PDA

View Full Version : Clarett runs 4.6-plus 40-yard dash during workout

The Spaz
04-05-2004, 06:19 PM
Maurice Clarett ran, jumped, lifted weights and caught footballs for pro scouts on Monday. By and large, they came away impressed.

“Obviously he’s going to be a bellcow for somebody — he’s got that type of ability,” said former NFL fullback Tom Rathman, who represented the Detroit Lions. “It’s just a matter of him developing as a football player.”

Clarett had declined to work out at the NFL combine in February, so this was the first time scouts had seen the 20-year-old who could force his way into the draft later this month depending on the decision of an appeals court.

Clarett weighed 230 pounds, exactly his playing weight when he last took the field for the Buckeyes 15 months ago. He had times of 4.66, 4.63 and 4.67 seconds in his three 40-yard dashes, a standing long jump of 9 feet, 5 inches and a vertical jump of 36.5 inches. He lifted 225 pounds 19 times.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/index.cfm?headline_id=190451

OpIv37
04-05-2004, 06:28 PM
I'm glad we don't need an RB cuz I don't want any part of that. No football for 15 months and even then it was only HS- that's a huge leap to pro.

The Spaz
04-05-2004, 06:30 PM
He played one year in college for Ohio State but I get your point. I think he might be in the NFL for his first contract then after that he will be bounced around the league then eventually be tossed out on the street.

OpIv37
04-05-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
He played one year in college for Ohio State but I get your point. I think he might be in the NFL for his first contract then after that he will be bounced around the league then eventually be tossed out on the street.

exactly- he'll be someone's project, do nothing, end up a good deal for a back-up, then he'll be either in the unemployment line or filming car commercials for local dealerships.

DraftBoy
04-05-2004, 06:39 PM
4.6+ 40 time?? I thought he was faster that that. I think that he could be a decent RB in 3-4 years for some team, ala Thomas Jones.

elltrain22
04-05-2004, 06:39 PM
I still wouldn't want him on my team, can you say Lawrence Phillips part II?

mypoorfriendme
04-05-2004, 06:42 PM

im going to have to disagree. i wouldnt want him as a bill, but i think hell turn into atleast a decent starter within a few years so long as he can stay healthy. he produced in college playing the same guys that mcgahee did. sure he may be young, but people grow

The Spaz
04-05-2004, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by mypoorfriendme

im going to have to disagree. i wouldnt want him as a bill, but i think hell turn into atleast a decent starter within a few years so long as he can stay healthy. he produced in college playing the same guys that mcgahee did. sure he may be young, but people grow

He had 1 good year and it wasn't even a great year. This guy already has so many issues already just wait until he gets money then we'll really see his true side.

STAMPY
04-05-2004, 08:16 PM
Didn't Mike Williams leave early due to the Clarrett ruling... yet no body has issues with him. I'm confused about it. What's the difference. I'm not saying we need Clarrett as we're deep at rb spot. Just don't understand the whole hating on the guy, cause Mike Williams i thought did same thing which was not aloud in past. Correct me if i'm off

mypoorfriendme
04-05-2004, 08:17 PM
i dont think hes THAT bad of a guy. i mean, i know hes not perfect, but theres been a lot worse that still succeed in the nfl. i mean, look at ray lewis, he killed a guy. and his one "good year" was as true freshman, so id call that year pretty great

The Spaz
04-05-2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by BuffaloBillsSTAMPEDE
Didn't Mike Williams leave early due to the Clarrett ruling... yet no body has issues with him. I'm confused about it. What's the difference. I'm not saying we need Clarrett as we're deep at rb spot. Just don't understand the whole hating on the guy, cause Mike Williams i thought did same thing which was not aloud in past. Correct me if i'm off

Mike Williams hasn't has any legal issues as far as I know. Clarett has had a few.

