PDA

View Full Version : Please NFL, do NOT keep Mike Williams out of the draft....

Michael82
04-07-2004, 02:36 PM
I'm serious. I really hope that the NFL loses a stay in the appeals court or doesn't get a ruling until after the draft, so that BOTH Mike Williams and Maurice Clarrett are able to go into the draft. This is the best thing for Buffalo, because it enables WR Mike Williams to either fall to Buffalo, OR push a receiver like Roy or Reggie Williams down to Buffalo...also, it could just push another big name player to Buffalo, because someone wants a receiver like Mike Williams and takes him over the other big name player. So, I'm asking right now...please NFL gods, do not let this ruling get decided before the NFL draft, and do not let the NFL stop Mike Williams from entering the draft. Thank you!

- After the draft, then I want a new rule made that will bar kids who haven't been in college for at least 2 years from joining the draft.

DraftBoy
04-07-2004, 02:47 PM
hypocrite

lordofgun
04-07-2004, 02:50 PM
The good news is that the judge has said he will rule immediately, and not delay the decision until after the draft.

Devin
04-07-2004, 02:58 PM
lol, while I agree with Mikeys reasoning, I kinda hope he rules against them.

helmetguy
04-07-2004, 03:16 PM
The Judge will probably uphold the lower court ruling. If the NFL is serious about enforcing a minimum age requirement, they'll have to do so in a way that includes specific qualifications. As it is, the "Three-Year Rule," is not part of the CBA, just a memorandum that the NFLPA agrees to BECAUSE of a stipulation in the CBA. The "Rule" also specifies that "three college football seasons" must have been completed between the candidates' high school graduation and draft eligibilty. It's not clear if a "three NFL season" time frame would make any difference in the ruling. The last part of the Clarett Ruling deals with the fact that the age requirement is not a Labor Law exemption to Anti-Trust Law. That is, since it does not deal with wage, hours, or compensation, it is not exempted from Sherman or Clayton Act challenge.

BTW, Larry Fitzgerald would still have been allowed into the draft if the Clarett challenge had not been affirmed, since Fitzgerald did complete one season of junior college before going to Pitt-the three "college football seasons" requirement having been met. The NFL held off onaddressing his eligibility until the Clarett casr was heard, so that Clarett could not use the Fitzgerald situation as an arguement.

Michael82
04-07-2004, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun
The good news is that the judge has said he will rule immediately, and not delay the decision until after the draft.

So, what are you hoping for?