PDA

View Full Version : 2 first rounders

Tatonka
04-05-2004, 10:31 PM
i saw this idea posted by boykoman on another board... but was thinking about it.. and i like the idea alot..

what would you guys say if we pulled a baltimore and grabbed a guy like big ben and snagged a tommy harris or udeze/smith with the other first round.. and we did this by giving up next years first, among other things?

does anyone know what baltimore had to give up to grab boller last year? and what spot they picked up boller at? i think it was 19.

anyways.. with this draft being so deep.. i would absolutely feel ok about mortaging a future draft to have another first in this one.

thoughts?

:smoke:

Tatonka
04-05-2004, 10:32 PM
also, we could recoup that first rounder by trading henry IF wm turns out to be good... factor that in as well.

DraftBoy
04-05-2004, 10:36 PM
Agreed

willis_mchenry
04-05-2004, 10:40 PM
Baltimore did pick Kyle Boller at the 19 spot and I'd be in favor of doing the same.

Tatonka
04-05-2004, 10:47 PM
so baltimore took suggs at 10

then traded their 2nd rounder and 1st rounder this year for new englands number 19? is that right? or did they give up more?

TKO
04-05-2004, 10:48 PM
I like the idea, but I don't see Big Ben falling to us at #13 on draft day. Two first-rounders in this draft would be great though.

mypoorfriendme
04-05-2004, 10:50 PM
just about the ONLY reason im not for diong that, is because then this time next year im going to be pissed and wont be able to get excited about what stud were going to get with our first roudn pick

willis_mchenry
04-05-2004, 10:56 PM
Yeah they traded their 1st and 2nd rounders to New England

TKO
04-05-2004, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
so baltimore took suggs at 10

then traded their 2nd rounder and 1st rounder this year for new englands number 19? is that right? or did they give up more?
that's right

Without a doubt, Baltimore paid a hefty ransom to obtain New England's second first-round pick, the 19th overall selection. The Ravens handed the Patriots their second-round pick, No. 41 overall, and their No. 1 in 2004 for the privilege of taking the most intriguing passer in this year's draft. That's after Baltimore narrowly missed out on landing Marshall quarterback Byron Leftwich, who it had rated ahead of Boller.

BuffaloRanger
04-05-2004, 11:03 PM
Did they give up their 2nd last year and first this year for #19 overall? Or more?

Goobylal
04-05-2004, 11:23 PM
I thought of this as well, because I expect the Bills to recoup a 1st rounder when they trade Henry next year, and used the Ravens' trade with NE as well as the benchmark. This is the value chart I used: http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/6330687.

For the 19th overall pick (875 points) in last year's draft, the Ravens gave up their 2nd rounder that year (#41 overall, which is 490 points) and their 1st rounder this year, which at that time and going by subtraction was considered to have the value of 385 points (875-490), or approximately the 19th pick of the 2nd round, i.e. basically one round later than the pick they traded up for in the 1st.

Now say the Bills want to trade up into the 1st round, they'd need to give up at least their 2nd rounder, which is 43rd overall and worth 470 points, as well as a 1st rounder next year, which would have the value of a 2nd round pick at the same position as the 1st round pick they want to trade up to (a per the above example with the Ravens). To move up to 20th overall pick, which is the Dols' pick, it would cost the Bills' those 2 picks. For the 19th overall it would be those picks plus their 2-7th rounders. To move higher it would cost more picks and/or higher additional picks. Since the Dols don't have a 2nd rounder, I doubt they do that trade, and I doubt the Bills want to give a division rival a 1st rounder for a draft pick anyway, and the same goes for trading with the Pats at #21. Actually I doubt any team outside of the Pats would trade their 1st away since no one but them have 2-1st rounders, but you never know. I doubt it happens in any case. We'll just have to settle for whatever TD does with what he has this year, and enjoy the 2-1st rounders next year.