PDA

View Full Version : Sabres claim to lose $10 mil on season

Ebenezer
04-07-2004, 07:47 AM
I actually believe this. Tom Galisano during the season ending press conference said that he will lose $10 mil on the Sabres for the 2003-4 season and that he will lose less next year.

This morning on WGR radio Paul Hamilton said that teams did not take their cut of the national TV contract because that money was put in the war chest for the pending lock out---Amount $1mil.

Paul Hamilton also said that the Sabres (as all American-based teams) pay $3.5 mil annually into the Canadian-Team Relief Plan.

Are we to infer that the Sabres actually only "lost" $5.5 million? If that is true I would say the team is actually making progress and with some smarter marketing and better roster could get close to "breaking even".

lordofgun
04-07-2004, 12:04 PM
Dang canadian teams need to fold if they can't stay in business by themselves. :mad:

Ebenezer
04-07-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun
Dang canadian teams need to fold if they can't stay in business by themselves. :mad:

Yeah, a team losing money has to shell out more money to prop up Canadian teams...some of which are making money and/or owned by Americans.

Ð
04-07-2004, 01:00 PM
I agree that there should be no subsidy of Canadian-based teams.

Also, I think there should be no government money in arenas/stadiums for professional sports.

Ebenezer
04-07-2004, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Ð
I agree that there should be no subsidy of Canadian-based teams.

Also, I think there should be no government money in arenas/stadiums for professional sports.

I agree...but until that day I would like Buffalo to get their fair share from New York state.

Earthquake Enyart
04-07-2004, 01:34 PM
On Empire, Golisano said that he will lose less money if there is a lockout than he would if they play. :couch:

Ð
04-07-2004, 01:55 PM
Get your world cup tickets (at tremendously marked up prices) here :D

Ebenezer
04-07-2004, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
On Empire, Golisano said that he will lose less money if there is a lockout than he would if they play. :couch:

That is what I don't understand...according to DR the players still have to be tendered contracts, go to arbitration, etc. until 9/15 because that is when the contract is up. However, the latest I have heard is that Sabres are only have to pay out $13 mil in salaries next year for the guys under contract. If they have to sign guys, go through arbitration, etc then more players will be added to the payroll...if they cancel games that cuts the revenue source...how would he be able to save money?? If there is a lockout are they not responsible for any contract or are they going to lock the players out sooner?

Earthquake Enyart
04-07-2004, 02:24 PM
Hockey contracts aren't guaranteed. They wouldn't have to pay the players if there is a lockout.

Ð
04-07-2004, 03:14 PM
They get paid their salary divided by the number of regular season games, I believe on a monthly basis.

SkateZilla
04-07-2004, 05:31 PM
CBA Wont be renewed till 2006,

Honestly Look how long it took the NHL to Do half the Things... You Really think that same board is gonna sit down and re-do a Substanially large Bargaining Contract over the next 3 or 4 months??

It took them 2 months to review and apologize then Nullify the crease rule in 1999 :p

hurls
04-08-2004, 05:28 PM
well, you gotta figure 5 mil to Satan alone. :rofl:

Dannyboy
04-18-2004, 01:14 AM
Yeah, get the Canadian teams out and there won't be anymore booing during the USA National Anthem. What an embarrassing act to be identified with. Is it the French Canadians that have a problem because of their close ties with France (attitude, and language) or is it a whole of Canada thing? Funny thing is, the way Canada is fracturing governmentally, there isn't going to be a “Whole Canada.”

Ð
04-18-2004, 01:01 PM
Tell me more about this "fracturing governmentally" thing.

(this should be interesting)