PDA

View Full Version : Had Peca never been traded...

Ebenezer
04-05-2004, 11:10 PM
I really wonder what would have happened if Darcy had listened to some fans a few years back and not traded Michael Peca. The options back then were to let Peca sit (either forever or until he signed for the Sabres price) or trade him away. After spending way too much time trying to figure out what to do, DR traded Peca for Tiny Tim Connolly and Taylor "Pretty Boy" Pyatt. If DR had let Peca sit I am betting that the Sabres would be in the playoffs on Wednesday and the Isles would be sitting at home. Think about it. Peca, either on the Sabres roster, still sitting at home or traded out west, would not have been around to help the NYI get some heart. Meanwhile, Pyatt and Connolly wouldn't have been here spending the payroll and not contributing; possibly even hurting the NYI chances of making the playoffs.

For this offense alone DR should be fired. Trading Peca helped the team that beat us out for the playoffs.

Dozerdog
04-05-2004, 11:11 PM
They should have traded Peca... to Calgary for Igilnia ....maybe sweetened the pot with Max Afinegenov or someone else.

fushetti
04-05-2004, 11:35 PM
come on Eb, u don't think the Peca for Connolly and Pyatt was an even trade?

the further it gets from that trade, the more i dislike Peca... I think it had to do with how he got so jackoffish when it came to his negotiations....using phrases like "the dialogue between the two parties was not reaching agreement" yeah, but i'd prefer him to these two bums. did anyone miss connolly this year? I forgot Pyatt was even out. Mike Milbury should win an award for that one.

Ebenezer
04-05-2004, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by fushetti
come on Eb, u don't think the Peca for Connolly and Pyatt was an even trade?

the further it gets from that trade, the more i dislike Peca... I think it had to do with how he got so jackoffish when it came to his negotiations....using phrases like "the dialogue between the two parties was not reaching agreement" yeah, but i'd prefer him to these two bums. did anyone miss connolly this year? I forgot Pyatt was even out. Mike Milbury should win an award for that one.

If I had been GM Peca would never have played hockey again until I said so...and then he would have went out west.

Dozerdog
04-06-2004, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
If I had been GM Peca would never have played hockey again until I said so...and then he would have went out west.

Then it clouds every other negotiation you will ever have. Look at the Comrie situation. Being stubborn just hurts your club. if he's not happy- get him out. sitting on the asset does nothing.

Granted- the trade didn't work out. But trust me Millbury has been on the receiving end of a lot more bad deals then on this end.

Earthquake Enyart
04-06-2004, 06:17 AM
They should have traded Peca for Chara. :mad:

Patrick76777
04-06-2004, 08:10 AM
You guys remember that Rigas was the owner back then???

I don't think this would have happened under Golisono!

fushetti
04-06-2004, 08:47 AM
eh, whatever. we're being cynical sabres fans now. Peca's gone.. the next coming of Gretzky (Connolly) and Kurri (Pyatt) are here. Lets celebrate them.

pyrrhonist
04-06-2004, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by fushetti
eh, whatever. we're being cynical sabres fans now. Peca's gone.. the next coming of Gretzky (Connolly) and Kurri (Pyatt) are here. Lets celebrate them.

:chuckle: :chuckle:

Thanks to this post, fushetti, I spit water all over my desk here at work!

mchurchfie
04-06-2004, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
I really wonder what would have happened if Darcy had listened to some fans a few years back and not traded Michael Peca. The options back then were to let Peca sit (either forever or until he signed for the Sabres price) or trade him away. After spending way too much time trying to figure out what to do, DR traded Peca for Tiny Tim Connolly and Taylor "Pretty Boy" Pyatt. If DR had let Peca sit I am betting that the Sabres would be in the playoffs on Wednesday and the Isles would be sitting at home. Think about it. Peca, either on the Sabres roster, still sitting at home or traded out west, would not have been around to help the NYI get some heart. Meanwhile, Pyatt and Connolly wouldn't have been here spending the payroll and not contributing; possibly even hurting the NYI chances of making the playoffs.

For this offense alone DR should be fired. Trading Peca helped the team that beat us out for the playoffs.

