PDA

View Full Version : Draft Dish: Raiders and Redskins ready for draft-day dealing

Novacane
04-10-2004, 06:40 PM
Peter King on WGR55 earlier this week was talking about a rumor the Redskins are trying to work a trade sending Chris Samuels and the #5 pick to Oakland for the #2 pick because the skins want Gallery.

Now I heard John clayton on ESPN radio this afternoon mention the same trade saying those talks are really heating up.

Don't you think that would be a dumb deal for the Skins? Samuels is already a heck of a LT. Why start over with a rookie?

The_Philster
04-10-2004, 06:48 PM
It's definitely a dumb move, IMO but I wonder how accurate that rumor really is. I just found this
Redskins deny pursuit of Gallery
The Washington Redskins yesterday denied a published report that they are looking to move up in this month's NFL Draft to select Iowa tackle Robert Gallery.
"April Fool's is eight days late," vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato said of an ESPN.com report that claimed Washington is "ardent in its pursuit of Gallery."
"At this time of year, there's so many rumors out there," Cerrato said. "These next two weeks, you can't believe anything you hear." ...more (http://washingtontimes.com/sports/20040409-115050-8726r.htm)

Novacane
04-10-2004, 07:11 PM
Who knows? They could be saying that it is BS because they don't want the Giants to move up to 1 for Gallery. On the other hand they could have leaked the supposed interest so the Giants would waste picks and move up for Gallery. should be a fun 2 weeks.

RedEyE
04-10-2004, 08:52 PM
How could the Redskins even afford to a pay a number 2 overall pick, let alone pay anyone drafted in the top 10?

They have to be in salary cap hell by now.

Dozerdog
04-10-2004, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
Peter King on WGR55 earlier this week was talking about a rumor the Redskins are trying to work a trade sending Chris Samuels and the #5 pick to Oakland for the #2 pick because the skins want Gallery.

Now I heard John clayton on ESPN radio this afternoon mention the same trade saying those talks are really heating up.

Don't you think that would be a dumb deal for the Skins? Samuels is already a heck of a LT. Why start over with a rookie?

It's a Brilliant trade on Al Davis's part- he wants one of the big WR's, and talked up Gallery this week and got a damn good LT out of it. He slides 3 spots, and will still get his man (Most likely Roy Williams)

The Skins do well here themselves. They shed Samuel's Salary (don't know what it is exactly) and move up and get an even better Tackle. For what they would have paid the 5th overall pick, minus Samuel's salary, they will save money.

It's an upgrade at the Tackle spot, but at the cost of a major upgrade elsewhere (Sean Taylor or Winslow).

Rumor had it that the Skins wanted to trade down from the 5 spot because they could not afford it, (Salcap) but now, they will save in the end.

A brilliant move on both sides, actually

BuffaloRanger
04-11-2004, 02:51 AM
Damn, the raiders would be killin' 2 birds with one stone.

mypoorfriendme
04-11-2004, 03:13 AM
mike williams belongs on the raiders. i just cant picture anyone else wearing a raiders jearsey

The Spaz
04-11-2004, 10:38 PM
The latest draft scoop is the Raiders and Redskins already might have a silent agreement to make a draft-day deal. The Raiders would trade the second pick in the draft to the Redskins for the fifth overall pick and LT Chris Samuels. The Redskins then would select Robert Gallery to replace Samuels. The Raiders then would take WR Roy Williams or TE Kellen Winslow. The deal makes sense on a couple of fronts. Raiders coach Norv Turner was Samuels' first coach in the NFL, and Redskins management has been frustrated over the inability to sign Samuels to a contract extension. The Redskins reached a similar impasse with CB Champ Bailey and subsequently traded him to Denver. . . .

One unheralded reason the Chargers and Raiders might like to trade out of the first and second spots in the draft: money. Both teams have poor fan support and unfavorable stadium contracts. To sign the first pick in the draft, the Chargers would have to cough up a signing bonus in the neighborhood of $15 million and commit to a contract worth approximately $46 million. . . .

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=draftdishraidersandredsk&prov=tsn&type=lgns

mypoorfriendme
04-12-2004, 12:34 AM
raiders a poor fan base? i guess the truth can be manipulated...i thought they have tons of die hard fans. but anyways, i really dont want this to happen because i hate the raiders and if this were to happen, they would be getting by far the better end of the deal.

i dont think this is true though considering why would you trade away an already good tackle just to get one with more potential? itd be like trading clements for deangelo hall or moulds for fitzgerald. it just doesnt make sense

Novacane
04-12-2004, 07:25 AM
you are right................it does not make sense but when does anything Dan Snyder does make sense?

ShadowHawk7
04-12-2004, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by mypoorfriendme
raiders a poor fan base? i guess the truth can be manipulated...i thought they have tons of die hard fans. but anyways, i really dont want this to happen because i hate the raiders and if this were to happen, they would be getting by far the better end of the deal.

i dont think this is true though considering why would you trade away an already good tackle just to get one with more potential? itd be like trading clements for deangelo hall or moulds for fitzgerald. it just doesnt make sense

Very true indeed.

Originally posted by Fairway To Green
you are right................it does not make sense but when does anything Dan Snyder does make sense?

ALSO very true indeed.
Trading Chris Samuels to move up 3 spots?? This guy is great, and trading him would be absurd IMO.

ShadowHawk7
04-12-2004, 09:33 AM
Oops, double post, sorry.

OpIv37
04-12-2004, 09:35 AM
where are the salary cap people? How can the Skins afford all the guys they got this year and still shell out a huge signing bonus plus several years for a #1?

Dozerdog
04-12-2004, 09:51 AM
I merged another thread with my thoughts on it with this one....

Dozerdog
04-12-2004, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
It's a Brilliant trade on Al Davis's part- he wants one of the big WR's, and talked up Gallery this week and got a damn good LT out of it. He slides 3 spots, and will still get his man (Most likely Roy Williams)

The Skins do well here themselves. They shed Samuel's Salary (don't know what it is exactly) and move up and get an even better Tackle. For what they would have paid the 5th overall pick, minus Samuel's salary, they will save money.

It's an upgrade at the Tackle spot, but at the cost of a major upgrade elsewhere (Sean Taylor or Winslow).

Rumor had it that the Skins wanted to trade down from the 5 spot because they could not afford it, (Salcap) but now, they will save in the end.

A brilliant move on both sides, actually

Dozerdog
04-12-2004, 09:55 AM
I read elsewhere that as of right now, the Skins a re something like $12 million over the 2005 cap, $35 Million over in 2006, and $45 Milllion over in 2007.

It will be a very short run .

OpIv37
04-12-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
I read elsewhere that as of right now, the Skins a re something like $12 million over the 2005 cap, $35 Million over in 2006, and $45 Milllion over in 2007.

It will be a very short run .

lmao- $12 mil in 05 is managable- that's 2 players. But after that, they're pretty much screwed.