PDA

View Full Version : Bills have Wilson excited

The_Philster
04-09-2004, 08:05 AM
By MARK GAUGHAN, Buffalo News
Buffalo Bills owner Ralph C. Wilson Jr. has completely recovered from the hangover of the team's disappointing 6-10 finish in 2003.
"I'm like the fellow we had years ago from the Raiders, the linebacker, Phil Villapiano," Wilson said. "His motto was, "Let's get excited.' He used to put that on tape over everybody's locker. I'm like Phil. I'm excited about this year."

The Bills have had two positive additions through free agency - cornerback Troy Vincent and guard Chris Villarrial. They also have the 13th pick in the draft this month. But what boosts Wilson's spirits the most is the philosophical changes in strategy and tactics that his new coaching staff could offer. ...
more (http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20040409/1055131.asp)

Novacane
04-09-2004, 08:10 AM
..................."That's why we went with Mike," he said. "We interviewed some very good coaches from other teams who I think we could have gotten. But they were on defense. That's why we went with Mike. He's an offensive guy.

:scratch: earth to Ralph..........Weiss = "offensive guy"

Fossil= "offensive guy"

What he meant to say is they went with the only offenxive guy that thought there was still hope for Bledsoe.

Tatonka
04-09-2004, 08:11 AM
i think he should hold off on his optimism until the draft is over to see if we actually draft well..

address the oline, qb, and dline TD.. dont go for the media hype with wrs and tes...

The_Philster
04-09-2004, 08:14 AM
:shakeno: with the conspiracy theories.
Weiss was still coaching in the playoffs and maybe Fassel just didn't fit the bill. :idunno: Besides, Mularkey did fix a Gilbride screwup in the past so maybe TD is gambling he'll do it again.

Novacane
04-09-2004, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka
i think he should hold off on his optimism until the draft is over to see if we actually draft well..

Really! I don't get this statement

"Our talent level has improved. "

How does he figure that. At best we have come out even in FA compared to what we have lost.

Novacane
04-09-2004, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by The_Philster
Weiss was still coaching in the playoffs and maybe Fassel just didn't fit the bill. :idunno: Besides, Mularkey did fix a Gilbride screwup in the past so maybe TD is gambling he'll do it again.

There is no conspiracty theory. Did you even read the quote? He made it sound like it was Mularky was the only offensive coach interviewed.:rolleyes:

Tatonka
04-09-2004, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green

How does he figure that. At best we have come out even in FA compared to what we have lost.

yeah.. i was wondering about that.. actually we have lost talent in FAs.. as we have no back up TE or FB... and we swapped out the two main positions.. CB and Gaurd.

but i got the impression that he is saying we are instantly more talented based on coaching alone, which is a good possibility.

The_Philster
04-09-2004, 08:20 AM

I have to agree with you there. As far as coaching, yes, we've improved..only because it'd be next to impossible to have a staff that bad again. But going by player acquisitions and losses, we've lost out.
Lost AVP...no replacement as of yet
Lost Winfield...got Vincent...slight upgrade based on play-making ability
Lost Brown..got Villariel..about even
Lost Gash...got Shelton...a downgrade until I see more
Lost Morris...gained McGahee...no way of knowing how that'll turn out
Lost Moore...no replacement as of yet

The_Philster
04-09-2004, 08:22 AM
There is no conspiracty theory. Did you even read the quote? He made it sound like it was Mularky was the only offensive coach interviewed.:rolleyes:
and you made it sound like Bledsoe was the one who decided who would be here... I find it hard to believe that was the case.

Novacane
04-09-2004, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka

but i got the impression that he is saying we are instantly more talented based on coaching alone, which is a good possibility.

I remember Ralph and TD saying the same thing when GW and his wrecking crew were brought in. I like Mularky and don't see how he could be worse than GW but I'm not as optimistic as Ralph.

Novacane
04-09-2004, 08:26 AM

and you made it sound like Bledsoe was the one who decided who would be here... I find it hard to believe that was the case.

I doubt Drew had any say in who was hired. What I am sayin is TD had his mind made up Bledsoe was getting another chance. Any coach that raised doubts about Drew in his interview was not getting this job. Anyone that thinks differant is just plain wrong IMO.

Novacane
04-09-2004, 08:28 AM
"We interviewed some very good coaches from other teams who I think we could have gotten. But they were on defense.

I guess according to Ralph, Weiss and Fossil are not good coach's? :scratch:

The_Philster
04-09-2004, 08:30 AM
I think TD sees us as being a team that's very close to contention for a title...and starting over at the QB position will only set us back. Like it or not, no QB wins without help. With the proper help, Drew can become a Super Bowl winning QB. Mark Rypien and Trent Dilfer did it. Drew just needs to play smarter like they did.

