. Has adequate speed. Has shown the ability to lead his team from behind. Has excellent starting experience and was extremely productive at the college level.

Weaknesses: Has had many off-the-field and character issues. Does not have any elite skills. Has adequate speed and athleticism, but is not much of a threat to run. Lacks elusiveness or acceleration when he tucks the ball and runs. Will take too many hits. Durability is somewhat of a concern. At times tries to make too much happen and will force the ball into coverage. Is a little bit rough around the edges when it comes to his footwork.

Bottom line: Smoker is probably a better player than his draft grade indicates because of some of the baggage that comes with him. If Smoker stays out of trouble and if he is given a chance to compete and develop, he could develop into a fine backup in the NFL, which makes him worth drafting somewhere in the middle of Day 2.

Dan Pompei analysis
                        Would be a higher-rated prospect if not for his well-documented substance-abuse issues. Is talented and came on strong in '03. Knows how to manage a game. Is a timing/touch passer. Lacks a huge arm, but it's strong enough. Is pretty accurate. Throws catchable balls. Reads defenses well. Moves pretty well.
                        "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Tatonka
                          • Jul 2002

it is funny.. they strengths that those two list, both of which are reputable sources, contradict what PFW said...

Comment

• The Spaz
                            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Tatonka
                            it is funny.. they strengths that those two list, both of which are reputable sources, contradict what PFW said...
                            Nobody has the exact same thoughts on a guy some people just liek players more than others.

Comment

• The Spaz
                              • Mar 2003

He is not afraid to make decisions on or off the field.
                              Obviously not.... J/K

Comment

Working...
                              X