:bf1:Couldn't agree more.:up:

mchurchfie
04-06-2004, 10:31 AM
When they traded Peca they traded the heart and soul of our team. I know it came down to seeing who would blink first between Peca and Regier\Rigas but you have to admire a man who sat out a whole year and lost 3-4 million dollars to fight for what appeared to be mainly, the principle of it all. That was what Peca was all about, he was true to himself and a great warrior for Buffalo while he played. I would trade to get him back for those two tards we ended up with in a heartbeat. I remember the playoff series when he shadowed Ray Bourque the whole time and put him on his ass at every opportunity. That was the first time i ever saw Bourque so tired and befuddled in his whole career and it was what helped us to win the series because it sucked the wind out of their team seeing their leader getting tossed around like a rag doll. Or how about the semifinals against Toronto when Domi was running around being his usual obnoxious self and Peca stepped out of the box just in time to smoke his ass as he was going by? Regier was an ******* for getting rid of him and should have been fired for the whole fiasco that went on surrounding it. I would take Peca back in a heartbeat, he is a special player.

mchurchfie
04-06-2004, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
They should have traded Peca for Chara. :mad:
Agreed.:mad:

SABuffalo786
04-06-2004, 10:35 PM
Yeah, yeah, yeah. If "No Goal" never happened, if D-Day failed, if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle, etc.... Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Ebenezer
04-06-2004, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by SABuffalo786
Yeah, yeah, yeah. If "No Goal" never happened, if D-Day failed, if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle, etc.... Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

you completely missed the point.

mchurchfie
04-06-2004, 11:11 PM
About Peca or about his sig sucking up half the bandwidth on the internet?:D

Ebenezer
04-06-2004, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Church
About Peca or about his sig sucking up half the bandwidth on the internet?:D

I'm in stealth...I don't see any sigs.

Dozerdog
04-06-2004, 11:17 PM
How long ago was this?

And we are still complaining?

mchurchfie
04-06-2004, 11:17 PM
Its a good thing...I wore out two scroll mouses just getting beyond it.:D

SABuffalo786
04-07-2004, 08:37 AM
HA!

mchurchfie
04-07-2004, 09:25 AM
HA!:naughty:

Ebenezer
04-07-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
And we are still complaining?

...and some of us will until DR is fired and Connolly and Pyatt are gone for the roster...worst trade in team history.

mchurchfie
04-07-2004, 10:37 AM
:up: Don't forget Lindy too.

Ebenezer
04-07-2004, 11:14 AM
:up: Don't forget Lindy too.

I can't blame Lindy...sorry...he is working with what he has...the project may suck but you do the best you can.

mchurchfie
04-07-2004, 11:19 AM
Sorry, but that doesn't justify the bad handling of the goalie situation, the constant line juggling, and the fact that the only time this team plays like worldbeaters is at the end of the year when it is too late.:idunno: Bye bye Ruff.:church:

Ebenezer
04-07-2004, 11:24 AM
Sorry, but that doesn't justify the bad handling of the goalie situation, the constant line juggling, and the fact that the only time this team plays like worldbeaters is at the end of the year when it is too late.:idunno: Bye bye Ruff.:church:

Every coach juggles lines...hell, Bowman used to break up the French connection every third night and then put them back together...very few lines are together for years any more.

What is he suppose to do with the goaltending situation?? Imo, he doesn't have a number 1 to work with.

mchurchfie
04-07-2004, 11:38 AM
IMO they screwed up by not bringing in a halfway proven vet goalie to push or backup Marty. Regier put too many of his eggs in a basket by relying on his prospect goalies. They ALL (Marty included) need an experienced NHL goalie to learn from. Marty learned behind Hasek for years but we all know that his brand of goaltending was unorthodox and wasn't the most textbook goalie to learn sound goalie technique from. It also kills me how they threw all of our young goalies into the fire but barely gave players like Roy and Bartovic (spelling) a chance to play and kept them repressed in Rochester. Only after the injury bug started happening were a lot of these young players given a chance to come up and show that they could do as good a job or better than the slugs like Curtis Brown, Pyatt, etc that were inhabiting the roster and barely earning their paychecks. To me that is very bad judgement of talent on their behalf.:cynic:

Ebenezer
04-07-2004, 11:39 AM
I don't disagree at all...that is why I can't blame Ruff.

mchurchfie
04-07-2004, 11:45 AM
I'm sure that Ruff was making the main calls on who should and should not be in the lineup...rest assured that it was a mutual effort. Bye bye Lindy.:church:

JefftheBillsfan
04-10-2004, 10:24 PM
in all fairness, at the time, this seemed to me at least as a legit deal.

Fat Tony
04-10-2004, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by JefftheBillsfan
in all fairness, at the time, this seemed to me at least as a legit deal.

All trade detractors look like geniuses with 20/20 hindsight.