PDA

View Full Version : Another Rumor

B-DON
04-11-2004, 04:59 AM
Quoting the USA TODAY SPORTS WEEKLY, "The rumors are strong that San Diego will trade the top pick and select NC St quarterback Phillip Rivers later in the first round."

April 7-14 edition. On sale now

Every day rivers falls farther away from our pick. and how late?

Novacane
04-11-2004, 07:25 PM
This rumor has been floating around out there for a couple weeks. I still say SD can't pass on Manning.

B-DON
04-11-2004, 07:38 PM
thats why i said another

Novacane
04-11-2004, 07:44 PM
Well, if they are as high on him as these rumors suggest it makes sense for them to move down and pick up extra picks.

I just don't think if they were as high on him as is being reported they would be making it so obvious. Teams lie about who they want this time of year. They probably truely want the guy they have said next to nothing about.

Novacane
04-11-2004, 07:45 PM
I would not be shocked to see them move down a little and take a WR. They have nothing there. Bries could still turn out to be something

Philagape
04-11-2004, 07:50 PM
Yeah SD needs a WR more than a QB

juice
04-11-2004, 07:50 PM
Could be a smokescreen but some of the sources sound legit... Do Rumers have sources?

Novacane
04-11-2004, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Philagape

Really! Flutie is not retiring until he is eligible for social security.:cheers:

gonzo1105
04-11-2004, 08:47 PM
The Chargers have a lot of problems and though Manning could be just as good as his brother they also belive that Rivers is just as good as Eli so their thinking behind it isn't that hard. If two guys are even and you know one of them is highly coveted and the other is somewhat coveted slide down 3 or 6 or however many picks you can and you still get the guy you want why not?

HAMMER
04-11-2004, 09:17 PM
If the Chargers play their cards right they could move back to Giants at #4 and get the Giants second rounder, then trade the #4 to move back around ten and get another second. At 10 they could still get Rivers. They could fill a lot of needs if they play it right.

I live in SD and have been less than impressed with what Butler (RIP) and now AJ Smith have done with the Chargers. If Smith doesn't get this draft right he will be looking for work next spring!

thefixer74
04-11-2004, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Philagape

SD needs alot of things,if you look at their team needs,everything is their but RB.

mypoorfriendme
04-12-2004, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by thefixer74

SD needs alot of things,if you look at their team needs,everything is their but RB.

which is why i think theyre especially primed to trade down. part of me says they wont want to gamble on another QB (leaf) but the other part says they dont want to pass one up (vick) although i think that worked out for the best because they may have not gotten vick, but they got LT who i think is a better football player

Lone Stranger
04-12-2004, 05:02 AM
Hammer has it on the nail, I don't believe that the Chargers want to pay the cost for the number 1. It makes senses to trade down for multiple choices to fill their many needs in such a rich draft.

carybillsfan
04-12-2004, 09:02 AM
The only reason for this is that the Chargers actually have Rivers rated way higher than the other two. They want to get rid of there pick badly because they don't want to over pay for Manning who they think is not as good as Phil. Trust its pretty much a done deal that SD will make a strong play for Phil. Marty loves the kid, he sent him video of how to help improve his footwork, now why would a coach be trying to help someone if they weren't gonna draft him?