X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

Chargers, Giants discuss trade for No. 1 draft pick

The New York Giants, known to covet Mississippi quarterback Eli Manning, have spoken with the San Diego Chargers about obtaining the first pick in the NFL draft on April 24.

Chargers general manager A.J. Smith confirmed he got a call from Giants GM Ernie Accorsi on Tuesday.

``They would like to move from four to one,'' Smith said on Wednesday.

Smith wouldn't discuss specifics.

``Anything we discuss is football business between the two of us,'' Smith said.

San Diego was 4-12 last year, the same record as Oakland, Arizona and the Giants. But the Chargers got the No. 1 draft pick based on strength of schedule.

The Chargers worked out Manning and the other two highly regarded quarterbacks in the draft, Ben Roethlisberger and Philip Rivers.

• Bert102176
    • Aug 2002

Like I have said if Manning is picked #1 it won't be by the Chargers
    lets go BUFFALO lets go BUFFALO

Comment

• RedEyE
      • Jul 2002

So where does that leave Rothlisberger? Do the Chargers pick him up at #4 over all, or does he fall as far as #11?

Comment

• juice
        • Aug 2003

Chargers take Rivers #4?

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76

Comment

• TedMock
          • Jul 2002

Being on the east coast in the mid-atlantic region, the Chargers were rarely, if ever, televised here. Are they really willing to give up on Brees that fast? Did he suck that bad? I've looked at his stats but I would never judge an athlete that way without watching a few games first. I think that shows ignorance and complete lack of knowledge about the game. From what I gather, the Chargers need a lot of help. Brees is young and if they can gather a bunch of picks they should. If anybody here had regularly watched San Diego games because of being on the west coast or via the NFL package, please give me your input. I'm really curious to see how Brees looked now.

Comment

• BuffaloBillsSTAMPEDE
            Hall of Fame Zoner
            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by juice
            Chargers take Rivers #4?
            if that happens hell freezes over. wanna make a lil bet JUICE. i bet big ben gets drafted before rivers. if i win i'll give you 1000 zonebucks. if you lose you only give me 500. There is no chance in hell rivers gets drafted that early. i'd be furious if ben is on board and the less talented rivers is chosen

Comment

• kal123
              Maybe?
              • Oct 2003

I think San Diego still has to be gun shy about using another #1 on a QB after Leaf. On the other hand, they also have to be thinking about losing Vick.

My gut says they trade it if they can get something nice in addition to the #4. That way they can probably get Ben and another good player as well to offset the risk a bit.

Comment

• SoCalBillsFan
                Expert on Experts
                • Jul 2002

Ted, I had no choice but to watch a few charger games Honestly, I didn't think Brees was bad. He made mistakes, and he wasn't "good," but the offensive line was terrible and aside from boston, who we all know had issues, he didn't have crap to throw to. If I were the chargers, I wouldn't give up on him yet.

That being said, he doesn't have the ceiling manning or Big Ben have, so I wouldn't blame them for taking one of those guys.

Comment

• kardshark19
                  I will splash the pot whenever the hell I want!
                  • Aug 2002

Originally posted by BuffaloBillsSTAMPEDE

if that happens hell freezes over. wanna make a lil bet JUICE. i bet big ben gets drafted before rivers. if i win i'll give you 1000 zonebucks. if you lose you only give me 500. There is no chance in hell rivers gets drafted that early. i'd be furious if ben is on board and the less talented rivers is chosen
                  Hey Stampy...I'll take that bet. Looks like either way you turn it, I come out on top. Sounds like a no-brainer.
                  If you don't like your job, you don't strike; you just go in every day and do it really half assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

"In the poker game of life, women are the rake. They are the f**kin' rake."

Comment

• SoCalBillsFan
                    Expert on Experts
                    • Jul 2002

yeah, ill take that bet too!

Comment

• kardshark19
                      • Aug 2002

Originally posted by SoCalBillsFan

yeah, ill take that bet too!
                      SoCal...shhh! Maybe he won't notice. We'll split the pot.
                      If you don't like your job, you don't strike; you just go in every day and do it really half assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Comment

• BuffaloBillsSTAMPEDE
                        Hall of Fame Zoner
                        • Sep 2003

nooooooooo you know what i meant!!! If Ben goes first i win. If Rivers goes first you win

Comment

• kardshark19
                          • Aug 2002

STAMPEDE

Comment

• BuffaloBillsSTAMPEDE
                            Hall of Fame Zoner
                            • Sep 2003

well u gunna take the bet now? 1000 vs 500

Comment

• kardshark19
                              • Aug 2002

No...I don't think there's a chance that Rivers will go ahead of Ben. Just wanted to fool around wit you. Good luck finding takers!

Comment

Working...
                              X