PDA

View Full Version : WR Rd 1 is a "No Brainer"

juice
04-13-2004, 02:44 PM
Some seem to be of the thought that we have greater needs than the WR position even though it was our Pathetic Offense that couldn't produce points games at a time or touchdowns Months at a time.

I think you have to fix what was broken first... A deep threat would at least open things up for EM.. and if he gets hurt like last year you have more of a playmaker to plug in and you have the hope and belief that a Reed or Aiken can step up and help in production.

Bulldog
04-13-2004, 02:56 PM
At some point the Bills have to start grooming a replacement for Moulds. Considering how long it takes most WRs to adjust to the pro game, I would start the grooming as soon as possible. That being said, a WR with great potential can be had in the 2nd or 3rd round. If Rivers is not there when the Bills select, I would either take Tommie Harris(if he is still avaible) or trade down and draft an OL.

EDS
04-13-2004, 03:03 PM
I think the best solution was mentioned already - trade down into the twenties and draft Evens or Jenkins while picking up an extra second or third. Then you can draft a lineman later.

ScottLawrence
04-13-2004, 03:07 PM
You can easily get a descent WR in round 2 if you really wanted..... I disagree with this topic. If Kenechi Udeze or Thommie Harris are still on the board, I would think for a while before I make my decision on a WR.

A bunch of SOLID recievers who in any other draft would be taken in the first, will still be there in the second.

Evans
Jenkins
Woods
Clayton
Henderson are all SOLID recievers who could make it to us in the second round.

juice
04-13-2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog
At some point the Bills have to start grooming a replacement for Moulds. Considering how long it takes most WRs to adjust to the pro game, I would start the grooming as soon as possible. That being said, a WR with great potential can be had in the 2nd or 3rd round. If Rivers is not there when the Bills select, I would either take Tommie Harris(if he is still avaible) or trade down and draft an OL.

One of the Williams kids could be an impact player in the pass game this year and might be able to contribute in the return game like D. Hall for KC. That year or two learning curve is what separates the Williams triplets top 10 picks and kids like Reed 2nd rd. picks

juice
04-13-2004, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by ScottLawrence
You can easily get a descent WR in round 2 if you really wanted..... I disagree with this topic. If Kenechi Udeze or Thommie Harris are still on the board, I would think for a while before I make my decision on a WR.

A bunch of SOLID recievers who in any other draft would be taken in the first, will still be there in the second.

Evans
Jenkins
Woods
Clayton
Henderson are all SOLID recievers who could make it to us in the second round.

We want to make sure we get a speedster who can catch and not another A. Brown.

schobelisdaman
04-13-2004, 03:16 PM
Any of the Williams im happy with in the first.........if not no later than a second round reciever.

ScottLawrence
04-13-2004, 03:24 PM
Evans(5-10) ran a sub 4.4 at his pro day.
Jenkins(6-4) ran a 4.42 and a 4.38 at his pro day.
Woods(6-2) ran a sub 4.5 at his pro day as did (6-2)Michael Clayton
And Henderson(5-11) ran a 4.38 at his pro day.

All of them have good size and solid speed.

juice
04-13-2004, 03:30 PM
Evens is kinda short but Henderson at 5-11 4.38.. Question is can they catch and contribute year one?

ScottLawrence
04-13-2004, 03:31 PM
What do you mean contribute? He isn't going to be like Anquan Boldin. But, Im sure he can spread the field for Moulds and Reed and will definitly make some what of a contribution.

ryjam282
04-13-2004, 03:35 PM
WR in the first is a NO, not a NO Brainer...If Rivers is gone. We trade down and possibly get Vernon Carey. Then in the 2nd, we get a WR ....There is plenty of WR's to get one in the 2nd.

Bulldog
04-13-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by juice

One of the Williams kids could be an impact player in the pass game this year and might be able to contribute in the return game like D. Hall for KC. That year or two learning curve is what separates the Williams triplets top 10 picks and kids like Reed 2nd rd. picks

Juice, name off the most recent WRs who have made a significant impact in their rookie year. For you to say that any of the Williams triplets will contribute right away is absurd. And define what you mean by contributing. Josh Reed contributed in his first year. He obviously was no A. Bolden, but who is. None of the Williams triplets will put up numbers like that.

TedMock
04-13-2004, 03:41 PM
A contributing rookie WR is looking at 2 catches a game for a big average. I don't believe that we need to find that in the first round. I doubt any of the "big 3" QB's will be there at our pick. Then we look at Tommy Harris or Vince Wilfork. They may not be there or, at that point, can fall even further down. In that case, I'd love to see us trade down. Hell, trade down twice. Get a stud OL in Carey or a 2nd tier DT like Randy Starks from Maryland. We have a million options and none of them are bad. I'm pretty comfortable with this draft.

