PDA

View Full Version : Bills report: Strategy and personnel

The Spaz
04-12-2004, 09:56 AM
Starting DTs Sam Adams and Pat Williams form one of the NFL's top interior duos and backups Justin Bannan and Ron Edwards have been effective in relief. Veteran Oliver Gibson was also recently added as a free agent.

But things can go sour quickly.

Adams turns 31 and Williams 32 this season and it's not too early to plan for the future. This month's draft features three DTs scouts rate with star quality: Oklahoma's Tommie Harris, Miami's Vince Wilfork and Texas' Marcus Tubbs. The Bills have scouted all three in person, with DL coach Tim Krumrie checking out Harris at Oklahoma's Pro Day.

Also of note, Bills GM Tom Donahoe personally scouted Virginia Tech's Pro Day with his eyes on two intriguing players: CB DeAngelo Hall and C Jake Grove. The Bills signed veteran Troy Vincent to replace the departed Antoine Winfield but would not let a blue-chipper like Hall pass them by with the 13th pick. Atlanta covets Hall at No. 8 but Buffalo has done its homework.

As for center, the Bills triggered a bonus that ties Trey Teague up through 2005 but it's no secret they'd like to upgrade the position. Grove (6-3, 300) is a superb prospect - big, tough and smart. For value purposes, Buffalo hopes Grove slips to the second round but it may be asking too much that he falls all the way to 43rd. The team of concern is the New York Giants, who need to rebuild their line and pick 34th in round two.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/report/BUF/7249786

JefftheBillsfan
04-12-2004, 11:25 AM
if the bills still drafted Hall, well then I think I quit.

The Spaz
04-12-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by JefftheBillsfan
if the bills still drafted Hall, well then I think I quit.

You don't think TD and Modark know talent? I may not be happy if we drafted Hall but I wouldn't be upset about it either.

Jan Reimers
04-12-2004, 11:29 AM
Fix the stinking offense first.

ScottLawrence
04-12-2004, 11:38 AM
The DT's are a concearn..... I think Adams is going to retire soon and Williams is a FA next year.

It could turn into a big problem.

JefftheBillsfan
04-12-2004, 11:45 AM
i have no problem drafting a DL as that can be considered both a need for this year as well the future. We are set at CB for this year, and if Hall showed equal promise that McGee did this year, then he had at least an average rookie season for his standards. Not to mention we still have Kevin Thomas too.

Jan Reimers
04-12-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by JefftheBillsfan
i have no problem drafting a DL as that can be considered both a need for this year as well the future.

I think WR is even a bigger need for this year and the future. We have exactly one proven receiver - Eric Moulds - who I believe is older than either of our starting DTs, and is coming off an injury plagued season.

Reed may prove to be very good, but he is still more of a possession guy, while Shaw is a decent journeyman and Aiken a total unknown.

We need a big time WR.

Mr. Miyagi
04-12-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers
We have exactly one proven receiver - Eric Moulds - who I believe is older than either of our starting DTs
Moulds is only 31.

Jan Reimers
04-12-2004, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
Moulds is only 31.

Actually, Moulds and Sam Adams are 30 at the moment, but will be 31 before the start of the season. Pat Williams will turn 32 in October.

But my point stands. Our only proven receiver is not a young man, and is coming off a serious injury. We need WR help more than DT help IMO.

B-DON
04-12-2004, 04:21 PM
serious injury? how about lingering injury?

HAMMER
04-13-2004, 02:14 PM
If it lingers into next year or reappears it is serious. If it compromises his play in any way, it is serious.

thefixer74
04-13-2004, 03:06 PM
Its just hard to say,the draft class is so deep you would think it would be hard to blow it.

Mr. Miyagi
04-13-2004, 03:29 PM
Great sig, fixer. :up: