X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

Bills Areas of Importance For Draft

There were far fewer holes to fill this offseason in comparison to 2003, and with the acquisition of guard Chris Villarrial and cornerback Troy Vincent, two more holes have been effectively plugged. That leaves the Bills with the option of zeroing in on a position or two, and seeking help in the Draft April 24 and 25.

However, using the word ‘need’ when talking about possible directions the Bills could take in this year’s NFL draft is tricky because Buffalo’s top personnel men, GM Tom Donahoe and Assistant GM Tom Modrak have openly shared their philosophy of taking the best player on the board. Proof of that approach came in the form of Willis McGahee in last year’s draft.

“We’re more interested in what the value of the player is,” said Donahoe, “and where is the player a good pick, and that’s the way we stack our board. Some guys are going to go earlier than where we have them graded, and some guys are going to go later, but that’s the nature of what you do when you evaluate the players.” For Buffalo’s brass however, need at some point is a factor, so Bills Digest has put together a rundown of the team’s more pressing need areas. We also assess when those needs might be addressed, and what prospect might be available for Buffalo at that time.

• Jan Reimers
    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
    • May 2003

I hope value and need come together this year. While Willis should end up being a great pick, I would like to see us get a guy or two early in this draft who can contribute right away. Except, of course, if we go for a QB of the future in the 1st or 2nd round, there probably wouldn't be an immediate impact.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• ryjam282
      Offical Billszone Starting QB
      • Mar 2003

Lee Evans would be ideal for that pick in the 2nd round.

Ryan Withey
      Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• kal123
        Maybe?
        • Oct 2003

My take on their needs:

#1: QB
        #2: WR
        #3: DE
        #4: C

Comment

• Jan Reimers
          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
          • May 2003

Originally posted by ryjam282
          Lee Evans would be ideal for that pick in the 2nd round.
          I agree. He's a speed burner whose only real question mark is durability.
          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Tatonka
            • Jul 2002

yeah.. because it is so important to have a really fast #4 receiver when we are a run first, smash mouth offense.. if we draft a receiver in the first.. i will bet you right now.. he wont break 400 yards... mark it down..
            "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• The Spaz
              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Tatonka
              yeah.. because it is so important to have a really fast #4 receiver when we are a run first, smash mouth offense.. if we draft a receiver in the first.. i will bet you right now.. he wont break 400 yards... mark it down..
              Mike Mularkey must be stupid then because he and Moulds have said thay they want another speed receiver.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                short bus extraordinaire
                • Jul 2002

we need to address the offense.
                Originally posted by yordad
                Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• kal123
                  Maybe?
                  • Oct 2003

Originally posted by SABURZFAN
                  we need to address the offense.
                  The Official Understatement of the Year.

Comment

Working...
                  X