PDA

View Full Version : Drafting an O-lineman early doesn't work without a trade

EDS
04-13-2004, 03:30 PM
Seems like a lot of people are making noise about drafting a lineman early - specifically Carey, Andrews and Grove. However, none are worth the 13th pick in the draft so that is out. Plus, all three will likely be gone by the Bills second round pick. Personally I think Andrews or any tackle (excluding Gallery who is not an option) would be a wasted pick - none are good enough to even be the third tackle (possibly fourth) on the team - and it makes no sense to move Jennings. Jennings may leave next year but Price, who can be resigned to a reasonable deal, and maybe even Sullivan are good options at left tackle down the road.

Arguably center and guard are needs, particularly center. Problem is, unless you get Grove or Carey it is unlikely that any one else in the draft can beat out the bills incumbents.

So, bottomline I think offensive line only works with a trade down or a lower round find.

Tatonka
04-13-2004, 05:12 PM
andrews is one of those guys that one team may have very high on their board and another may have lower in the first..

he could play guard.. definately. he is 345lbs. i would not say that he is a reach at 13.. it is what td thinks, not us. andrews was widely considered a top 10 pick prior to his weigh concerns, which seemed to be a slip.. as the guy got back down to 365 by the combine and is now at 345.

i think he could be a quality pick and play guard.. and insurance if jennings takes off after this year..

but overall, i think your right.. he is the only OL other than gallery, that is potentially worthy of the pick.

a trade down would be necessary for carey or grove. or possibly even a second rounder.