• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

Had Peca never been traded...

I really wonder what would have happened if Darcy had listened to some fans a few years back and not traded Michael Peca. The options back then were to let Peca sit (either forever or until he signed for the Sabres price) or trade him away. After spending way too much time trying to figure out what to do, DR traded Peca for Tiny Tim Connolly and Taylor "Pretty Boy" Pyatt. If DR had let Peca sit I am betting that the Sabres would be in the playoffs on Wednesday and the Isles would be sitting at home. Think about it. Peca, either on the Sabres roster, still sitting at home or traded out west, would not have been around to help the NYI get some heart. Meanwhile, Pyatt and Connolly wouldn't have been here spending the payroll and not contributing; possibly even hurting the NYI chances of making the playoffs.

For this offense alone DR should be fired. Trading Peca helped the team that beat us out for the playoffs.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.
  • Dozerdog
    In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

They should have traded Peca... to Calgary for Igilnia ....maybe sweetened the pot with Max Afinegenov or someone else.

Comment

• fushetti
      President of the Rick Jeanneret Fanclub
      • Feb 2003

come on Eb, u don't think the Peca for Connolly and Pyatt was an even trade?

the further it gets from that trade, the more i dislike Peca... I think it had to do with how he got so jackoffish when it came to his negotiations....using phrases like "the dialogue between the two parties was not reaching agreement" yeah, but i'd prefer him to these two bums. did anyone miss connolly this year? I forgot Pyatt was even out. Mike Milbury should win an award for that one.
      "And I do have a wish, albeit one that cannot and will not be fulfilled. I wish... I wish that standing next to me right now, would be Ted Darling."
      Rick Jeanneret 4-14-96

Ted Darling "Voice of the Sabres"

Comment

• Ebenezer
        Give me a minute...
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by fushetti
        come on Eb, u don't think the Peca for Connolly and Pyatt was an even trade?

the further it gets from that trade, the more i dislike Peca... I think it had to do with how he got so jackoffish when it came to his negotiations....using phrases like "the dialogue between the two parties was not reaching agreement" yeah, but i'd prefer him to these two bums. did anyone miss connolly this year? I forgot Pyatt was even out. Mike Milbury should win an award for that one.
        If I had been GM Peca would never have played hockey again until I said so...and then he would have went out west.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Dozerdog
          In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ebenezer
          If I had been GM Peca would never have played hockey again until I said so...and then he would have went out west.
          Then it clouds every other negotiation you will ever have. Look at the Comrie situation. Being stubborn just hurts your club. if he's not happy- get him out. sitting on the asset does nothing.

Granted- the trade didn't work out. But trust me Millbury has been on the receiving end of a lot more bad deals then on this end.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
            Legendary Zoner
            • Jul 2002

They should have traded Peca for Chara.

Comment

• Patrick76777
              • Jul 2002

You guys remember that Rigas was the owner back then???

I don't think this would have happened under Golisono!
              Resign our own guys!

Comment

• fushetti
                President of the Rick Jeanneret Fanclub
                • Feb 2003

eh, whatever. we're being cynical sabres fans now. Peca's gone.. the next coming of Gretzky (Connolly) and Kurri (Pyatt) are here. Lets celebrate them.
                "And I do have a wish, albeit one that cannot and will not be fulfilled. I wish... I wish that standing next to me right now, would be Ted Darling."
                Rick Jeanneret 4-14-96

Ted Darling "Voice of the Sabres"

Comment

• pyrrhonist
                  • Sep 2003

Originally posted by fushetti
                  eh, whatever. we're being cynical sabres fans now. Peca's gone.. the next coming of Gretzky (Connolly) and Kurri (Pyatt) are here. Lets celebrate them.

Thanks to this post, fushetti, I spit water all over my desk here at work!

Comment

• Church
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ebenezer
                    I really wonder what would have happened if Darcy had listened to some fans a few years back and not traded Michael Peca. The options back then were to let Peca sit (either forever or until he signed for the Sabres price) or trade him away. After spending way too much time trying to figure out what to do, DR traded Peca for Tiny Tim Connolly and Taylor "Pretty Boy" Pyatt. If DR had let Peca sit I am betting that the Sabres would be in the playoffs on Wednesday and the Isles would be sitting at home. Think about it. Peca, either on the Sabres roster, still sitting at home or traded out west, would not have been around to help the NYI get some heart. Meanwhile, Pyatt and Connolly wouldn't have been here spending the payroll and not contributing; possibly even hurting the NYI chances of making the playoffs.

For this offense alone DR should be fired. Trading Peca helped the team that beat us out for the playoffs.
                    Couldn't agree more.
                    My Band
                    daveviterna.com

Comment

• Church
                      • Jul 2002

When they traded Peca they traded the heart and soul of our team. I know it came down to seeing who would blink first between Peca and Regier\Rigas but you have to admire a man who sat out a whole year and lost 3-4 million dollars to fight for what appeared to be mainly, the principle of it all. That was what Peca was all about, he was true to himself and a great warrior for Buffalo while he played. I would trade to get him back for those two tards we ended up with in a heartbeat. I remember the playoff series when he shadowed Ray Bourque the whole time and put him on his ass at every opportunity. That was the first time i ever saw Bourque so tired and befuddled in his whole career and it was what helped us to win the series because it sucked the wind out of their team seeing their leader getting tossed around like a rag doll. Or how about the semifinals against Toronto when Domi was running around being his usual obnoxious self and Peca stepped out of the box just in time to smoke his ass as he was going by? Regier was an ******* for getting rid of him and should have been fired for the whole fiasco that went on surrounding it. I would take Peca back in a heartbeat, he is a special player.
                      My Band
                      daveviterna.com

Comment

• Church
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
                        They should have traded Peca for Chara.
                        Agreed.
                        My Band
                        daveviterna.com

Comment

• SABuffalo786
                          • Feb 2003

Yeah, yeah, yeah. If "No Goal" never happened, if D-Day failed, if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle, etc.... Woulda, coulda, shoulda.
                          "Do me a favor, say a prayer for brother Timmy. And tip a cold one. Go Bills." - Tom Brokaw

We are the Rockpile
                          We are the Rockpile
                          We are the Rockpile
                          BUFF-A-LO

Comment

• Ebenezer
                            Give me a minute...
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by SABuffalo786
                            Yeah, yeah, yeah. If "No Goal" never happened, if D-Day failed, if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle, etc.... Woulda, coulda, shoulda.
                            you completely missed the point.

Comment

• Church
                              • Jul 2002

About Peca or about his sig sucking up half the bandwidth on the internet?
                              My Band
                              daveviterna.com

Comment

Working...
                              X