PDA

View Full Version : Rivers or Rothlisberger

schobelisdaman
04-09-2004, 04:24 PM
If both are available........who would you take. Rothlisberger has the workout numbers.. Rivers has the experience.

Devin
04-09-2004, 04:36 PM
well for a running team, with the possibility of a starter needed this season or next Rivers. His short/midfield game is unmatched.

Ben is more mobile and has a strong arm...tough call really.

For me Rivers.

juice
04-09-2004, 04:45 PM
Give me the Big Kid with the Cannon.. You cant coach size and armstrength.

I'd play Rivers year #1 every chance I got.

chernobylwraiths
04-09-2004, 05:06 PM
Big Ben.

toughluck
04-09-2004, 05:14 PM
Going on the fact that we are probably going to need a QB within a year or two, Rivers

ryjam282
04-09-2004, 06:01 PM
Rivers...He will be a star.

mypoorfriendme
04-09-2004, 06:10 PM
i like rivers more, but im giong to have to say ben simply because he is regaurded by most one of the top 3 players in the draft, while rivers is usually around 10 or so. ben is quick, mobile, smart, and has a CANNON for an arm and throws wonderfully off the run and out of the pocket. reminds me a lot of daunte culpepper whereas rivers is more of a tom brady.

schobelisdaman
04-09-2004, 06:15 PM
Thats why Rivers would be better for this team earlier....comparing Big Ben to Daunte Culpepper makes sense(more mistakes earlier).....for a team that is going to be set up to run, avoiding mistakes is key....thats why Rivers would give us the most stability the quickest.......even though both will probably be good NFL starting quarterbacks.

mypoorfriendme
04-09-2004, 06:39 PM
the truth of the matter is...half of the first rounders will probably be busts and i gurentee you atleast one of the top three qb's will be

STAMPY
04-09-2004, 06:51 PM
you guys need to pass me that crack your smoking Rivers isn't in BIG BEN'S league!!!

My answer is Big Ben nuff said... stronger arm, better release, and can ran better. Ben Nuff Said

mypoorfriendme
04-09-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by BuffaloBillsSTAMPEDE
you guys need to pass me that crack your smoking Rivers isn't in BIG BEN'S league!!!

My answer is Big Ben nuff said... stronger arm, better release, and can ran better. Ben Nuff Said

i pretty much agree. remember in the beginning of the offseason everyone thouht rivers was a second rounder at best. he has improved his draft stock a ton, but people kind of feed off of eachother too much and now he has more hype than he deserves. i am the original rivers fan, but still i dont think he deserves the 13th overall ESPECIALLY if its over roethlesburger

STAMPY
04-09-2004, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by mypoorfriendme
i pretty much agree. remember in the beginning of the offseason everyone thouht rivers was a second rounder at best. he has improved his draft stock a ton, but people kind of feed off of eachother too much and now he has more hype than he deserves. i am the original rivers fan, but still i dont think he deserves the 13th overall ESPECIALLY if its over roethlesburger
:bf1:

Big Ben... BELIEVE THE HYPE:hail:

Tatonka
04-09-2004, 07:05 PM
i like rivers better.. as a fan..

i would pick big ben if i was TD.

mypoorfriendme
04-09-2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
i like rivers better.. as a fan..

i would pick big ben if i was TD.

THATS what i was trying to say

juice
04-09-2004, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by juice
Give me the Big Kid with the Cannon.. You cant coach size and armstrength.

I'd play Rivers year #1 every chance I got.

You'd have to take the Better athlete.

HAMMER
04-09-2004, 08:57 PM
Athletic ability is important, arm strength too, but intangibles win games at the QB position. Decision making, leadership, poise, and the will to win, those are what count most. I have never seen Rivers play, I have seen Ben, impressive!

A lot of people who's opinion I respect in regard to football all seem to really like Rivers and his intangibles, that's good enough for me. Take the guy that is most ready to start, nobody will be able to take another season like last from Bledsoe.

JefftheBillsfan
04-09-2004, 09:48 PM
ben hands down.

juice
04-09-2004, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by HAMMER
Athletic ability is important, arm strength too, but intangibles win games at the QB position. Decision making, leadership, poise, and the will to win, those are what count most. I have never seen Rivers play, I have seen Ben, impressive!

A lot of people who's opinion I respect in regard to football all seem to really like Rivers and his intangibles, that's good enough for me. Take the guy that is most ready to start, nobody will be able to take another season like last from Bledsoe.

If those intangibles dont pan out I'd rather error on the side of the Big kid with the cannon.

Mr. Cynical
04-09-2004, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by HAMMER
Athletic ability is important, arm strength too, but intangibles win games at the QB position. Decision making, leadership, poise, and the will to win, those are what count most.

Agreed. *See Ryan Leaf.

Devin
04-10-2004, 02:30 AM
yup. Both I think will be stars, Rivers is just the smarter more instinctive QB.

hemi13
04-10-2004, 06:46 AM
Big Ben will be the bust in this years class of QB's. I see another Ryan Leaf in him. Rivers is the man, the next superstar. I hope he become the 13th pick in this years draft.

