PDA

View Full Version : Chargers, Giants discuss trade for No. 1 draft pick

The Spaz
04-07-2004, 08:17 PM
The New York Giants, known to covet Mississippi quarterback Eli Manning, have spoken with the San Diego Chargers about obtaining the first pick in the NFL draft on April 24.

Chargers general manager A.J. Smith confirmed he got a call from Giants GM Ernie Accorsi on Tuesday.

``They would like to move from four to one,'' Smith said on Wednesday.

Smith wouldn't discuss specifics.

``Anything we discuss is football business between the two of us,'' Smith said.

San Diego was 4-12 last year, the same record as Oakland, Arizona and the Giants. But the Chargers got the No. 1 draft pick based on strength of schedule.

The Chargers worked out Manning and the other two highly regarded quarterbacks in the draft, Ben Roethlisberger and Philip Rivers.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-chargers-giants-draft&prov=ap&type=lgns

Bert102176
04-07-2004, 08:56 PM
Like I have said if Manning is picked #1 it won't be by the Chargers

RedEyE
04-07-2004, 09:00 PM
So where does that leave Rothlisberger? Do the Chargers pick him up at #4 over all, or does he fall as far as #11?

juice
04-07-2004, 09:07 PM
Chargers take Rivers #4?

TedMock
04-07-2004, 09:16 PM
Being on the east coast in the mid-atlantic region, the Chargers were rarely, if ever, televised here. Are they really willing to give up on Brees that fast? Did he suck that bad? I've looked at his stats but I would never judge an athlete that way without watching a few games first. I think that shows ignorance and complete lack of knowledge about the game. From what I gather, the Chargers need a lot of help. Brees is young and if they can gather a bunch of picks they should. If anybody here had regularly watched San Diego games because of being on the west coast or via the NFL package, please give me your input. I'm really curious to see how Brees looked now.

STAMPY
04-07-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by juice
Chargers take Rivers #4?

if that happens hell freezes over. wanna make a lil bet JUICE. i bet big ben gets drafted before rivers. if i win i'll give you 1000 zonebucks. if you lose you only give me 500. There is no chance in hell rivers gets drafted that early. i'd be furious if ben is on board and the less talented rivers is chosen

Mr. Cynical
04-07-2004, 11:49 PM
I think San Diego still has to be gun shy about using another #1 on a QB after Leaf. On the other hand, they also have to be thinking about losing Vick.

My gut says they trade it if they can get something nice in addition to the #4. That way they can probably get Ben and another good player as well to offset the risk a bit.

SoCalBillsFan
04-07-2004, 11:53 PM
Ted, I had no choice but to watch a few charger games :D Honestly, I didn't think Brees was bad. He made mistakes, and he wasn't "good," but the offensive line was terrible and aside from boston, who we all know had issues, he didn't have crap to throw to. If I were the chargers, I wouldn't give up on him yet.

That being said, he doesn't have the ceiling manning or Big Ben have, so I wouldn't blame them for taking one of those guys.

kardshark19
04-08-2004, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by BuffaloBillsSTAMPEDE

if that happens hell freezes over. wanna make a lil bet JUICE. i bet big ben gets drafted before rivers. if i win i'll give you 1000 zonebucks. if you lose you only give me 500. There is no chance in hell rivers gets drafted that early. i'd be furious if ben is on board and the less talented rivers is chosen

Hey Stampy...I'll take that bet. Looks like either way you turn it, I come out on top. Sounds like a no-brainer. :biggrin:

SoCalBillsFan
04-08-2004, 12:04 AM
:lol:

yeah, ill take that bet too!

kardshark19
04-08-2004, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by SoCalBillsFan
:lol:

yeah, ill take that bet too!

SoCal...shhh! Maybe he won't notice. We'll split the pot. :snicker:

STAMPY
04-08-2004, 12:16 AM
nooooooooo you know what i meant!!! If Ben goes first i win. If Rivers goes first you win

kardshark19
04-08-2004, 12:20 AM
:lolpoint: STAMPEDE

STAMPY
04-08-2004, 12:25 AM
well u gunna take the bet now? 1000 vs 500

kardshark19
04-08-2004, 12:42 AM
No...I don't think there's a chance that Rivers will go ahead of Ben. Just wanted to fool around wit you. :rofl: Good luck finding takers!

Devin
04-08-2004, 08:12 AM
Many teams like Rivers because of his maturity, he will likely be ready to play far before Ben/Eli will...at least at a respectable level.

justasportsfan
04-08-2004, 08:37 AM
ESPN Reports:

"Oh sheeet! F#ck hell no!!!! SOB!!!!WTF? "

Manning quoted after finding out that there would be a possibility that he would be playing for Gilbride.

elltrain22
04-08-2004, 08:56 AM
The Chargers are crazy to be shopping thier #1 pick again.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-08-2004, 09:16 AM
In my crystal ball I see SD trading down with NY. Then I see them trading down again with Pittsburgh. They will obtain some good picks and possibly a nice player. They will then be able to draft the QB they want, Rivers.

Voltron
04-08-2004, 09:52 AM
I totally agree Ted! :up: When brees had some decent WR play he was able to do well. Also lets not forget that while many claim Portis to be the best back in the NFL right now I would beg to differ and say that LT is better that Portis. The sad thing is that the Chargers were also spent into cap hell and have 2 QBs making too much money. If they get themselves a decent WR out of the second round and give Brees a few good lineman he could flurish with such a good running game. I don't think Brees is horrible. I think he just had a slump which can be attributed to a lack of good line play and only one decent WR (who was a head case). If they offered him up for a trade to us for a 2nd or 3rd round pick, I would seriously think about it. :idunno:

Originally posted by TedMock
Being on the east coast in the mid-atlantic region, the Chargers were rarely, if ever, televised here. Are they really willing to give up on Brees that fast? Did he suck that bad? I've looked at his stats but I would never judge an athlete that way without watching a few games first. I think that shows ignorance and complete lack of knowledge about the game. From what I gather, the Chargers need a lot of help. Brees is young and if they can gather a bunch of picks they should. If anybody here had regularly watched San Diego games because of being on the west coast or via the NFL package, please give me your input. I'm really curious to see how Brees looked now.

Voltron
04-08-2004, 10:02 AM
One thing that is a big knock against him is that he is only 6 ft tall. Too short for the size of the linemen in the NFL now adays. I take back the trade talk :D

The_Philster
04-08-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
ESPN Reports:

"Oh sheeet! F#ck hell no!!!! SOB!!!!WTF? "

Manning quoted after finding out that there would be a possibility that he would be playing for Gilbride.

:rofl: Can you blame him?

juice
04-08-2004, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by BuffaloBillsSTAMPEDE

I heard the Chargers want Rivers, I think they will end up with him.