mypoorfriendme
04-05-2004, 08:22 PM

basically it comes down to the nfl trying to hide the fact that mike williams IS mature and talented enough as a true sophomore to contribute in the nfl. not only does mike williams prove them wrong in that aspect, but the nfl was also wrong in thinking that there would be this flood of teenagers entering the draft. a few kids did it to get in the news and thats it. the nfl is trying to exploit clarrett because he is roughly a third round prospect with off the field problems..."see!! look at the kids who would prosper from this!!" instead of "yeah mike williams is one of the best prospects in the draft...but still!"

i hope you can make sense of that, when im really passionate about something i have trouble expressing it :madshake:

The Spaz
04-05-2004, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by mypoorfriendme

basically it comes down to the nfl trying to hide the fact that mike williams IS mature and talented enough as a true sophomore to contribute in the nfl. not only does mike williams prove them wrong in that aspect, but the nfl was also wrong in thinking that there would be this flood of teenagers entering the draft. a few kids did it to get in the news and thats it. the nfl is trying to exploit clarrett because he is roughly a third round prospect with off the field problems..."see!! look at the kids who would prosper from this!!" instead of "yeah mike williams is one of the best prospects in the draft...but still!"

i hope you can make sense of that, when im really passionate about something i have trouble expressing it

:rofl:

The Spaz
04-05-2004, 08:30 PM
http://espn.go.com/ncf/news/2003/0731/1587916.html

http://www.datelinealabama.com/article/2003/09/05/4580_sports_art.php3

http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=1624734

The Spaz
04-05-2004, 08:31 PM

Checkout the links above.

STAMPY
04-05-2004, 08:38 PM
Thx SPAZ :punk:

TKO
04-05-2004, 08:46 PM
Clarett, who looked to be in better shape than some skeptics had predicted, was clocked in the mid- to high-4.5s, according to the consensus of four scouts in attendance, all of whom spoke to ESPN.com. One of the four scouts said he timed the former Buckeyes star at 4.56. The other three had him in the 4.58-4.59 range. A fifth scout, not in the consensus group, got a high time of 4.62 in one of the three 40-yard sprints that Clarett performed.

In many draft classes, his times might be considered pedestrian, but the 2004 pool at the tailback position is hardly rife with sprinters. So, while not eye-opening, the times were certainly as good as, if not better in a few instances, than those of prospects considered as the top four tailbacks in the 2004 draft.

Those four tailbacks -- Steven Jackson (Oregon State), Kevin Jones (Virginia Tech), Chris Perry (Michigan) and Greg Jones (Florida State) -- all ran between 4.53-4.62. Kevin Jones' time was disappointing enough in his first "pro day" workout, that he convened a second audition.
According to Len Pasquarelli, his times were in the 4.5s (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft04/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1776078)

mypoorfriendme
04-05-2004, 08:51 PM
you beat me to it TKO, i was just about to share

The Spaz
04-05-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by TKO

According to Len Pasquarelli, his times were in the 4.5s (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft04/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1776078)

I don't know why NFL.com would have the wrong information.

mypoorfriendme
04-05-2004, 09:06 PM
its not necessarily wrong, they just talked to different people.

r_ruffolo
04-05-2004, 09:26 PM
Clarett will be great under some good coaching. I really hope he succeeds and makes everybody eat their words. Nobody writes negative stuff about the other soph. who left but Clarett gets ripped all the time.

All you naysayers were probably the same people who thought Miami would beat Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl. Keep doubting this kid and he will bite you in the a$$.

The Spaz
04-05-2004, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by r_ruffolo
Clarett will be great under some good coaching. I really hope he succeeds and makes everybody eat their words. Nobody writes negative stuff about the other soph. who left but Clarett gets ripped all the time.

All you naysayers were probably the same people who thought Miami would beat Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl. Keep doubting this kid and he will bite you in the a$$.

They're not doubting his ability it's his attitude it's well documented if you checked the links I provided on the first page of this thread.