Mr. Miyagi
04-09-2004, 08:39 AM
Lost AVP...no replacement as of yet
Lost Winfield...got Vincent...slight upgrade based on play-making ability
Lost Brown..got Villariel..about even
Lost Gash...got Shelton...a downgrade until I see more
Lost Morris...gained McGahee...no way of knowing how that'll turn out
Lost Moore...no replacement as of yet
Lost AVP...Bring in Kordell and draft for the future would be an upgrade
Lost Winfield...got Vincent...25%-50% upgrade IMO
Lost Brown..got Villariel..even money I agree
Lost Gash...got Shelton...don't know why we didn't keep Gash (has he signed somewhere yet?)
Lost Morris...gained McGahee...Morris was more a ST guy than a backup RB. McGahee doesn't replace him
Lost Moore...average TEs are a dime a dozen.

Novacane
04-09-2004, 08:41 AM
I think TD sees us as being a team that's very close to contention for a title...and starting over at the QB position will only set us back..

I agree that is what he thinks. that is why I don't think he was going to hire any coach that did not believe in Bledsoe.

The Spaz
04-09-2004, 08:44 AM
I found this more interesting:

"Our talent level has improved. Tom Donahoe and Tom Modrak, they're top talent people. They work hard. We have a good scouting system. We have to draft right. Now you don't draft the best guy on the board. You have three guys who are closely bunched, you have to pick position. It's different than it used to be because of the system we're in."

Novacane
04-09-2004, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by The Spaz
I found this more interesting:

Now you don't draft the best guy on the board. You have three guys who are closely bunched, you have to pick position.

That is not what we did last year.

cordog
04-09-2004, 08:57 AM
That is not what we did last year.

who would you have rather picked ?

ryjam282
04-09-2004, 09:07 AM

TD gamble? Why on earth would that man do that???:shades:

Novacane
04-09-2004, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by cordog

who would you have rather picked ?

I would have picked Mcgahee too. Just making the point that TD did not do what Ralph said teams should do. I doubt he will this year either.

The_Philster
04-09-2004, 09:22 AM
I doubt he will this year either.

I hope you're wrong. I don't want to see us pick up a player just because he's the best on the board when we have other needs.

The Spaz
04-09-2004, 09:23 AM

I hope you're wrong. I don't want to see us pick up a player just because he's the best on the board when we have other needs.

If Robert Gallery fell to us would you take him. It won't happen but I sure would.

cordog
04-09-2004, 09:24 AM

I dont have a problem with picking the best player available. I would rather take a guy that is rated high , than fill a position with somebody who is rated lower and might end up being a bust.

The_Philster
04-09-2004, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by The Spaz
If Robert Gallery fell to us would you take him. It won't happen but I sure would.

possibly...we could start him or Marcus Price at LT, move Jennings to C and get rid of Teague
Originally posted by cordog
I dont have a problem with picking the best player available. I would rather take a guy that is rated high , than fill a position with somebody who is rated lower and might end up being a bust.
I'm not saying to make a reach...but why waste precious draft picks on players who won't do anything for us?

justasportsfan
04-09-2004, 09:33 AM
Wilson sounds like he just discovered viagara after 8 years.

Tatonka
04-09-2004, 09:34 AM
I doubt Drew had any say in who was hired. What I am sayin is TD had his mind made up Bledsoe was getting another chance. Any coach that raised doubts about Drew in his interview was not getting this job. Anyone that thinks differant is just plain wrong IMO.

i agree completely.

"We interviewed some very good coaches from other teams who I think we could have gotten. But they were on defense.

I guess according to Ralph, Weiss and Fossil are not good coach's? :scratch:

weiss and fossil would NOT have kept bledsoe.

chernobylwraiths
04-09-2004, 09:39 AM
I almost forgot what this thread was about reading all of these posts. What's wrong with Ralph being excited about the comming season? Maybe he saw the offensive philosophy of the coaches they interviewed and didn't think their style would help the team. Mularkey wanted to go smashmouth while it looks as if Fassel and Weiss like to put the game in the QBs hands. Isn't everyone here excited about the comming season? Regardless of who they draft, they will be hyped as the second comming of the best player at their position.

As for the additions the Bills have made and the subtractions, I only see Winfield as the only big loss and his absence has been offset by a better playmaker in Vincent. IMO, Brown's loss is almost addition by subtraction. He was vastly overrated and took way too many false start and holding penalties to be considered a pro bowl guard. These are qualities that Villarrial lacks which IMO makes him better than who he will be replacing. Losing AVP, Moore, and Morris is only losing depth and special teams, that shouldn't hurt and losing Gash who I liked won't make any difference in this team since he barely played last year.

I for one can't wait for training camp to start (not that it happens in mid summer and will be nice and hot has anything to do with it :) ).