Bmax
04-13-2004, 03:56 PM
I AGREE WITH YOU JUICE . For the past couple of months i have been saying that the bills best bet would to draft a wr or de even if rivers was available. The only qb's i would draft in the first 13 are manning and rotheseberger...I don't think we will have to worry about any of the three i think all of them will be gone by the time we pick. Drafting carey after a trade down would not give us the impact player we need in rd 1...

Drafting lee evans in rd 2 is not an option ...Evans is zooming up draft boards and is a lock for rd1 If he last to rd 2 and is their for the bills .. he will be a steal just like price was ....

UDEZE WILL MORE THAN LIKELY BE GONE TO JAX OR TEXAS...

So look for the bills to either trade up for a qb or just draft williams at 13.. reggie that is ....

Bmax

Tatonka
04-13-2004, 04:04 PM
Evens is kinda short but Henderson at 5-11 4.38.. Question is can they catch and contribute year one?

NO WRS WILL CONTRIBUTE IN THEIR FIRST YEAR!!! i dont care what round they are drafted in..

josh reed will have the last laugh..

you dont have to have 4.3 speed to be a deep threat.. you have to run good routes and be in a good offense.. kildrive is the culprit.. not our wrs..

casdhf
04-13-2004, 04:09 PM
I'd like to see us trade down for more picks and take Carey, Losman or DT Starks. Unless someone like Big Ben or a definately to 10 pick falls to us, in which case I would still trade down for a ransom. Skill positiosn in the 2nd and 3rd; Take big men early.

Bert102176
04-13-2004, 04:16 PM
Evans
woods
clayton none of them will be there at our 2nd pick

Bert102176
04-13-2004, 04:18 PM
I think 6 or 7 WR's possibly even 8 could go in the 1st round

Tatonka
04-13-2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Bert102176
Evans
woods
clayton none of them will be there at our 2nd pick

pretty sure they said the same exact thing about peerless price and josh reed.

never say never.

BigZ
04-13-2004, 04:22 PM

We want to make sure we get a speedster who can catch and not another A. Brown.

Originally posted by ryjam282
WR in the first is a NO, not a NO Brainer...If Rivers is gone. We trade down and possibly get Vernon Carey. Then in the 2nd, we get a WR ....There is plenty of WR's to get one in the 2nd.

A TALL speedster! I love to see the problems with a 5'9" CB trying to cover a 6'4" WR.

Bert102176
04-13-2004, 04:25 PM
but after Fitzgerald, and the 3 Williams are gone I would like Evans he didn't drop anything thrown to him at his pro day

Mr. Cynical
04-13-2004, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by zielinski

A TALL speedster! I love to see the problems with a 5'9" CB trying to cover a 6'4" WR.

Agreed. Just look at Moss and how he is able to grab balls in the end zone even when perfectly covered. I would love to have that on our team.

And yes, I said grab balls in the end zone.

juice
04-13-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
NO WRS WILL CONTRIBUTE IN THEIR FIRST YEAR!!! i dont care what round they are drafted in..

josh reed will have the last laugh..

you dont have to have 4.3 speed to be a deep threat.. you have to run good routes and be in a good offense.. kildrive is the culprit.. not our wrs..

If the Bills draft a WR at 13 they will be expecting him to contribute this year. If you had a Man who had 4.3 speed and you were looking at him as the FUTURE, Post Moulds, Why wouldn't he be looked to as a legit Deep option, a major Contribution doesn't mean he will take a starting position. Reed is a solid #3 reciever but DOES NOT get deep and CANNOT create separation.

juice
04-13-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog
Juice, name off the most recent WRs who have made a significant impact in their rookie year. For you to say that any of the Williams triplets will contribute right away is absurd. And define what you mean by contributing. Josh Reed contributed in his first year. He obviously was no A. Bolden, but who is. None of the Williams triplets will put up numbers like that.

Randy Moss. You dont think Fitzgerald will be an impact player wherever he ends up?

Boldon was no way near the caliber reciever these Williams kids are coming out of college... A 1st rd. draft choice is only an injury away from having to step up as a rookie impact player... just like Boldon.

A good coaching job by Tolbert and all three starters could all of a sudden live up to potential.

Jan Reimers
04-13-2004, 05:57 PM
I agree with Juice. Get the best WR available in Round 1 - one of the Williams should be available at 13. If not, trade down for Evans later in the 1st round. Get a Losman if available, or a stud O lineman in Round 2. Maybe a TE in the 3rd.