BuffaloRanger
04-06-2004, 02:49 AM
The "negative" stuff written about him has to do with rule breaking, lying to investigators, getting suspended, and the resultant bad attitude.

ryjam282
04-06-2004, 07:50 AM

The kid is a ******. Clearly not ready for the riggors of the NFL. He couldn't even play a full season in college. He got hurt then, missed a few games cause of the shoulder injury. He is a good RB, I will give him that but in no way is he ready for the NFL yet. That other soph, as you put it, is clearly a top 5 pick and that is the only reason he came out. He wasn't going to challenge the rules to do it. When it became available, he did it. Clarett will get drafted and make a team but won't make any kind of impact whatsoever for at least 3 years....What does that translate to? If he stayed in college for the next 2 years and developed properly he too could possibly be a top 5 pick. The kid isn't very smart, he lied to the cops and had to get help on a Freshman college test....NOT VERY SMART.

DraftBoy
04-06-2004, 08:06 AM
Sportcenter reported he ran in the 4.6's also on his 3 40 attempts. just FYI

Tatonka
04-06-2004, 08:06 AM
He had 1 good year and it wasn't even a great year. This guy already has so many issues already just wait until he gets money then we'll really see his true side.

mcgahee only had one good year in college, and then didnt play for a year.. :scratch:

DraftBoy
04-06-2004, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka

mcgahee only had one good year in college, and then didnt play for a year.. :scratch:

McGahee though had been through a few seasons of college ball already and doesnt have the legal or attitude problems that Maurice brings. Plus he dominated college football on thr ground unlike Maurice Clarett who was stellar but not spectacular. But I see your point.

ryjam282
04-06-2004, 08:13 AM
Mcgahee had a GREAT year in college....He also was there for a few years as well. He did play the whole season and didn't have any school troubles. Didn't get kicked off the team and didn't lie to investigators either. McGahee is much more polished then Clarett and faster too.

EDS
04-06-2004, 08:30 AM
Clarett was a heck of a running back for Ohio State as a TRUE FRESHMAN! That is impressive considering it takes many running backs a year or two to develop on the college level, let alone get the opportunity to play. So he has talent. His head is another story.

Tatonka
04-06-2004, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by ryjam282
Mcgahee had a GREAT year in college....He also was there for a few years as well. He did play the whole season and didn't have any school troubles.

i think he missed the last few minutes of the fiesta bowl. :eek:

The Spaz
04-06-2004, 08:37 AM

McGahee had an excellent season going over 1700 yards and 28 TD's with a 6 yards average per carry.

The Spaz
04-06-2004, 08:38 AM

i think he missed the last few minutes of the fiesta bowl. :eek:

Ok so he missed part of a game?!

The Spaz
04-06-2004, 08:47 AM
Also McGahee sat our for a year because of injury Clarett sat out for being a mental midget.

ryjam282
04-06-2004, 08:55 AM
Clarett sat out for being a mental midget.

Not to mention a bum shoulder he had as well.....

r_ruffolo
04-06-2004, 01:44 PM
I'd rather take the RB that sat out while healthy, than one that sat out because of a devestating knee injury.

I will NEVER feel safe about his knee for the rest of his career. And he will NEVER be 100%.

DraftBoy
04-06-2004, 02:14 PM
I'd rather take the RB that sat out while healthy, than one that sat out because of a devestating knee injury.

I will NEVER feel safe about his knee for the rest of his career. And he will NEVER be 100%.

Give me a break with modern medicine the way it is today he wll be if not already back to 100% physically thats not to say he'll be there 100% mentally

Tatonka
04-06-2004, 02:17 PM
Ok so he missed part of a game?!

Also McGahee sat our for a year because of injury Clarett sat out for being a mental midget.

calm down killer.. i was just messing around.. i want WM to be as successfull as the next guy.

:snicker:

Tatonka
04-06-2004, 02:17 PM
kinda like smokers "off the field" decisions you metioned the other..

:tongue:

The Spaz
04-06-2004, 02:26 PM
kinda like smokers "off the field" decisions you metioned the other..

:tongue:

:biggrin:

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
04-06-2004, 04:08 PM
He might not be eligible for the draft if the NFL gets their way in the hearing and overturns the decision that the court ruled on that he could go into the draft. That means that Williams and other players that were eligible for the draft could be out also I hope the NFL overturns the decision. :bandwagon: :spank: