PDA

View Full Version : Mularkey

BidsJr
04-13-2004, 09:32 AM
Says he likes TOUGH football players, receivers who like to get physical in the running game, and says o-line is center to the success of HIS football team.

Also when asked about Henry/McGahee says the main thing he is doing not only with them, but the rest of the players is evaluating their talents so the system can be built around them. NOT forcing a system onto the players so that they fail or a "series" will fail.

I like the narrow thinking of series to series, trying to string together possesion time and 1st downs.

I hate to do comparisons in philosophy with a coach that hasn't coached a down but I liken his approach to a Gibbs/Schottenheimer/Parcells team. (remember Otis Anderson in the SB, that kind of team.)

During our search I was very pro Kirk Ferentz because his philosophies mirrored the above, and it seems that Mularkey is from the same school of thought.

Let's just see how firm he holds to it.:boozer:

Tatonka
04-13-2004, 11:11 AM
good post.

DraftBoy
04-13-2004, 11:30 AM
I agree and I think MM will be a fine choice

BAM
04-13-2004, 11:32 AM
i'll tell you what i think of him around week 8 of the season :)

justasportsfan
04-13-2004, 11:46 AM
He's done diddly poo for the team.

I'll wait and see.

Philagape
04-13-2004, 12:18 PM
He's replaced the offense, which is huge.

Tatonka
04-13-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by BAM
i'll tell you what i think of him around week 8 of the season :)

that is the bottom line.. it doesnt really matter what we think of him right now.. that can all change with a handful of wins or losses.

McBFLO
04-13-2004, 12:27 PM
i love the staff he put together. i think the new staff is going to make ALL the difference. Playoffs this year!

Kolbiss
04-13-2004, 12:55 PM
I miss Gilbride!

chernobylwraiths
04-13-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka

that is the bottom line.. it doesnt really matter what we think of him right now.. that can all change with a handful of wins or losses.

This is so true. I am really looking to see HOW the offense plays, or more precisely what plays they run. As much as I want to give this staff a fresh slate, I am also a little jaded by the last staff that told us all along that we were going to run the ball more and so on and so forth. If they make the commitment to the run and still lose games, well at least I want to see that commitment to the run, and that means still run the ball even if we are down by 14 early in the second half. Our last staff seemed to panic when we were down by more that a TD and sometimes by less than a TD and just gave up on the run. That had me about as frustrated as anything else.

SABURZFAN
04-13-2004, 01:20 PM
what he says and what he does are two different things.he can't be any worse than the last couple of bumbling idiots that we've had for a coach,can he?

ScottLawrence
04-13-2004, 01:26 PM
I agree.... I love the moves he has made with the staff and what he says his philosophy will be for this up coming season.... hopefully he sticks to his guns.

BidsJr
04-13-2004, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by BidsJr

I hate to do comparisons in philosophy with a coach that hasn't coached a down but ...........boozer:

I will wait until next year as well.

But I like what I see so far.

If he sticks to a Parcells, Gibbs, Ferentz philosophy we will all be happy!