X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

Carucci updated mock draft

4/13/2004 - Vic Carucci - April 10, 2004 -- In light of the April 9 trade that saw the Denver Broncos and Cincinnati Bengals swap first-round draft picks, here's an updated early look at how the first round of the 2004 NFL Draft could unfold:

1. San Diego: Eli Manning, quarterback, Mississippi Analysis: Although there are all sorts of rumblings about the Chargers trading out of this pick, it continues to be theirs and it continues to look as if Manning is their choice for long-term quarterback stability. Analysts who have studied videotape of Manning's pre-draft workouts weren't as overwhelmed as one would expect for a projected top overall pick. The Chargers shouldn't fear they might be getting another Ryan Leaf, but there doesn't seem to be much of a talent gap between Manning and the next two highly rated quarterbacks in the draft, Ben Roethlisberger and Philip Rivers.

2. Oakland: Robert Gallery, offensive tackle, Iowa Analysis: Gallery has all the makings of a dominant tackle for many years to come, which is the best possible way for the Raiders to address a crying need. They might be tempted to select Ben Roethlisberger or Larry Fitzgerald, but Gallery is capable of enhancing the passing game even if it consists mostly of aging skill players.

3. Arizona: Larry Fitzgerald, wide receiver, Pittsburgh Analysis: This pick places Dennis Green's unmistakable stamp on the second "turnaround program" -- he never uses the term "rebuilding" -- of his coaching career. He is determined to put together another high-powered offense like the one he had in Minnesota, and Fitzgerald, whom he has known since the former Pitt standout hung out at the Vikings' training facilities as a youngster while his father covered the team for a Minnesota weekly newspaper, represents an ideal main ingredient.

4. New York Giants: Ben Roethlisberger, quarterback, Miami (Ohio) Analysis: The Giants would love to select Gallery, but it doesn't seem possible as long as they stay in this spot. With Kerry Collins probably headed for free agency next year, the Giants need to begin grooming a quarterback of the future. Roethlisberger seems to possess all of the primary qualities Tom Coughlin considers vital for the position -- smarts, discipline, poise and leadership.

5. Washington: Tommie Harris, defensive tackle, Oklahoma Analysis: The Redskins could always go with offense here and select Miami tight end Kellen Winslow. Still, Harris seems to nicely fill a glaring need up front. He has good upper-body strength and overall power, although his most lasting impact will result from exceptional quickness and penetration in pass-rushing situations.

6. Detroit: Kellen Winslow Jr., tight end, Miami (Fla.) Analysis: The Lions need a running back, but there doesn't appear to be one worthy of selection this high. They also could be thinking defense, but Steve Mariucci's greater concern is getting more production from Joey Harrington and the rest of his passing game. Winslow is capable of making that kind of a difference.

13. Buffalo Bills: Will Smith, defensive end, Ohio State Analysis: The Bills must put more teeth into their pass rush, and it seems unlikely they will resist a chance to land one of two exceptional pass-rushing ends that should be available -- Kenechi Udeze or Smith. Of course, the Bills do need a quarterback of the future, and if Rivers is here, he will merit strong consideration. They also need a big-time receiver, and they will probably take a long look at Roy Williams, Mike Williams (if he is eligible and falls this far) or any of the other talented wideouts on the board.

• ryjam282
    Offical Billszone Starting QB
    • Mar 2003

Vic sure isn't too clear on the Bills pick is he...Could take a pass rushing end...or Rivers....or WR...Nice job Vic, thanks for the...NEWS

Ryan Withey
    Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
      • Jul 2002

Plus Roy Williams will be long gone.

Comment

• Dantheman1280
        I am the Man!
        • Mar 2004

Roy may be there

Comment

• Michael82
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dantheman1280
          Roy may be there
          If he is...then it's a no brainer! I don't care who else is there...but if Roy Williams is there..the Bills HAVE TO take him.

Comment

• ScottLawrence
            • Jan 2004

I would like the pick of Will Smith or Kenechi Udeze in the first round.
            You're right, I am a coward! I haven't any courage at all. I even scare myself.

Comment

• Turf
              • Jul 2002

We need a DE more than a WR.
              Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

Working...
              X