The offense stunk last year. Fix it.

juice
04-13-2004, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers
I agree with Juice. Get the best WR available in Round 1 - one of the Williams should be available at 13. If not, trade down for Evans later in the 1st round. Get a Losman if available, or a stud O lineman in Round 2. Maybe a TE in the 3rd.

Who wants to sit through another year of will the Bills ever Score again... Who would know better than Moulds.. and If you ask Bledsoe I bet he wouldn't say go with Will Smith. Give these guys the tools they need.

Lefty2985
04-13-2004, 06:44 PM
We should get some oline in here to protect the QB's!!!!

ScottLawrence
04-13-2004, 06:59 PM

Who wants to sit through another year of will the Bills ever Score again... Who would know better than Moulds.. and If you ask Bledsoe I bet he wouldn't say go with Will Smith. Give these guys the tools they need.

They have the god damn tools..... The tools weren't utilized right. I definitly think we should cover WR in the first day but, it doesn't neccesarily need to be in the first round. MM has emphasized TOP, Wearing the defense down. Which to me, means running the ball. You watch, Josh Reed is going to have a very nice season.

Did you forget that Moulds was injuried all year long?

Jan Reimers
04-13-2004, 07:03 PM
Moulds will be that much better with a complimentary speed guy and an improved Josh Reed.

juice
04-13-2004, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by ScottLawrence

Did you forget that Moulds was injuried all year long?

How could anyone forget last seasons scoring drought... Thats when it became apparent that Moulds was our only playmaker and that we needed someone else who could get deep.

Dantheman1280
04-13-2004, 08:50 PM
I agree juice. If god forbid moulds gets hurt agian we are in the same situation as last season. A heap load of no passing game

juice
04-13-2004, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Dantheman1280
I agree juice. If god forbid moulds gets hurt agian we are in the same situation as last season. A heap load of no passing game

Maybe we will be the First team in the league to run the ball 65-70% of the time.. we do have two POTENTIAL 1000 yd rushers.. Oh yeah there is only one football to hand off.. Better hope WM can play WR.

Bled2Hen
04-13-2004, 09:44 PM
i just want a wide reciever,, that is just like perless price, even better. i think we can get that in round 2, also. but if roy williams is there,, wow! idk, i think i would have to pull the trigger on him.

Dozerdog
04-13-2004, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers

I completely disagree.

There are so many WR's, and the 4th through 10th WRs aren't that far apart in talent.

But if you don't grab a DE or OL early, the drop off from the 4th through the 10th best at those positions is significant.

Do you Get the best DE and one of the Best WR's?

Or do you want one of the Best WRs, and an OK DE

BigZ
04-13-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by kal123

Agreed. Just look at Moss and how he is able to grab balls in the end zone even when perfectly covered. I would love to have that on our team.

Exactly!!!!!

BuffaloBlakely14
04-13-2004, 10:30 PM
Reggie Williams is far above any of 5-10...he is going to be a steal for whatever team gets him ... I hope it is us ... almost every draft scout has him possibly being the best of the big 4 and a top 3 talent...he was hampered by a sketchy Washington team last year...and is said to be the most ready to contribute immediately at the position along with Fitzgerald...I say we go Williams in the first, Watson or Losman in the 2nd and then for a guard in the 3rd...

juice
04-13-2004, 10:37 PM
I could live with that as long as we address the QB issue at picks 2 or 3. Whats up Port City

The Natrix
04-13-2004, 10:52 PM
If the big 3 QBs, the big 3 WRs, Udeze, Harris, Taylor, and Winslow are gone, I say trade down and take Carey, then get the best available WR and QB, and then after that I don't really give a rats ass.

I would be dissapointed with Reggie Williams or Will Smith at #13.

The Natrix
04-13-2004, 10:56 PM
...but honestly if we can nab Losman in the second, I really don't care who the first is used on.

My worst fear is the big three QBs are gone in the first and then Losman isn't there in the 2nd. If that happens it is hello Todd Collins version 2.0 until he proves otherwise.

Bulldog
04-14-2004, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by kal123

If you want a tall WR with speed, why not grab the kid from Ohio State(Jenkins?). He would probably be there in the second or later.

juice
04-14-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by The Natrix
...but honestly if we can nab Losman in the second, I really don't care who the first is used on.

My worst fear is the big three QBs are gone in the first and then Losman isn't there in the 2nd. If that happens it is hello Todd Collins version 2.0 until he proves otherwise.

Will trading up to pick #9 with Jacksonville get Ben or Phil?