PDA

View Full Version : Question

Valerie
04-08-2004, 11:14 AM
They talk about getting "home ice" during the playoffs. I thought since it's a seven game series, the teams playing each other play in both places? I understand home field in football, but that's just one game. In hockey do they really play all seven games in one team's city? And, if they don't what are they talking about with "home ice?"

:feedback:

Dozerdog
04-08-2004, 11:17 AM
They play 7 games, 4 in one city, 3 in another The team with 4 games has home ice advantage

(Alternating 2 in one city-2 in another-then 1- 1-1)

Valerie
04-08-2004, 11:20 AM
Okay. Got it. Thanks, Dozer! :peck:

Ð
04-08-2004, 12:37 PM
The team with home ice also gets game 7 at home (if necessary).

Valerie
04-08-2004, 12:54 PM
Thanks, Doug. The Leafs have home ice for the playoffs, right?

Also, on ESPN, when they start showing a playoff series, do they follow those teams through the entire series or will they flip around so we get to see a few games from all the playoff series?

Last night I watched the Red Wings and the Predators and I was hoping that tonight I would get the Leafs and the Seantors.:pray:

Ð
04-08-2004, 01:07 PM
They have home ice for the playoffs if they play Ottawa, New Jersey, Montreal or the Islanders.

If they move on to a round with Tampa or Boston those two teams have a better record than the Leafs, so they would have home ice.

I'm not sure @ Philly though. They got third place in the East because they won their division, but Toronto has more points (and wins) than they do.

lordofgun
04-08-2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Ð
They have home ice for the playoffs if they play Ottawa, New Jersey, Montreal or the Islanders.

If they move on to a round with Tampa or Boston those two teams have a better record than the Leafs, so they would have home ice.

I'm not sure @ Philly though. They got third place in the East because they won their division, but Toronto has more points (and wins) than they do.

I'm pretty sure division champ gets home ice no matter the record unless it's against another division champ.

Ð
04-08-2004, 02:04 PM
You're probably right...that's why they rank them third, ahead of the Leafs

hurls
04-08-2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Valerie
They talk about getting "home ice" during the playoffs. I thought since it's a seven game series, the teams playing each other play in both places? I understand home field in football, but that's just one game. In hockey do they really play all seven games in one team's city? And, if they don't what are they talking about with "home ice?"

:feedback:

Must be a Leaf fan, not used to playing many games in a series
J/k

:beer:

realmendontwearteal
04-08-2004, 09:58 PM
tonights scores

ott 4 tor 2
nj 2 phi 3
nyi 0 tb 3
blues 0 shark tank 0 end of 1st

Valerie
04-09-2004, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by slruh Must be a Leaf fan, not used to playing many games in a series
J/k

:beer:
Yupper, that's me, a Leaf fan. :)

Boy, they really blew it last night. They scored in the first period and then decided to stop playing the remaining two. They better get their act together. It stinks that they lost at home too!:down:

qcsabresfan84
04-09-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Valerie

Yupper, that's me, a Leaf fan. :)

Boy, they really blew it last night. They scored in the first period and then decided to stop playing the remaining two. They better get their act together. It stinks that they lost at home too!:down:

Did you see Hossa's second goal? It was amazing.

Ð
04-09-2004, 11:21 AM
(Referee) Marc Joannette tried to take the game away with hero/phantom calls on both sides.

That Chris Phillips "high sticking" in the second was the worse call I've ever seen an NHL ref make.

Valerie
04-09-2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by qcsabresfan84 Did you see Hossa's second goal? It was amazing.
No. :( I didn't get ANY hockey games last night!!!! Not a one!:mad:

My brother, who lives in California, now gets the CBC and he is able to watch the Leaf games and Hockey Night in Canada. But here in Maryland, I don't get squat! :(

McGahee's Nation
04-09-2004, 04:31 PM
Like Basketball Home Ice for Hockey really doesn't matter much. The better team will succeed in a 7 game series. On a sour note it's hard to get into the playoffs with no Sabres and Coyotes in the playoffs. I guess i go for the Leafs. Ohh by the way lets go Candiens. Question for anyone what do Sabres tickets run for? Hockey is still brillant.

hurls
04-09-2004, 09:43 PM
Sabres tickets run from $84-89 (best seats), to 22-34(upper bowl), or somewhere in that range. Best to find deals, like friday night games, Pizza Hut runs a good special.

realmendontwearteal
04-09-2004, 10:23 PM
hossa s breakway goal was tight.....i thought eddie the eagle would knock the puck away from hossa

SkateZilla
04-10-2004, 08:17 AM
Alot People Say It Makes No Difference..

But Look at it this way,

last Year New Jersey and Anaheim.. 2 Differnt Type Strategies..

NJ Uses Defense TRAP to Score... Anahiem uses Offense To Score..

Anaheim has A harder Ice Surface... Allowing For faster Speed Thru the Neutral Zone and What Not.. and Quick Crisp Passing..

New Jersey Has a Softer Ice Surface... to Slow The Speedy Offensive Teams Down a Little.. Softer Ice Also Causes more Puck Bounces...

(YES ICE SURFACE HARDESS DOES MATTER.., I've Skated on Both.. )

NHL Does Have Regulations But the Rule Still Allows LeeWay on the Ice ...

HSBC has a Middle to harder Surface.. They Should Make it HARDer.. Giving that We Play Trap Teams Alow and we have Some Fast Forwards.