PDA

View Full Version : Flipping picks

The Spaz
04-12-2004, 07:00 PM
San Diego general manager A.J. Smith is remaining tight-lipped over the confirmed talks between the Chargers and New York Giants surrounding a potential swap of first-round draft picks. Since he won't speculate, I'll expand the possibilities to include another AFC team, Miami.

Why the Dolphins? Considering that AFC East rival New England has nine picks -- including four in the top 64 -- Miami's window of opportunity for remaining competitive with the salary-cap savvy Patriots is closing fast.

Say the Giants move from No. 4 to first overall after a trade with San Diego and also give up a second-round pick as part of the package. If that happens, the Dolphins may be tempted to trade their first-round choice (No. 20) to San Diego for its two second-rounders (No. 34 from the G-Men and its own No. 35).

The Dolphins do not have a second-round pick (Miami's choice -- No. 56 -- belongs to New England as part of a 2003 draft day deal), so they are currently looking at a pick at No. 20 and a lot of waiting until the 87th spot rolls around. Now I ask you, which would you rather have: two of the top 35 players, or two of the top 87? That's what I thought.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=flippingpicks&prov=cnnsi&type=lgns

mypoorfriendme
04-12-2004, 07:13 PM
itd be smart for the dolphins to do that....but the dolphins front office isnt exactly what youd call "smart"

B-DON
04-12-2004, 10:23 PM
my thoughts exactly

DraftBoy
04-12-2004, 10:24 PM
Id like to see them move up too. Who they gonna take Gallery. hes gonna be a stud but they mortgage yet another draft.

BillsRockSOMUCH
04-12-2004, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by mypoorfriendme
itd be smart for the dolphins to do that....but the dolphins front office isnt exactly what youd call "smart"
:beers:

mypoorfriendme
04-12-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by DraftBoy
Id like to see them move up too. Who they gonna take Gallery. hes gonna be a stud but they mortgage yet another draft.

i think its talking about the dolphins trading down...at first i thought it meant moving up to the top 5...but its talkign about trading their 20th for the chargers two second ruonders