PDA

View Full Version : Williams re-signs with Oakland

Demon
04-09-2004, 01:03 PM
Williams to re-sign with Raiders

By Leo Roth
Staff writer

(April 9, 2004) — Tight end Roland Williams wanted to wear the red, white and blue. He’ll happily settle for donning the silver and black again.
After the Buffalo Bills told him they would not consider offering him a contract until after the NFL draft later this month, Williams jumped at the chance to re-sign with the Oakland Raiders, agreeing to terms late Thursday for a three-year contract.

”I’ve always been a fan of the hometown team and I’m sorry they couldn’t step up and get me there,” said Williams, the popular East High and Syracuse University product. “I’d have loved to finish my career at home. But to all the Bills fans out there, tell them I’ll see them next season.”

Buffalo plays at Oakland this fall.

Williams, 28, helped the St. Louis Rams to the 1999 Super Bowl championship and helped the Raiders reach the 2002 Super Bowl. He was released by Oakland last August after serious knee and toe surgeries slowed him down but after recovering fully, signed with ex-Raiders coach Jon Gruden in Tampa Bay in November.

Williams weighed a good offer from the Buccaneers but Raiders owner Al Davis, a Syracuse grad, persuaded him to rejoin Oakland and new coach Norv Turner. The Raiders crashed to 4-12 last year and used three tight ends: O.J. Santiago, Doug Jolley and rookie Teyo Johnson.

”I left Oakland because I was banged up, but I’m back and I want to bring fire back to the organization,” said Williams, a fearsome blocker who has 111 career catches and 13 TDs.

Williams, who will host his fifth annual football and life skills camp for kids June 24-28 in Rochester, also thanked the dozens of fans who sent him well wishes, most hoping he’d sign with the Bills.

LROTH@DemocratandChronicle.com

I wish we had signed this guy. He's local, a good blocker and has good hands so in the right offense, he might be better then what he has been in Oakland.