BillsRockSOMUCH
04-10-2004, 09:12 AM
Ben, no question. This is the best QB in the draft. He can do it all.

thefixer74
04-10-2004, 01:09 PM
Big Ben Clip (http://www.draftshowcase.com/BenRoethlisberger.wmv)

I like both but Ben is ahead IMHO.

NC-BILLS44
04-10-2004, 05:03 PM
Rivers is a winner. Period!! And against much tougher teams. Ben may be bigger and more mobile, but Rivers is smarter and has a quicker release. I think Rivers is more ready to play right now than Ben. Ben is impressive, but I'm not sure if he's ready for the speed of the pro level and he may rely on his athletic ability too much. Rivers has great pocket presents (sp) and doesn't make mistakes when the game is on the line.

RIVERS, RIVERS, RIVERS, RIVERS, RIVERS, RIVERS!!!!!

gonzo1105
04-10-2004, 09:09 PM
When are people gonna learn that you dont need great great physical ability to be a QB. A QB is more of a mental position where you have to know what to do all the time at every second. Yes Ben is greatly gifted but he has been playing QB for 5 years he doesn't know everything about the position leading me to say that out of all the QB's he is the biggest risk. Rivers though unorthodox knows everything about the QB position and has showed confidence in pressure situations. He may not have the upside that Roethlisberger has but if I was a GM and had to choose between the two if i was looking for the safe pick your damn right i'm choosing RIVERS!!!

JefftheBillsfan
04-10-2004, 10:00 PM
I dont think some of you guys are being fair comparing intangibles with Ben and Rivers. No rookie QB is a "sure thing" like you are all making Rivers out to be. I highly doubt he "knows everything" about the QB position. He has shown good poise through college, but that doesn't guarentee that he will bring the Joe Montana charisma to an organization his first year. Then you guys all make it seem like Ben is just talent, and doesn't know how to play the game. He has improved his field vision each of his years in college, and has the ability to break down defenses. I don't have a problem if you say that Rivers will be better, he very well may be, but to say a well-rounded athlete like Ben will be the next Ryan Leaf...

gonzo1105
04-10-2004, 11:51 PM
Not saying Rivers knows everything not even Montana knew everything ........Look at guy like Rob Johnson and Jeff George etc....all the great gift big time arm could run but then you have guys like Delhomme and i'll even go on a limb and say McCown who are not physically gifted like the other two but will be successful because of their head and how they learned the QB position over the years

JefftheBillsfan
04-11-2004, 08:55 AM
All I'm saying is just because Rivers has that gameday presense about him, but Ben certainly isnt a slouch in that area either. Just because he has talent does not mean he can't manage a football game. I think Ben has just enough chance to be the next Rich Gannon (in his prime) as Rivers has to be the next Brady.

Dozerdog
04-11-2004, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by hemi13
Big Ben will be the bust in this years class of QB's. I see another Ryan Leaf in him. Rivers is the man, the next superstar. I hope he become the 13th pick in this years draft.

What makes you say that?

Leaf was a major PITA in college, and had attitude problems his entire life.

What in god's name has Big Ben shown that makes him comparable to Ryan Leaf in any respect?

justasportsfan
04-11-2004, 09:50 AM
I think Sam Wyche could prepare Ben to start after a year.

ShadowHawk7
04-11-2004, 10:01 AM
While Rivers would be ready to start sooner than Ben, just Ben drawing comparisons to John Elway, makes me want him baaad. Ben all the way!

BillsRockSOMUCH
04-11-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by ShadowHawk7
While Rivers would be ready to start sooner than Ben, just Ben drawing comparisons to John Elway, makes me want him baaad. Ben all the way!

Exactly

TypicalBill
04-11-2004, 03:42 PM
Big Ben no doubt, he's gonna turn into a superstar. He has all the intangibles (spe?) + leadership.

Shiny Chicken
04-11-2004, 05:46 PM
If Ingtar loves Big Ben, I'll take his word on it.

TigerJ
04-11-2004, 06:20 PM
Ben: easy choice!

juice
04-11-2004, 07:02 PM
If both are gone by 13 we should trade down...

The Spaz
04-11-2004, 07:07 PM
Big Ben no doubt.

Novacane
04-11-2004, 07:16 PM
BR but I don't think you could go wrong with Rivers either.......................I think this year will be the exception. No busts this year. All three of the top QB's will turn into good NFL players.

Dozerdog
04-11-2004, 07:36 PM
Whomever is left

elltrain22
04-11-2004, 08:58 PM
Tough question, but I would choose Rivers... But I also really like big ben

gonzo1105
04-11-2004, 09:05 PM
I really do like Big Ben but Rivers I think Rivers is the best choice for this team. Roethlisbergers learning curve is bigger and he might take more then 1 year to be ready......Rivers could start as soon as mid way through the year. Ben would be a better choice for someone like the Chargers who are gonna stink anyways for awhile