PDA

View Full Version : Report: Bengals nab Gardener

Halbert
04-12-2004, 10:10 AM
Seems like they shouldn't be able to come to an agreement before being officially released.

http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2004/04/12/spt_sptzdig.html

The Denver Post reported Sunday that the Bengals have reached an agreement with defensive tackle Daryl Gardener on a four-year, $9.3 million contract, and that the deal will be announced this week.

The Post said Gardener will be released by the Broncos June 1, at which time he will officially be allowed to sign with Cincinnati.

Dozerdog
04-12-2004, 10:42 AM
I disagree.

The players, if it's known they are going to be cut- can use the extra time to look for new jobs.

I'm sure all 32 teams knew he was going on the market- or at least the teams on Gardener's short list.

June 1 is just a paperwork deadline.

Ebenezer
04-12-2004, 10:44 AM
This is also happening with somebody else but can't remember who...heard it on Thursday..

ryjam282
04-12-2004, 10:55 AM
It's a shame what drugs do..He was pretty good at one time.

juice
04-12-2004, 11:18 AM
Yeah illegal drugs like Ephedra are destroying the league.

Devin
04-12-2004, 03:01 PM
Gardner used to be a freakin beast, just huge.

Tatonka
04-12-2004, 03:17 PM
gardner had a drug issue? i thought he just had disciplinary issues.

B-DON
04-12-2004, 04:05 PM
When did he have drug issues? i know that the other dt they had got busted with ectasy

thefixer74
04-12-2004, 07:07 PM
I think he had injurys and a poor work ethic.I don't know about drugs.

TigerJ
04-12-2004, 08:17 PM
Gardiner in particular has had back problems. He hasn't always been the greatest team guy either. I don't know anything about the drug issue.

Ickybaluky
04-12-2004, 08:32 PM
Gardner agreed to an amended contract with Denver where he forfieted some of his signing bonus, which had been deferred and Denver hadn't paid him yet. As a result of that agreement, Denver agreed to release him and gave him permission to talk to other teams, even though they couldn't afford to release him until after June 1.

By releasing Gardner after June 1, Denver pushing off the signing bonus acceleration until next year. They also will receive a credit for the signing bonus money next year that Gardner forfeited (the CBA stipulates that signing bonus money forfeited or repaid by the player gets credited to the team's cap the following cap year). Thus, cap-wise the money offsets.

That is why Gardner is able to work out a deal with Cincinnati. The agreement he has with Denver grants him permission to talk to other teams, even though he will not be a free agent until he is released after June 1.